Building a portfolio and finding MFA Programs

Lefiont

Hi All!

I'm new to this forum and am an aspiring candidate to an MFA program. The problem is, I don't know which one or what to look for! I'm sure there are a million of these threads and everyone has a different story. I'm just trying to get some guidance for my particular scenario. I'm finishing my BA as a non-traditional student. My educational background was studio art, but this year I H ad to switch to a Graphic Design program and will be finishing in that program. So, my BA will be in graphic design but I want to get into an MFA studio art program - this is where my focus is even today while I'm finishing my BA degree. So, I don't have a large body of work and this is something I'll be working on over the next few months.

So, first - as an online student who is working on entering a program outside of their final degree program, are there any resources for helping me to build a portfolio? Peer groups or anything?

Are there programs that might be more appropriate for me than others based on my situation? My primary focus is drawing/painting and encaustic painting (using mixed media interdisciplinary).

Is there a list of mixed media/interdisciplinary MFA programs across the US? To be honest (except maybe NYC), I'm open to almost anywhere. Just looking for a good program where I can learn and grow.

Any guidance you can provide for me?

Thanks in advance and have a great day!

Phil

You should post images of your work and an artist statement. Attending National Portfolio day annually will also prove to be very helpful and could potentially serve as a resource 

On 8/25/2017 at 4:52 PM, Zander said:

You should post images of your work and an artist statement. Attending National Portfolio day annually will also prove to be very helpful and could potentially serve as a resource 

I just built a portfolio online. Here's the link! I know many of these pieces need to be fleshed out a bit but this will give me a place to start:

https://philliphoyt101.myportfolio.com/projects

11 hours ago, Lefiont said:

I just built a portfolio online. Here's the link! I know many of these pieces need to be fleshed out a bit but this will give me a place to start:

https://philliphoyt101.myportfolio.com/projects

Thanks for sharing your artist website. MFA programs are very competitive. Maybe wait 3-5 or more years before applying! Looks like you're just getting starting there's no rush. Good luck! 

2 hours ago, Zander said:

Thanks for sharing your artist website. MFA programs are very competitive. Maybe wait 3-5 or more years before applying! Looks like you're just getting starting there's no rush. Good luck! 

I appreciate the feedback. I guess I still have a long way to go. :( Thank you for your time in replying.

• 1 month later...