Phd Programs that ask if you wish to be apart of the MA program if rejected, what does this mean?

Mr. X

Hi All,

Application season is upon us and I know the gears are on full speed right now. That being said, this is my second attempt in applying for doctoral program––never submitted an application since I was still unsure what I wanted to focus my studies on, and in retrospect, I am immensely happy that I did not––but I recall when looking into the steps of submitting the application, it asked if you wish to be considered to be a part of the MA program if rejected. Now, what does this exactly mean? I have asked Professors and they do not have a solid response to it. In other words, is it another way to possibility extract a year or two worth of tuition from students? If accepted into the MA program first, is it usually funded? I assume if placed into the MA track, maybe they see potential and place you there to see if your have what it takes to enter into the doctoral program? I am just weary of selecting yes in this part. I just wanted to hear the experiences of others.  

Thank you as always to this community.

Hey OP,

It could mean any of the options you stated above. In my case, one of the schools that rejected me (in anth) offered to move my application to the MA pool instead. Considering I only had one semester left in my own MA (also anth) I considered this to be an automatic thing they did for all rejected applicants (and obviously said no). They may see the MA program as a way to get money to help fund the doctoral program or they may think you have potential but aren't yet ready for a doctoral program. There's no real way of knowing.

Either way, it probably doesn't hurt your chances to say you'd be interested in their MA if rejected from their PhD, as long as you'd actually be interested in their MA. If anyone else has more insight though, I'm all ears. 

It could be a lot of different things to the school. These are just a few. I'm sure there are more:

• School are overwhelmed by the amount of applicants. They have to turn away a lot of  qualified students. However, if the student is willing to get an MA, the student can prepare themselves for the PhD program by taking prereqs for the doctoral while in their MA. They can weed through students who really want into their program, train them for the specific program better, and line up their interests better with students of interest. That desire and willingness speaks a lot to your passion and how well you think you match the school.
  • The opposite of the last one... A  way to determine if someone is TOO eager and seems immature in their focus
  • More money from candidates that "just want in." The masters often can take more students than the phd, so if they can make more money, great!
  • Can I shred this paperwork yet? Or do I have to keep it for a while yet?

But, for you, all you need to do is decide, "is it something that would still interest you?" Don't worry about their meaning in asking it. Worry about whether or not a MA from the program is appealing. If not, click no. If yes, click yes.

Edited by _kita

Generally speaking, programs are not asking you this to see if you are "too overeager" or to test your tenacity or readiness for a PhD program or anything. It means exactly what it looks like...sometimes programs get students who have a lot of potential but are not ready for graduate work yet, and would benefit from an MA first. The MA will help boost the student's competitiveness for a PhD program. It's usually not a guarantee of admission if you finish the MA. Nor is it a promise of funding: that will really depend on the individual department and your competitiveness with the other MA applicants. It's just offering you another way to potentially study in the department with the hope that if you perform well you'll be considered for the PhD program later.

Also, a program being considered a cash cow is not mutually exclusive with it being considered a stepping stone to the PhD. There are lots of universities and departments that have expensive MA programs with virtually no funding - that are generally regarded as a source of money for the department and school - that nevertheless also produce good quality students and many students continue on to PhD programs.