History of Art MA/PhD 2008

lxs

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

arthistorian - I applied to Columbia and haven't heard anything about an open house either. not entirely surprised as it was a long shot. it doesn't sound like anyone else has heard anything either, though, so I won't give up hope yet...

dang, Dan...sounds like this is your year! I'm glad to hear, at least, that the anonymous interviewed person wasn't in my subfield. Any details regarding when decisions will be made/sent out/anything from Columbia?

And arthistorian - nothing! I haven't heard a freaking peep. I'm climbing the walls here.

I'm waiting on UT Austin as well. I haven't heard a peep either way. They're my top choice, so I'm going nuts.

What area are you interested in? I'm a Renaissance person myself.....really love Austin and UT both!!! Too bad the cost of living has gone up so much in recent years. I would definitely need a fellowship to attend, but the Renaissance people are so amazing at this school!! One in particular has some very innovative teaching methods which he explains on his personal website.

With some rejection notices for this school seeming to have gone out last week, I believe acceptances are on their way!!! Good luck :P

What area are you interested in? I'm a Renaissance person myself.....really love Austin and UT both!!! Too bad the cost of living has gone up so much in recent years. I would definitely need a fellowship to attend, but the Renaissance people are so amazing at this school!! One in particular has some very innovative teaching methods which he explains on his personal website.

With some rejection notices for this school seeming to have gone out last week, I believe acceptances are on their way!!! Good luck :P

I'm hoping to do my MA on modern/contemporary Latin American. Austin's amazing for Latin American studies in general, and they're getting some new faculty that I'm really excited about. I've actually never been to Austin or even Texas. I'm glad to hear you like it there, though. I seem to be hearing a lot of great things about the town from most people.

Judging from last year, it looks like acceptances should go out next week. I hope they're ahead of schedule this year. Good luck to you too!

That sounds great, theboojum! Good luck :D

On another note, who was the lucky person that received word of acceptance from UPenn?? Congrats and please do share your good news here on the board. I am eager to hear from them myself, but was under the impression that nothing would come through with them until the middle of March, judging by last year's post.

It must be nice to have at least heard from schools----I've heard NOTHING yet!! :?

So someone got into Cornell today on the results board. They got a call. I'm a little concerned, but my chances are low so it is a rejection I can take.

Just to include my results here- I got rejected from UT Austin last week. They updated my status. So those who have heard nothing, sit tight. You probably made it to the next round.

congrats halifax, that's awesome! i'm so happy for you!

just out of curiosity - would you be willing to divulge your gre score? i'm increasingly worried about mine, the more i read these boards, and am really starting to question my chances. especially since i haven't heard from ANYONE.

just out of curiosity - would you be willing to divulge your gre score? i'm increasingly worried about mine, the more i read these boards, and am really starting to question my chances. especially since i haven't heard from ANYONE.

Sure...I can do it now without feeling like I'm jinxing myself.

V: 760 Q: 540 (pathetic, I know) and A: 5.5

I took the GRE once before--it was before I got into my MA program and I made a V:630 Q: 530 A: 4.5.

This time, I really studied only for the Verbal and Analytical sections (about 8 weeks), realizing my math was going to suck no matter what. I was absolutely astonished at the Verbal score because when I'd been doing the Kaplan practice tests, I was scoring around a 650.......I must have done well at the very beginning of the test. The vocab flashcards really helped too.

So today three people were rejected via email by Rochester for Visual Cultural Studies PhD and one was accepted. Has anyone here heard back and want to share? I am sooooo desperate. Every time I open my email I can feel the rejection email from them is coming.

Congrats, Halifax! That's awesome. Now the pressure's off, right?

My GREs: V 720, Q 750, A 5 I'm glad that I got into school, as I took them five years ago and would have had to retake them for next year... :shudder:

BTW, that's a sick verbal score, Halifax. Dag.

I totally agree that the SOP is one of the most important parts of the application. If you can show that you'll be a great fit for the department and that your interests coincide with the professors you intend to work with, you should be in good shape. A prof. from U of C specifically told me that my SOP and research interests were a very important part of their reasoning in choosing me.

Oh (belatedly) - I have no further information about Columbia. Sorry, all.