Will it be helpful to consider research fit seriously for admission?

statff

Hello, this is my first post here:)

I am an international applicant and planning to apply for the 2018 Fall Statistics program.

I am currently browsing each school website for some information which could be helpful for my school list.

I have a question here:

Though ranking is the most important aspect when deciding which school to apply, just in terms of admission strategy/possibility, will it be helpful or meaningful to apply for schools whose faculty and research fit me well and strongly emphasize that point in my SOP or CV? 

I heard stat/math phd admission process cares more about quantitative record(GRE, gap, etc.) than SOP/CV. 

Also there is possibility that my research interests may change over time and the information I get from websites seems somewhat uncertain and glimpse. 

I just don't know what would be a suitable strategy deciding schools. 

I need some advice and help from here..

Thank you.

If you actually have meaningful research experience in a particular area (or areas), then it makes sense to target schools that specialize in those areas. Otherwise, I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it.

On 2017. 9. 16. at 3:38 AM, cyberwulf said:

If you actually have meaningful research experience in a particular area (or areas), then it makes sense to target schools that specialize in those areas. Otherwise, I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it.

Thank you for your reply. I am finalizing my list.