I would wait a couple more days for Berkeley. Spring semester starts on the 9th for them and instruction begins on the 16th, so that's probably when they'll start reviewing applications. Most schools won't start looking at them until after winter break, and so far I've only heard from Princeton. Happy New Years!

Edited by lordtiandao

Happy New Year! Newbie, here! I've submitted 4 PhD applications (CU Boulder, Berkeley, University of Oregon, UHawaii Manoa) for modern Japanese lit, specifically poetry. I haven't heard back from anyone yet, but the later two applications are due today, so I'm not expecting to hear anything for a while. I do feel pretty nervous about what @costevens said about CU Boulder since it may be my top choice. There's a professor there who focuses on modern poetry and she was very interested in my project when we skyped in October. Hoping they are doing some kind of rolling interview process!

8 hours ago, NaitoBaron said:

Welcome @kochan!

Are interviews that common when applying to MA and PhD in EALC? I was under the impression that admission decisions are based solely on submitted materials. And what kind of questions do they ask you at such interviews?

It depends on the school. I think Columbia explicitly stated that they will not be doing interviews and I think the UCs are not doing them either. But a lot of schools don't mention interviews but still have them.

I could be wrong, but it may also have to do with how much contact you've had with your POI prior to applying. If you haven't had much contact, they may request an interview to hear more about you and your project (but I'm not sure if this is the case). I do believe it depends on the school. I've heard from friends that University of Washington does not do interviews, while Princeton has consistently done so in the past. I've also known Columbia to do interviews in the past, but per @lordtiandao, perhaps they are not doing so this year. I know that UCLA has also done informal follow-up calls in previous years, but I can't say whether they are doing so this year.

How much contact have people had with their POIs? I'm in Japan, so Skype or email were my only two options, but I had pretty lengthy Skype calls with 3 out of my 4 schools in October and November (For Berkeley, I emailed quite a bit with my POI but not call).

I've sent emails to 9 professors and 5 of them got back to me but most of them were short and simple e-mails encouraging me to apply. I've exchanged lengthy emails with one who was very interested in my work and encouraged me to apply, while another offered to Skype me and discuss my interests but then never got back to me (I think because he's too busy) so I'm planning on sending him another e-mail after winter break.

That's quite stressful. Adding the interview to the application process makes this whole thing look like a job application (which in some sense it is, especially for Ph.D. candidates).

I think some entrepreneurial postgrad should write a book on how to apply to humanities programs such as EALC.

I have another question. In choosing POI, should one choose a tenure-track assistant professor or an established, named, distinguished professor?

@kochan I didn't have much contact with CU Boulder prior to submitting my application. I received an email claiming that the department was impressed with my application. The interview seemed more like they were trying to attract me to the department (they weren't grilling me at all), so I'm presuming I'll get in there (fingers crossed). She claimed I should hear from them anytime now. I wouldn't worry too much if you already had contact with a POI. Maybe they'll just send you an acceptance. 

I traveled and talked to around 5/6 professors. I emailed around 12 but several of them didn't get back to me. I also talked with graduate students and assistant professors; these people proved to be very useful. 

@NaitoBaron Each seems to have its advantages. The most important issue seems to be your rapport with the POI/department. Working with a tenure-track assistant professor could prove more useful to your career, as they will be around longer before retirement, but working with a distinguished professor provides you with a breadth of experience to draw advice from. Each seems to have its pros and cons. 

@lordtiandao Congrats on hearing back from Princeton! I heard Anna Shields is pretty great! Keep us posted. 

Welcome @kochan!!

Hope everyone had a nice holiday season and Happy New Year!

@lordtiandao So you had results come back from Princeton?? Did you apply to EAS (PhD)? :blink: Have yet to hear from any of the programs (not surprised though, given everyone's most likely still on winter break) but wasn't expecting anything for a good while...

@lordtiandao Congratulations, that seems like an exciting step forward! Am I correct to assume (from your signature) that you('ll) have an MA already? I applied to Princeton too but with only a BA, I don't think I'll be getting into any PhD programs yet. *sigh* Have to try anyway though! Still early days, too, I suppose.

@kotatsumuri Getting into a PhD program straight from undergrad is probably the best outcome! You can receive a free MA en passant and build relationships early. Also, big universities tend to spend most of the energy and resources on PhD students. Applying to both PhD and MA programs at the same time seems like a sensible strategy. Several friends of mine got into PhD straight from BA so it's possible. The one who got into a PhD in Classics told me as long as you have certain courses they look for, they're willing to consider you for admission. The other one who got into a PhD in a quantitative field got in thanks to having a few years of work experience at an economic consulting firm. I think if you have both (1) relevant courses, e.g. the program requires 3 years of Japanese for all candidates and (2) relevant East Asian work experience, your chances of admission probably increase! Anyway, good luck! Fingers crossed for you! :)

Edited by NaitoBaron

Hey Folks,

Quick update on CU Boulder: I was accepted with a teaching assistantship and a fellowship. Quite pleased with this offer, as it will allow me to attain a Master's degree debt free. The department is also filled with scholars interested in Chinese literature; seems like a pretty great place to do an MA! Looking forward to hearing back from other schools, but will probably go with Boulder because of the financial incentive. 

How is everyone else doing? Any word from other schools? 

@costevens Congratulations, that's really exciting news!! Sounds like the best way ever to start the results season!

No updates yet with my apps...just a few stray emails here and there for getting accounts on the schools websites to check results, etc.

Congrats @costevens! I have a few friends who did their MA at CU Boulder on the Japanese side, and from what I've heard, that school is really, really great for the MA. I've been told that they actually devote more energy into their MA students than their PhDs (rare for a university!) It's a great stepping stone, solid program.

No updates with my apps yet either, but I've only just submitted two on January 1st.

Hi everyone! I just received a letter from the chair of EALC Chicago admission committee. Informing me for a Skype interview this weekend.  Anyone has the similar experience to share?  Have not heard any news from all the other schools though.

Thanks everyone! @NaitoBaron CU Boulder does seem to have a great record of placing their students in top PhD programs. Plus, as an avid outdoorsman, I've always romanticized moving out West, and Boulder is the bonafide nexus for outdoor enthusiasts in the contiguous US. Seems like a real good choice for me, and I feel so lucky to have received admission so early in the process. 

@kochan I'm sure the Japanese adcom at CU Boulder has a different timeline than that of the Chinese counterpart. Hoping you receive some good news soon! 

@SUMMER715 Congrats on the interview with Chicago! What will you be studying there? I met an absolutely amazing PhD student of Korean studies (she is an incredible poet as well) at a conference this past Fall. I'll definitely be looking into their PhD program when it comes time for me to apply. 

@kotatsumuri Forgive me for not looking back through the pages, but how many programs are you applying to, again? You're going for Japanese literature (not sure which period), correct? Wishing you the best of luck!

@costevens Thank you! I'm actually a history/religion person and I will be studying (roughly) the Heian period wherever I go! I applied to 8 programs; 5 MAs and 3 PhDs. I also agree the Colorado will be an amazing place for experiencing the outdoors! Those Rockies:wub: I was in Yellowstone/Teton over the summer (not CO, I know) and it was amazing. The West is beautiful!

@SUMMER715 I wish I had some advice for you, but I know there are other threads out there for interview tips!! Definitely do a search and I'm sure you'll find something useful.