What can you do with a Masters in General Psychology?

peachappleorange

I've done a bit of research but I was wondering if someone could inform me a little more. Very soon, I'm going to graduate with my undergrad in Liberal Studies ( I was planning on becoming an elementary school teacher), but I'm very interested in psychology now. I've been volunteering at a nonprofit agency that offers counseling services to family violence victims. I'm also working full time as a home health aide. Because of this, I'm leaning towards online masters programs. Is it true that a masters in general psychology will help you get entry level jobs in counseling? Or what else can you do with it?

4 hours ago, peachappleorange said:

I'm leaning towards online masters programs

Honestly I don't see how an online degree could help towards a career that focuses on face-to-face contact, unless it somehow included supervised clinical hours. If you like what you're doing now, you might have more luck asking your coworkers what paths they took and seeing what credentials they have.

4 hours ago, peachappleorange said:

I've done a bit of research but I was wondering if someone could inform me a little more. Very soon, I'm going to graduate with my undergrad in Liberal Studies ( I was planning on becoming an elementary school teacher), but I'm very interested in psychology now. I've been volunteering at a nonprofit agency that offers counseling services to family violence victims. I'm also working full time as a home health aide. Because of this, I'm leaning towards online masters programs. Is it true that a masters in general psychology will help you get entry level jobs in counseling? Or what else can you do with it?

General psyc degree will allow you to get some exposure to psychology and you can apply to phd or masters in counselling psychology. If you want to do counselling, I suggest you look into MSW or Master's in Counselling. In terms of counselling psyc online degree, there is Yorkvill U (http://www.yorkvilleu.ca/programs/graduate-programs/master-of-arts-in-counseling-psychology/) and Columbia for online MSW. 

I would urge you to look into programs in your area. As a person above me mentioned, it is more beneficial for you to learn face to face when it comes to counselling psyc. 

There are many hybrid programs where you do the coursework online and then have supervised clinical practica. Aside from counseling and social work, there are also programs in Marriage & Family Therapy that would satisfy educational requirements for licensure.