i see there are two rutgers admits. anyone want to claim them w stats or anything? thanks!

I have also applied to Rutgers.But no news yet.I am really worried cos I have the lowest possible GRE scores.Rutgers looks at GREs with great emphasis I am told.And I already got a reject from one university cos of my dismal GRE performance.So saddening...

I'll claim one of the acceptances. You all probably know what I think about stats, but I will say that I have felt from the beginning that this program is perhaps the strongest fit for my interests out of all eleven schools I applied to. There are not only at least FIVE professors I can think of off the top of my head who I would really love to work with, but the program has other resources, like the Program in Early Modern Studies, that make them an even stronger fit. They are also a perfect fit for my methodology - a good mix of historicism and theory. My stats were great, but, while they might have saved me from the slush pile, I'm pretty sure they did very little work beyond that. Also, as I received the notification in the form of a voicemail, at this time I don't have any other information to share about the program.

If anyone else is in, speak up! I'd love to chat!

I'll claim one of the acceptances. You all probably know what I think about stats, but I will say that I have felt from the beginning that this program is perhaps the strongest fit for my interests out of all eleven schools I applied to. There are not only at least FIVE professors I can think of off the top of my head who I would really love to work with, but the program has other resources, like the Program in Early Modern Studies, that make them an even stronger fit. They are also a perfect fit for my methodology - a good mix of historicism and theory. My stats were great, but, while they might have saved me from the slush pile, I'm pretty sure they did very little work beyond that. Also, as I received the notification in the form of a voicemail, at this time I don't have any other information to share about the program.

If anyone else is in, speak up! I'd love to chat!

congrats! rutgers is one of my top choices. i hope to be joining you:)

Just received a phone call from a professor on the admissions committee. He was so delightful to talk to and really put up with my complete paralysis and inability to articulate anything. This was one of my top-choice programs, particularly for their historic emphasis on nineteenth-century/Victorian literature. I'd love to hear from other people who got in!

Just received a phone call from a professor on the admissions committee. He was so delightful to talk to and really put up with my complete paralysis and inability to articulate anything. This was one of my top-choice programs, particularly for their historic emphasis on nineteenth-century/Victorian literature. I'd love to hear from other people who got in!

MJP, do you have any info on how many they are accepting?

Unfortunately, I don't. Like I said, I was a quite unsuccessful at formulating complete sentences when he called. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for everybody! Historically, they've done waitlists, so it's not over!

Yep. I posted the wait list notification. The caller said I was at the top of the wait list, so I'm sure they'll be calling everyone else soon. I'll probably take my name off the list in the coming weeks (I've received other offers, though I want to make sure I don't want to attend Rutgers). Hope this helps someone...

Yep. I posted the wait list notification. The caller said I was at the top of the wait list, so I'm sure they'll be calling everyone else soon. I'll probably take my name off the list in the coming weeks (I've received other offers, though I want to make sure I don't want to attend Rutgers). Hope this helps someone...

i'd kill to even be on the waitlist haha

@ soxpuppet and M.J.P: I was just accepted to Comp Lit and would like to talk about the university and area if you have any information. I'm from N. California so I know nothing about Jersey.

I know that the DGS of Comp Lit said they took eight people this year, and Comp Lit is certainly smaller than English if that helps at all.

Haha, I'm from NorCal too, and I've never visited the East coast, but PM me and we could exchange emails?

@ soxpuppet and M.J.P: I was just accepted to Comp Lit and would like to talk about the university and area if you have any information. I'm from N. California so I know nothing about Jersey.

I know that the DGS of Comp Lit said they took eight people this year, and Comp Lit is certainly smaller than English if that helps at all.

If either of you acceptees would like to know anything about Rutgers, I can probably answer your questions. I attended there, my brother, and both of my parents, as well. New Brunswick isn't the nicest city, but the College Avenue campus has a really nice academic feel, a "public ivy" feel if you will. wink.gif The city itself has gotten a lot better in recent years, and there are some nice areas near the school with great restaurants and bars. The train to both Philadelphia and NYC is ~1 hour.

If either of you acceptees would like to know anything about Rutgers, I can probably answer your questions. I attended there, my brother, and both of my parents, as well. New Brunswick isn't the nicest city, but the College Avenue campus has a really nice academic feel, a "public ivy" feel if you will. wink.gif The city itself has gotten a lot better in recent years, and there are some nice areas near the school with great restaurants and bars. The train to both Philadelphia and NYC is ~1 hour.

I'd love to hear what you have to say about Rutgers and New Brunswick! I've never been to the East Coast (outside of a week in DC). It's one of those situations where I'm feeling very excited about the program but unsure of the city/location. I've heard mostly negative things about Jersey and New Brunswick, though nothing specific. I'm planning on visiting in March so maybe you could give me the lowdown on things to look into/out for? Also, what would you say about the cost of living? How much for a decent one bedroom apartment how about a gallon of milk? :) If you'd rather talk privately I can PM you. Thanks!

Welcome to the party! Is Comp Lit having the Open House on the same day as English? I'd love to meet people who plan on going!

I'm from the East Coast (Washington, DC and NYC), which entails a lot of talk about hating New Jersey. It's fondly referred to as the "arm pit" of America. But, in all honesty, like any other state it has it's draws and its setbacks. Whatever you do, do not think that the area around the NJ turnpike is indicative of the rest of the state. There are DEFINITELY some beautiful areas, and I've heard there are some around New Brunswick, in particular. Also, the people on "Jersey Shore" are not fairly representative of NJ. There are some amazing people from NJ (some who I will even call friends). Plus, it is one of the most convenient states in the country for its access to larger areas, as well as more rural areas. NYC, Philly, and Washington, DC are all just a couple of miles away. However, just go two hours into Pennsylvania and you're in Dutch country. I'm excited to visit the Rutgers campus. Remember--we're in, so let's have fun! :)

I'd love to hear more about Rutgers. I kind of expected that the surrounding area would be less than desirable (I went to University of Maryland, College Park for my undergrad and the surrounding area is as crappy as it comes). But it's nice to hear that the campus has its own charm. What's the general culture like--can "alternative" people not interested in sports or bars have a good time? Don't get me wrong--I love a good discoteque as much as the next guy--but could do without the sleezy undergrad bars. Feel free to PM me! Or add it to the forum so everybody can share in the fountain of your knowledge.

I'd love to hear more about Rutgers. I kind of expected that the surrounding area would be less than desirable (I went to University of Maryland, College Park for my undergrad and the surrounding area is as crappy as it comes). But it's nice to hear that the campus has its own charm. What's the general culture like--can "alternative" people not interested in sports or bars have a good time? Don't get me wrong--I love a good discoteque as much as the next guy--but could do without the sleezy undergrad bars. Feel free to PM me! Or add it to the forum so everybody can share in the fountain of your knowledge.

I'll second that "loving to hear more" about the New Brunswick area. There's some good information about where frat row and the shitty $4 pitchers of PBR bars are on the "City Guide" forum, but the more mercenary side of me would like to hear more about what it's like to live in New Brunswick in general (apartment quality/pricing, what the city has to offer apart from Rutgers, what Rutgers has to offer apart from the city, etc.). Also, are there any safety issues around campus? Since I currently live in CT (or "New Jersey lite" as some call it due to the juxtaposition of super-wealthy suburbs and the terrifying cities)n, I wonder where a NJ college town would fall on that scale.

I'll second that "loving to hear more" about the New Brunswick area. There's some good information about where frat row and the shitty $4 pitchers of PBR bars are on the "City Guide" forum, but the more mercenary side of me would like to hear more about what it's like to live in New Brunswick in general (apartment quality/pricing, what the city has to offer apart from Rutgers, what Rutgers has to offer apart from the city, etc.). Also, are there any safety issues around campus? Since I currently live in CT (or "New Jersey lite" as some call it due to the juxtaposition of super-wealthy suburbs and the terrifying cities)n, I wonder where a NJ college town would fall on that scale.

I'd say that in terms of safety, you have to take any urban area for what it is. I was checking out the safety stats on the Rutgers webpage (document here), and it doesn't seem like one really has anything to worry about there, if you're smart. [Note: I didn't spend a lot of time researching the safety of the surrounding areas. But I think the following nonetheless applies.] Crazy things could happen to anyone, anywhere, at any time. Don't walk around by yourself at late hours. Don't go flashing your money/iPhone/wallet where it's going to attract attention. From what little research I've done (read: craigslist and apartments.com), the rent isn't exorbitant, but it'd definitely be worthwhile to live with a roommate or two. I'm thinking about looking in to a shared house in the Highland Park area. From what I've seen, with roommates, expect to pay between $400-$700/month.

Anyone know how pedestrian friendly the area is? I don't have a car and I don't want to buy a car, so I'm really interested in relocating to a place that allows for that.

I recently visited New Brunswick and was not impressed by the bit of the city that I saw. I walked all the way from the train to the campus(es) and saw A LOT of vinyl sided housing/residential spaces, which gave me this humdrum/blah feeling. the campus buildings were the only ones that seemed to get any sort of attention. it was sort of depressing, which is REALLY depressing because I really wanted to like it because I really want to get in and attend the program of my choice (CITE anthro). also, New Brunswick has multiple campuses that beg a person to take the (free) buses between them as it can be quite a walk between the campuses otherwise. I got a very good picture of how far each building/campus is from the others because I was on campus for a day-long workshop and no one knew where the workshop was being held. the run around was welcome though because I was able to get a really good picture of how large the campus is. and to qualify my perspective on walking, i used to do door-to-door canvassing by foot and I feel very comfortable walking. I also have to remind myself that I won't be having to hurry between back to back classes (unless I plan my semester that way) so the distances might not matter that much.

anyway, that's my two cents.

anyone have any thoughts on the fact that i still have a 'no decision' on my application status? i feel like a competitive applicant, 3.5 ug gpa, 690v, 770q, 660 subject, focusing on the modern/postmodern transition in poetry and film.

this limbo is driving me nuts. i really would appreciate a reject if that is how it has to be. dangling on the hook is just pure hell.

for all the new brunswick haters, trust me, you will love it. vibrant music and arts scene, great location to get to anything you could ever want to do.

Hi! I just got a call notifying me of my place on the waitlist and, due to a combination of my inability to act naturally during phone calls with academically influential strangers and fear that if I prodded too much he would've revoked the offer right then and there, I didn't ask any questions about the acceptance package. I likely won't end up at Rutgers (it doesn't sound like I'm close to the top and I'm lucky enough to have had other offers), but I'm wondering if one of the acceptances would mind PMing me with the details in case I hear there's a spot for me on the morning of April 15th. I'm not sure if there's anything I can offer in exchange. Maybe an e-card? Or a drink on me, if I end up at Rutgers in the fall(!)?

Also, someone asked how many they extended acceptances to. I was told that it's 24, and that this is a big reduction from last year.

Good luck!

anyone have any thoughts on the fact that i still have a 'no decision' on my application status? i feel like a competitive applicant, 3.5 ug gpa, 690v, 770q, 660 subject, focusing on the modern/postmodern transition in poetry and film.

this limbo is driving me nuts. i really would appreciate a reject if that is how it has to be. dangling on the hook is just pure hell.

for all the new brunswick haters, trust me, you will love it. vibrant music and arts scene, great location to get to anything you could ever want to do.

i'm a similar applicant with similar GRE's, a higher gpa but focusing on later american. and nothing for me either.

Last year, Rutgers enrolled about 15 of 230 applicants for the Ph.D. English Language and LIteratures program. There's no terminal MA. I'm not sure how many they extended offers to, but given their fantastic funding, I would presume that it's not too many more than the 15 they enrolled.

Edited by 8521679