GRE Study Options - how to pick one?

Haley_1990

I've been using the Kaplan GRE Prep Plus 2018 book to study for a few weeks (at first, passively and for a solid 3 weeks with multiple hours a day dedicated to practice problems and the online resources), and my practice test scores are getting worse. I take the test on Saturday and am confident that I will need to retake it. I'm wondering what study resources to use for the second time around. Perhaps the Kaplan method isn't helpful for me, and I'll find more utility out of other self-guided practice books/online resources, or if studying in person with a tutor or even taking the Kaplan course in person will be best. Does anyone have prior experience with not seeing their scores improve after studying? If so, what method was most helpful for moving your scores up?

Thanks for the advice!

I never used Kaplan, but I remember hearing it wasn't very accurate. I used the Princeton Review book, which I found to be good and it prepared me well for the test. I think I took some Magoosh practice tests online, which were also good. If you have access to a GRE tutor that you can meet with in person, that might be worth a shot (so long as it isn't cost prohibitive) if for nothing else, studying with another person can often break up the monotony of GRE studying! 

Do you know your scores yet? Do you think retaking it is a definite thing? Wishing you the best. 

I am using empower GRE and Magoosh in combination with multiple book resources such as the 5 lb practice problem book. It is working well for me, I have been studying for a month and my quant is up by two points.

Kaplan is said by some to be not emulating the original GRE questions so well as some other materials. This could include the similarity in passage/math difficulty, the vocabulary and the structuring and juxtaposition of the choices. My experience is to work on more simulating materials such as official verbal/quant guides and Magoosh (Manhattan is said to be a good resource as well), and to analyze the individual questions well afterwards to summarize tips and thoughts in answering certain types of questions, things like why A is eliminated and why B is chosen. 

Edited by schenar

I took the Manhattan course twice and found it very useful. I was scared of the math but am strong on the verbal. I am interested in getting old GRE tests. Does anyone know how to acquire them? I would much rather use the real tests though Manhattan does replicate them well. I don't think Kaplan does a good job from the practice tests I have seen. The actual GRE looks a lot like the Manhattan prep, but my head is fried from studying! Any advice on material would be great!

In my case, I am currently juggling between Magoosh, Preped and Kaplan. So far, Preped has courses from different test prep experts. They are somewhat a test prep platform since they also offer courses for the following exam: SAT, IELTS, ACT, etc. Kaplan is really good too I am still trying their trial versions, same with Magoosh.