American Studies Cycle 2017/2018

amstu

On 1/30/2018 at 1:00 PM, jpbends said:

I also applied to USC, for American Studies & Ethnicity. A former cohort member of mine got his acceptance last week so I'm counting this one out for me. Hopefully they're just being really slow about acceptances and we both get in! ;)

I also applied to USC ASE. Not holding my breath despite one of my POIs in the program wrote me a letter of rec. 

Haven't seen any activity for this application season yet, but I am ready to assume Brown is a rejection. However, I did have a short email exchange late summer 2017 with the current Chair of American Studies there, and he did give me some advice (general, but still appreciated) in terms of how to tailor my application to Brown.

I also had a brief email exchange with Robert G. Lee, one of my original POIs until he told me that 2017-2018 was his last year teaching full time at Brown. He did suggest some other POIs to look into, as well as to make sure my SOP and Writing Sample are strong.

It's my second time applying to Brown's American Studies, so we will see!

5 hours ago, Ian Han said:

Yah I looked on USC's website and it says that they accept 6-8 students a year, and I know 2 people personally who have gotten in + the 2 people who have posted on gradcafe about their acceptance :( so so sad. I'm kinda giving up lol

Yeah, USC is a tough nut to crack for ANY program. 

37 minutes ago, deshypothequiez said:

@evanmarie Spoke too soon--just got the email. Michigan wasn't particularly high on my list, so I'm not gutted.

good! I thought I would be more upset than I am, though I am using it as an excuse for ice cream!  What is your top choice?

@evanmarie My top choice is NYU AmSt, but I'm not counting on it seeing as someone posted in results search already. Second choice is NYU MCC, which has a later admissions schedule (they should be starting to contact people for interviews soon...). Third choice is Northwestern, where I have an interview coming up.

12 minutes ago, HistorianInTheMaking said:

Just saw someone posted their acceptance for Brown....Time for me to break out the ice cream and cry tonight. 

officially panicking about that one as well!!! AH

1 hour ago, HistorianInTheMaking said:

Just saw someone posted their acceptance for Brown....Time for me to break out the ice cream and cry tonight. 

Been waiting for my rejection from there pretty much since I applied. I expect my rejection soon then!

Any word on Harvard or additional movement on Brown? I was waitlisted atbHarvard last year and they called before Valentine’s Day, so I would assume rejection this year if not for the silence about AmSt here. I  have a good offer that I will likely accept from elsewhere, but I just want to know first.

Ughhh. Another stressed AmSt Brown & Yale applicant here (also UPenn, but in Eng). Seems like all of my schools have notified at least the first round of acceptances...so I'm not holding my breath. I'll be on campus at Brown today, so I triple dawg dare them to notify me while I'm there. ha. 

Does anyone know whether admission decisions are actually posted to ApplyWeb (I'm guessing under "View Checklist")? So far I haven't seen any decisions posted and am now wondering if my constant refreshing is misguided. My Brown app status says "Complete" and UPenn says "Ready to Review." 

Hang in there! Fingers crossed for ev'rybodyyyy. These somewhat subjective admission decisions in no way should determine self-worth or intrinsic value. And don't despair: the job market is so terrible that not getting an acceptance may be dodging a bullet. Case in point: the campuses where I adjunct (I'm an English instructor w/ 2 masters degrees) are overwhelmed by PhD-wielding applicants right now, which is not a great sign. 

Big congrats to everyone who has an offer this round. 

I called Yale and was told results were still being compiled, so don't stress! 

1 hour ago, roadrunner_33 said:

Ughhh. Another stressed AmSt Brown & Yale applicant here (also UPenn, but in Eng). Seems like all of my schools have notified at least the first round of acceptances...so I'm not holding my breath. I'll be on campus at Brown today, so I triple dawg dare them to notify me while I'm there. ha. 

Does anyone know whether admission decisions are actually posted to ApplyWeb (I'm guessing under "View Checklist")? So far I haven't seen any decisions posted and am now wondering if my constant refreshing is misguided. My Brown app status says "Complete" and UPenn says "Ready to Review." 

Hang in there! Fingers crossed for ev'rybodyyyy. These somewhat subjective admission decisions in no way should determine self-worth or intrinsic value. And don't despair: the job market is so terrible that not getting an acceptance may be dodging a bullet. Case in point: the campuses where I adjunct (I'm an English instructor w/ 2 masters degrees) are overwhelmed by PhD-wielding applicants right now, which is not a great sign. 

Big congrats to everyone who has an offer this round. 

We seem to have applied to many of the same schools. Penn English has been devastating 

10 minutes ago, HistorianInTheMaking said:

Congrats to those who have been admitted :) 

I officially got rejected by Yale...Now I am waiting on Brown and Harvard. I hope they let us know by the end of the day today; the waiting is the worse part. 

omg I literally just called and they said next week. SO CONFUSED. Waiting is awful, but I am so sorry you didn't get into Yale!

13 minutes ago, HistorianInTheMaking said:

Congrats to those who have been admitted :) 

I officially got rejected by Yale...Now I am waiting on Brown and Harvard. I hope they let us know by the end of the day today; the waiting is the worse part. 

how did you hear from yale?