I have my bachelor's degree in Spanish and speech pathology (double major). I was accepted to grad school for slp, and I attended a year, however, I was going through a really difficult period in my life and I ended up not being able to continue in the program because after re-taking a class, I got a C. I know that I was completely unfocused, and if I could take it all back and start it over, of course I would.  I then took some special education classes after that, and did a semester of student teaching, which stands as an Incomplete on my transcript. I did fine in my teaching and I had all my assignments turned in, except the final project was not uploaded to the internet. I am going to contact the school about getting credit for the student teaching, but needless to say, there is a sufficient amount that I am not too proud of on my record.

My GPA cumulative is 3.3 and my GPA in speech is 3.1.

My GRE is 147 Q and 153 V and 4 AW.

I have been working as an English language learner paraprofessional in an elementary school where I do small 40 minute reading groups (that focus on phonics, decoding, or comprehension) with kids who's primary language is Spanish.

I have also been volunteering at a Conductive Learning Center in a classroom with students that have cerebral palsy. I also do tutoring, and I am going to volunteer at the local Hispanic Center.

I am going to apply to grad school again and I am wondering what my chances are of getting in? Any tips on where to apply or what I could do to get in?

I applied to one school a couple years ago, and did not get accepted.  And since I already have tons in loans, I can't really afford to go anywhere in the country where I would pay DOUBLE. I already owe an astronomical amount, so I am mainly looking at schools that are all online, or the ones in my state.

The funny thing is, I have read so much about how Spanish bilingual speech pathologists are in SUCH GREAT NEED- and HERE I AM, yet I feel I BARELY have a chance!  I must say, I really don't get that. If they are in such HIGH NEED, you would think the field would WANT to scoop me up- that they almost have a DUTY TO DO SO, even if my marks aren't stellar.

Is it hopeless?

And this will probably have to be my last shot at being an SLP. I will have to move on, and choose something else that I don't completely want to do, so I can get a real paycheck.

• 2 weeks later...
On August 17, 2017 at 1:54 PM, YankeeDoodleDandy said:

I have my bachelor's degree in Spanish and speech pathology (double major). I was accepted to grad school for slp, and I attended a year, however, I was going through a really difficult period in my life and I ended up not being able to continue in the program because after re-taking a class, I got a C. I know that I was completely unfocused, and if I could take it all back and start it over, of course I would.  I then took some special education classes after that, and did a semester of student teaching, which stands as an Incomplete on my transcript. I did fine in my teaching and I had all my assignments turned in, except the final project was not uploaded to the internet. I am going to contact the school about getting credit for the student teaching, but needless to say, there is a sufficient amount that I am not too proud of on my record.

My GPA cumulative is 3.3 and my GPA in speech is 3.1.

My GRE is 147 Q and 153 V and 4 AW.

I have been working as an English language learner paraprofessional in an elementary school where I do small 40 minute reading groups (that focus on phonics, decoding, or comprehension) with kids who's primary language is Spanish.

I have also been volunteering at a Conductive Learning Center in a classroom with students that have cerebral palsy. I also do tutoring, and I am going to volunteer at the local Hispanic Center.

I am going to apply to grad school again and I am wondering what my chances are of getting in? Any tips on where to apply or what I could do to get in?

I applied to one school a couple years ago, and did not get accepted.  And since I already have tons in loans, I can't really afford to go anywhere in the country where I would pay DOUBLE. I already owe an astronomical amount, so I am mainly looking at schools that are all online, or the ones in my state.

The funny thing is, I have read so much about how Spanish bilingual speech pathologists are in SUCH GREAT NEED- and HERE I AM, yet I feel I BARELY have a chance!  I must say, I really don't get that. If they are in such HIGH NEED, you would think the field would WANT to scoop me up- that they almost have a DUTY TO DO SO, even if my marks aren't stellar.

Is it hopeless?

And this will probably have to be my last shot at being an SLP. I will have to move on, and choose something else that I don't completely want to do, so I can get a real paycheck.

My senior year of college I did absolutely horrible, C's in every single class, I was burnt out and just trying to keep my head above water (3.01 GPA overall and around 3.1 in speech).  I applied to graduate school regardless and was denied to all 11 schools, without a single interview offered.  I felt super bummed out and considered other careers but ultimately decided I would work (assistant teacher in a preschool) and retake courses I did awful in.  I feel that by retaking classes and doing well in them in showed my dedication and perseverance (3.38 in speech). I will begin my graduate program in about 2 weeks.

You should definitely be doing things that show you are 110% dedicated and maybe even explain what happened in the past that led you to not continue your program.  Admissions committees are surprisingly understanding that we are all humans and not everything works out the way we wish it would.  Maybe even contact the head of application committees at schools you are thinking of. I say give it your best shot if this is truly what you want to do! 

Good luck!