American Studies Cycle 2017/2018

amstu

Hi everyone. I wish you all good luck with your applications.

I applied to 5 different programs this year: University of Minnesota, Saint Louis University, Boston U., and Bowling Green State University. I heard very good news from SLU, which was really exciting. It seems like that`s where I will be headed next year.  I haven`t heard anything from other programs yet. 

13 minutes ago, Trachtenberg said:

I applied to 5 different programs this year: University of Minnesota, Saint Louis University, Boston U., and Bowling Green State University. I heard very good news from SLU, which was really exciting. It seems like that`s where I will be headed next year.  I haven`t heard anything from other programs yet. 

Congrats. And good luck with the rest of your applications. 

I applied to 3 AmSt programs and 3 Comm/Media programs - haven't heard back from any of the AmSt depts, but expecting a reject from USC. (I'm a little upset about it, but USC wasn't super high on my list...)

I'm trying to prevent myself from checking results search this week because I expect NYU and Michigan admits to go out in the next couple of days. This is my second time applying to NYU and I'll be really upset if I don't get in again :\

I called the American Culture at U Michigan today. They let me know that they made their decisions and they should be sending out admission decisions by the end of this week/early next week. 

Brown said sometime this month.

Yale said possibly in one to two weeks. 

I also got admitted off of the waitlist for UT-Austin today. I am ecstatic! 

24 minutes ago, HistorianInTheMaking said:

I called the American Culture at U Michigan today. They let me know that they made their decisions and they should be sending out admission decisions by the end of this week/early next week. 

Now I'm even more nervous!

12 minutes ago, Ian Han said:

Nah, but I'm guessing I was rejected because I know 3 people who were accepted into the program a few weeks ago. 

Yeah, I also assumed I wasn't getting in, but I didn't receive an official rejection yet. (I'm not hopeful, but USC is in the middle of my list anyway.)

6 minutes ago, Ian Han said:

I just wish I knew when NYU or Brown was calling :( those are my top 2 choices. 

I'm also waiting for NYU. It looks like they typically notify accepted students around Feb 9-11 or so, so I'm assuming if I don't hear back by the end of next week, it's a no...

18 minutes ago, deshypothequiez said:

Yeah, I also assumed I wasn't getting in, but I didn't receive an official rejection yet. (I'm not hopeful, but USC is in the middle of my list anyway.

yeah USC has a great program, and my friends got way more $$ than peers who are currently at UChicago and NYU, which I was shocked by. Kinda bummed but staying positive! 

15 minutes ago, Ian Han said:

yeah USC has a great program, and my friends got way more $$ than peers who are currently at UChicago and NYU, which I was shocked by. Kinda bummed but staying positive! 

For sure! For me, it's just lower on my list because (1) NYU fits my research interests better, (2) I'm already living in New York, and (3) I don't drive, so I need reliable public transportation...

10 minutes ago, deshypothequiez said:

For sure! For me, it's just lower on my list because (1) NYU fits my research interests better, (2) I'm already living in New York, and (3) I don't drive, so I need reliable public transportation...

makes total sense!! hopefully we both hear from NYU soon!! I have faith in us. 

50 minutes ago, Ian Han said:

makes total sense!! hopefully we both hear from NYU soon!! I have faith in us. 

18 hours ago, HistorianInTheMaking said:

I am sorry, I don't mean to spike up your nervous level :( I am extremely nervous too. This waiting game is making time move slow! 

BTW, do either of you know if Michigan or NYU did interviews? I'm assuming not since I didn't see anything on results search (and NYU hasn't had an interview listed there since 2013).

33 minutes ago, decolonizeyourmind said:

I'm fairly certain that they do not interview. Decisions should be coming out soon (I already got into another department at UMN and that's the impression I got when I alluded to AMST). I applied to Brown and UMN, so anxiously waiting to hear back as well!

For some reason, I assumed that they do. So, I was being a little pessimistic about my chances.

Yeah, on their FAQ page it says that we should hear about the decision early February. I expect it very soon!

Congratulations and good luck! 

15 hours ago, CulturalCriminal said:

Congrats!

Do you think that's your top choice, or is there another program you've got your fingers crossed over?

Thank you. I am waiting to hear back from three more programs. UT-A is not my top choice, but it is high on my list. As soon as I hear from them & funding, I will make up my mind. 

58 minutes ago, Trachtenberg said:

Yeah, on their FAQ page it says that we should hear about the decision early February. I expect it very soon!

Programs that give an admissions timeline on their FAQs: you the real MVP!

On 2/5/2018 at 8:07 AM, Trachtenberg said:

@Trachtenberg, congrats on the good news from SLU! Are you person who indicated a waitlist from them on Jan 12? I’m wondering when you applied and what they said about the waitlist.