Joint MA in higher education and MBA

2013grad

Hi everyone. I'm curious if anyone has feedback on joint MA in higher education and MBA programs. I'm interested in working in higher education administration one day, and it seems like the management and leadership courses in an MBA could be a strong compliment to a higher education masters. In addition (and I know some may disagree), I think the MBA could be a unique and marketable degree.

About me: I currently work in education policy, and I'm considering one day working at the campus-level in administration. I'm more interested in the administration side (strategic planning, work with the President's office, government relations) than student affairs. I'm considering a masters in higher ed, but I'm intrigued by the joint program. 

Both Stanford and Michigan have MA/MBA programs. (Stanford is a joint degree; Michigan is a dual degree.)

Any thoughts?

Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Amol888 said:

According to me MBA is best option for your future, because in MBA you can explore yourself in any field related your work. 

Thanks for the feedback! Do you mind explaining more? I'm curious why the MBA may be a better option than a program tailored to higher education management and leadership. 

I think it depends on what you're hoping to do with the degree. I've seen some people that are pretty high up in edtech companies with the Stanford degrees. If you're more interested in higher ed administration or working in the public, a masters or doctorate might be more financially reasonable. The MBA is going be pretty expensive, so you're going to want to go into a space where you can pay back the loans.

What are the credentials that most people have in that field?  Research that, if you haven't already.  In most cases, it's probably just the MA in higher ed.  If so, I'd just go with that.  You don't realize it now, but the cost of two grad degrees can be crippling!  Like the previous poster said, if you're looking towards the biz side of things, take a hard look at Stanford...or Harvard or TC (schools in areas with a strong business ecosystem).  That way, in your MA or EdM, you can take full advantage of business electives, business talks and hob-knobbing with new friends/colleagues at the b-school (a decent number of b-school kids are interested in applying their skills to the education field).  

If I were you, that would be my path.  Also, take a hard, long look at the ed electives themselves.  Some of them can get surprisingly "business-like".  That compounded with a few electives at a b-school and a good internship, might be all you need.

Depending on the school, you might also be able to do an MBA with a lot of education electives.  I had classmates wanting to do real estate and planning; there wasn't a real estate concentration, so they took classes in architecture, law, and other related subjects elsewhere in the university.  If you plan it right, you can get the best of both.