Reapplying

Hi guys, so I've applied to in-state(texas) grad schools 2 times and I've been waitlisted/rejected. I've gotten pretty down with the process but know that this is what I want to do. I just don't know what schools I should apply to with my stats. I have taken the GRE twice and I don't think my score is improving or going to.If anyone has the same stats and was accepted to a university, please let me know. I'm at the point where my parents are forcing me to go another route and I'm really not ready to do that. I've worked as a paraprofessional within a speech therapy program at an elementary school and in the office of their ECI team for the last year now. 

Stats: 

last 60: 3.8 

overall: 3.4

speech:3.6 

gre: 

verbal:145 

math:144 

Writing: 4 

I don't know if it's possible for you to move out of state, but maybe looking at different programs would help? I've heard that casting a wider net and applying to schools all over the US can be helpful (and it may be possible to get a GAship or something that could help with tuition). I believe I've heard that schools in the midwest tend to be less competitive. I think that if you also look at schools that value last 60 credits GPA over your general GPA it will definitely help. Some schools list what they consider most important in their instructions for applying.

I also don't know your situation, but how have you been prepping for the GRE? Have you tried using Magoosh/a tutor? I only ask because your scores are low for the field (most programs want at least a combined score of 300). I know you mentioned that you don't think retaking it would improve your scores, but since your GPA is a below a 3.5 it may help boost your application considerably.

Definitely dedicate a couple months to studying for the GRE (magoosh and ETS materials) to raise your GRE scores. Spend 2-4 hours each day studying if you have to. With your stats and high GREs, along with applying to more programs (look into online programs), you should get in somewhere. Good luck!

I would try arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi schools! I was in the same boat and then I applied to all out of state schools and got into every single one. Just look at the tuition first.

It took me 3 different cycles to be accepted into grad school! Now my dream of starting in my program is happening in a couple of days! ? Like others have mentioned is it possible for you to apply out of state? The first year I applied to all in-state schools because I didn't want to move out of state! That was my first mistake. I had almost identical gre test scores as you after taking it three times. After I realized I needed to be more open to possibilities all over the place that fit my gpa and gre range. I used asha edfind to match my statistics to past applicants. While others have said its not always accurate I feel this helped me. I also read that ways you can make up for low areas of your application are strengthening other parts. I did this by gaining experience working with kids and bumping up my letters of recommendation from 2-3 to 4. I picked past work experience and professors that knew me well and could give a solid leg up for me. After all this I was accepted into 3 awesome programs and waitlisted at others! I know this was long but I hope it helped! Remember the time will pass anyway might as well have your time pass reaching toward a goal! Don't give up! ?

I was in a similar situation, I applied my senior year undergrad and didn't end up getting in anywhere so I had to reevaluate what I was gonna do and if I wanted to go a different route.  Ultimately, I realized that speech therapy was my real passion and I would give it another go.  We have similar scores (153 verbal, 3.5 analytical writing, heir professors, 144 quantitative) but your GPA is higher than mine, 3.36.  I agree with everyone you need to spread your applications out and not just focus on your home state.  Look at the average scores schools accept and go from there, I also found it helpful to look at how many people applied as compared to how many people they accepted.  Also, read the biographies offered by most schools on their department websites.

It is definitely a plus that you have a good amount of work history in related areas!  I would highlight that in your statement of purpose and focus on how you chose to continue trying to get into graduate programs despite receiving rejections (shows that you really really want this and application committees are truly looking at the entirety of your personality and demeanor as opposed to strictly numbers.  If you truly want this I believe it will happen for you!

Good luck!