Overwhelmed in the search for the right department

Crit_Sociology

Question

Hi,

I think I am posting this question/concern in the right place?  Also, I preemptively apologize for this long post ... here we go

My background:  graduated 5 years ago from undergrad and am 100% on going back to graduate school in the next year.  I was not the best student in undergrad until I found sociology (which I minored in) my 3rd year.  Cumulative GPA is 2.88 but counting only anthropology and sociology classes (5 classes total) it is more like 3.5. 

Why I want to attend grad school: Ideally I would like to teach sociology in some capacity at a community college.  If that doesn’t work out I think that developing my skills in quantitative methodology would be useful in research for a non-profit, labor union, or government department.  Having said that, I am much more interested in qualitative but don’t see how that is necessarily helpful in a career outside of academia. 

Current interests:  Social justice and social stratification including race, class, and gender are main topics in my thinking but not necessarily the specific areas that I want to study.  I do know that I have deep interest in Marxism and critical theory which I think will guide my thinking in many ways. Having said that – I am not really well versed in either topic.  In addition to that I am interested in automation, radical politics, commodity chain valuation, labor politics, “work”, social movements, and the non-profit industrial complex. 

Current dilemma:  Feeling a but lost in the entire process of finding the “right” graduate program as well as feeling like I am a bit behind in my academic “credibility”.  It seems like everyone is very specialized in their areas and I am struggling to find a focus.  I did recently get into Northeastern University Graduation program for sociology – but that was my undergrad and it feels like that played a major role in their decision to accept me. 

Questions:  Does anyone have suggestions as to how to narrow their interests?  How do you go about finding the program that is right for you when your interests are so broad?  Will my undergraduate GPA make it more difficult for me to get into a reputable program?  Basically I’m looking for any advice from someone who has been in my position.

I know this is all rather vague – but any advice / support will be helpful. Thanks! 

Edited by Crit_Sociology

5 answers to this question

Hey OP,

Sorry you're stressed! Have you looked into applied programs or terminal MAs? Usually community colleges only require an MA to teach (though you'll probably be in competition with PhDs for those jobs; something to consider) and applied programs are geared towards entering non-academic fields.

As for your questions, your GPA could hurt your chances of getting into a program. Many schools have cut-offs and may not even look at your application (some filter apps that don't meet cut-offs out before they even come across a real person). Since you're looking at socio and anth, see if you can reach out to some of the programs with your concerns. They're pretty good at being honest. 

As for narrowing interests, you do have theoretical frameworks and general areas you are interested in. Maybe read the work of professors at the programs you're considering and see who lines up with your theoretical approaches. This may also help you figure out what your actual interests are regarding region and specific foci.

I had a 3 year break between undergrad and my applied MA. In between I presented at a conference/co-wrote a paper and began doing volunteer work that related to my academic interests. I think these both helped me prepare for grad school and made it clear that, though I took time off, I was still thinking academically. 

Hope this helps!

1 hour ago, Crit_Sociology said:

I do know that I have deep interest in Marxism and critical theory which I think will guide my thinking in many ways. Having said that – I am not really well versed in either topic.

If you're interested in studying theory and you're worried about your credibility, it may not hurt to start reading, studying, and thinking now.

https://www.marxists.org/

I'd basically say what green eyed stated. It may just be best to try and get a job in the field and see what really catches your interest. In the meantime you can look at different theories and programs and see if any of them catch your interest as well. In regards to GPA, most cut offs are at 3.00, but there are a lot of other factors that go into the application. 

not sure how exactly it works for sociology, as i am in a foreign languages phd, but some things i wish i had looked into: courses recently offered (a lot of departments list courses from YEARS ago, which may give a false impression); current research interests/productivity of faculty (again, they may list expertise in a field and then you find out they have moved on to a different trend, leaving you isolated); general lifestyle considerations (where would you like to be geographically, what are the people at that university like-- in that sense it can be good to email current grad students); hiring records of the department if at all possible to obtain; does the department in question have active links to other departments/institutions that would be meaningful for you (i, for example, wish i had known that my institution did not, at that time, offer a certificate in feminist theory). these are some general considerations i wish i had looked into. a campus visit can be invaluable in getting a sense for the vibe and atmosphere, as well as the diversity of the department.