/sigh/twombly

How do you recommend describing language ability on a cv/for a grad school application? For example, I just started taking German and plan to continue taking while I apply in the fall and until I (hopefully) begin grad school. How do I indicate that I am a beginner but plan on improving the skill prior to entering grad school? I speak French (conversationally) and can read it. I don't want to exaggerate my language abilities but I also don't want to undersell them.

I also took 3 years of Latin in high school (most of which I've forgotten) but I feel like I would be able to learn it again pretty quickly because of my previous experience--worth mentioning? (I am interested in studying Roman art so it's relevant) 

Also, any insight on how much background in languages (how many languages, how fluent) schools like to see from applicants or advice on studying languages during a gap year?

• 3 months later...

I have mine listed by level of fluency and then in what form and how it was acquired.  That's what the application requested.

So:

Modern Dutch; fluent (reading, writing, speaking, listening, college minor)

Early Modern Dutch; fluent (reading, writing, speaking, listening, research language)

German; semi-fluent (reading, writing, speaking, listening, college minor)

French; conversational (reading, writing, speaking, listening, college minor)

Italian; conversational (reading, listening, travel and self study)

Frisian; conversational (reading, listening, travel and self study)

Afrikaans; conversational (reading, listening, self study)

If you are studying ancient art, the standard expectations are that you can read Greek/Latin. You'll also be expected to read German and either French or Italian. You may want to consider picking up Latin again sooner rather than later.