Applying to Psychology Graduate School without an Honors Degree and research experience (Canadian)

RebootedJordan

Hey guys, I'm a recent graduate from the University of Manitoba and was planning on applying to graduate school for Clinical Psychology or Social Psychology programs and was wondering if I can get into these programs without having an Honors degree and no research experience. I've looked into a bunch of programs and they all either state Honors degree or equivalent required or preferred.

Here's some Background: I graduated with a 4 Year Bachelors of Science degree with a Major in Psychology and minors in Chemistry and Biology. My first two years I was majoring in Biochemistry but taking electives in Psychology, which interested me. After my first 2 years, due to my horrific GPA (2.5 on a 4.5 scale) and realizing I was more passionate about Psychology I switched majors. These last 2 years I've taken all Psychology courses and have maintained a perfect GPA of 4.5 out of 4.5 in all of my courses, and I also had A+s in all of my Psychology courses I took as electives, while I was still a biochem major. So my CGPA isn't the greatest but my Psychology GPA and last 2 year GPA is good.

I wrote my GREs and did okay ( VR - 158, QR-163, AW- 4.5). I have no research experience as of right now. In terms of volunteer experience, I have lots of hours put in at a seniors home and hospital, but this was during my first 3 years of university. Also, for work experience I don't have anything relevant or related to Psychology. So in other words, my ECs and suck.

Do I still have a chance at getting into any grad clinical psych or social psych program in Canada or USA? Which one's do you guys think I have a shot in or recommend? Any advice or feedback on the matter would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: I'm open to applying to US schools

Edited by RebootedJordan

No reasearch experience is going to be a tough sell for any legitimate American clinical psycholoy programs or higher tier social psych programs (the same for Canada I've heard). 2 years is the minimum I'd recommend and maybe a year if you have very high gpa/gre scores. This is mostly because these field are so competitive that it doesn't make sense to take someone with no research experience over an applicant who's already learned how to help run an entire lab. I would say take off 2 years, find a paid research position (which allows you to save some money for app fees and interview travel), get yourself on 2 posters or preferably a publication and then apply. HTH!

I agree with @8BitJourney, though 2 years may be a bit long (even though it is quite realistic). Given the ultra competitiveness for Social and definitely Clinical Psych, perhaps an alternative to cutting down the years you need to take time off is to do an honours thesis at your current undergraduate institution during your gap year. While doing that, also look into volunteering at labs so that you can solidify your research experience simultaneously. For Clinical, I would also advise volunteering to work with special populations (depending on some of your research interests and eventual career goals). Some examples may be suicide hot lines, mentorship networks for individuals with intellectual disabilities, geriatric care centres, etc

GPA-wise, you're set. Canadian schools only really look at the last two years. Good quant score, and good math skills is better for you in the long run. You definitely need research experience–not only to show you can "do" research but because you need people to write your letters of recommendations. I'd say volunteer for a whole year before even applying.

I know some people who did a research-based Master's, but in Canada, those are all tied to the PhD program. My advisor told me that they essentially assess applicants to admit into the Master's based on whether they think they'll move onto the PhD. There are some American schools that offer terminal Master's programs, but I don't think they're worth it if they're not funded.

On 8/19/2017 at 6:01 AM, RebootedJordan said:

without having an Honors degree and no research experience. 

PhDs are research degrees. It will be a tough sell convincing a program that you're now interested in 5-7 years' research when, by skipping the honours thesis, you passed on the major chance an undergrad has to conduct (semi)independent research. 

In the U.S at least, you'd have to be open to applying to Masters programs because of your lack of research experience & cumulative gpa. However, usually there is no funding for Masters programs, only for PhDs so I would advise against it (depending on your financial situation). If you were able to get really good GRE scores, this would definitely help your chances of getting accepted into a PhD.

There's also the option of a clinical PsyD doctorate, which are way less competitive but aren't typically funded & very expensive overall.

Just wanted to mention that there are actually a few funded research masters programs in Canada if that's something you're interested in. I know of several clinical students who did an MA at Carleton beforehand, and I believe there are also master's programs at a few smaller universities. 

On 8/19/2017 at 7:01 AM, RebootedJordan said:

Hey guys, I'm a recent graduate from the University of Manitoba and was planning on applying to graduate school for Clinical Psychology or Social Psychology programs and was wondering if I can get into these programs without having an Honors degree and no research experience. I've looked into a bunch of programs and they all either state Honors degree or equivalent required or preferred.

Here's some Background: I graduated with a 4 Year Bachelors of Science degree with a Major in Psychology and minors in Chemistry and Biology. My first two years I was majoring in Biochemistry but taking electives in Psychology, which interested me. After my first 2 years, due to my horrific GPA (2.5 on a 4.5 scale) and realizing I was more passionate about Psychology I switched majors. These last 2 years I've taken all Psychology courses and have maintained a perfect GPA of 4.5 out of 4.5 in all of my courses, and I also had A+s in all of my Psychology courses I took as electives, while I was still a biochem major. So my CGPA isn't the greatest but my Psychology GPA and last 2 year GPA is good.

I wrote my GREs and did okay ( VR - 158, QR-163, AW- 4.5). I have no research experience as of right now. In terms of volunteer experience, I have lots of hours put in at a seniors home and hospital, but this was during my first 3 years of university. Also, for work experience I don't have anything relevant or related to Psychology. So in other words, my ECs and suck.

Do I still have a chance at getting into any grad clinical psych or social psych program in Canada or USA? Which one's do you guys think I have a shot in or recommend? Any advice or feedback on the matter would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: I'm open to applying to US schools

I wouldn't worry about your GPA honestly. As long as you are looking at schools that don't get a ton of applications, you should be fine in that aspect. You have clearly shown you can excel in psychology. My thoughts echo most other responses, your lack of research experience is definitely going to hurt you. One route (that's been mentioned) is to apply to a terminal masters program first to garner research experience and show you can excel in a graduate program. However, this is the expensive way to go. I'm currently going this route and so far I am happy with my decision. However, I have had some life obstacles and I felt a master's program first was my best option. I think for you it would be worth taking two years off and getting a job as a research assistant. I say two years because most places (at least in New England where I live) require a two year commitment. This way you can get exposed to research and you will get paid. If you go that route, try to take advantages of the opportunities that any potential employee has and try to get involved in publications and/or poster presentations. Either way you choose I would suggest studying for the GRE and retaking. While your scores are decent, I think it will be greatly beneficial to you to improve in verbal, and it wouldn't hurt to bump up your quant score as well. Good luck!

On 8/22/2017 at 7:03 AM, hsnl said:

Just wanted to mention that there are actually a few funded research masters programs in Canada if that's something you're interested in. I know of several clinical students who did an MA at Carleton beforehand, and I believe there are also master's programs at a few smaller universities. 

Could you elaborate on this please? Do you mean research programs for me to get research experience in prior to applying to the Masters or do you mean I should look into smaller universities with research masters programs? Thanks

Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice. I'm new to the forums so I don't know how to tag people.

I've taken all of your advice and I'm planning on applying to some terminal Masters programs related to the fields I'm interested in this next application cycle. I have also applied for a few research positions and relevant work positions, as well.

3 hours ago, RebootedJordan said:

Could you elaborate on this please? Do you mean research programs for me to get research experience in prior to applying to the Masters or do you mean I should look into smaller universities with research masters programs? Thanks

Some smaller universities have terminal masters programs in experimental psychology. I'm not sure which schools exactly because I haven't looked into it in a while. These might be a good way to get research experience. 

On 8/27/2017 at 4:57 PM, hsnl said:

Some smaller universities have terminal masters programs in experimental psychology. I'm not sure which schools exactly because I haven't looked into it in a while. These might be a good way to get research experience. 

Carleton's MA program is terminal and they have a good social psych program (a lot of people stop with just the MA, but you have the option of moving onto the PhD). Most Canadian universities that I've seen that aren't combined MA/PhD programs have terminal Master's degrees (they admit with the expectance that you'll proceed to the PhD, but many don't anyways).