History of Art MA/PhD 2008

lxs

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

halifax and others waiting on Penn - I randomly checked my status page today and it finally says 'completed' instead of 'incomplete' - though the DGS assured me before that it was complete she just hadn't updated the status pages. I have a feeling this could mean decisions by the end of next week (she did tell me the beginning of March). Scary! haha congrats to all you guys and your [ivy] acceptances!

My status was changed today-- I'm in at UT!! :) I emailed beforehand because I just couldn't wait any longer and the woman I corresponded with said the congratulatory email would most likely be going out this weekend.

Congrats to Chicken Dan and Arthistorian! :D

I guess that means you won't be taking that yearlong trip to Brazil? :lol:

Depends if they give me funding! Sure makes it less likely, much as I'd love to go. :wink:

My status was changed today-- I'm in at UT!! :) I emailed beforehand because I just couldn't wait any longer and the woman I corresponded with said the congratulatory email would most likely be going out this weekend.

Ahh congrats! I called today to ask for confirmation, and the woman I spoke with said funding's getting figured out next week. Exciting, eh? :D

And congrats to Chicken Dan and Arthistorian too! Hurraaaay!

Dan - go with Yale! It has an awesome reputation and it's such an honor to be accepted. I was thinking of applying, but one of my advisers, whose husband is on faculty there, basically told me not to bother, describing it as "probably THE most difficult program to get into right now." What an awesome problem to have.

And, congrats to everyone else who has been accepted over the past few days :)

Show of hands -

Who would take Yale over U. Chicago? My impression is that Chicago is a better place for Chinese art history, but Yale has a better reputation. They are offering more money, too. Thoughts?

Honestly, when I think of Chicago, I think of the Oriental Institute and Wu Hung (Extremely respected in the field as you know) and for Yale, I think mainly British/American 19th-20th century and Islamic art. Thats just my first inclination. Next week, call Chicago, say I've got a better offer somewhere else but I'm still interested in you guys, can you make me another offer to consider?

Just my two cents.

Who would take Yale over U. Chicago? My impression is that Chicago is a better place for Chinese art history, but Yale has a better reputation. They are offering more money, too. Thoughts?

obviously you can't go wrong with either. so i guess it just depends on your field. have you talked to your adviser?

chicago as a city is better than new haven, though :wink:

I think Chicago and Yale are both great options. Is Chicago also getting an Islamicist? I know that's not your area per se, but I get the impression they are amping up that program in a great way all the way around right now. As for the money, my friends at Yale feel that there's no place that offers more support -- not just in terms of the stipend, but in other forms of assistance applying for other funding sources. Dan, do you have a strong inclination towards one faculty or the other? I'd think that should be a major factor.

Thanks all,

Hack - The prof. in Chinese art at Yale was a student with my present advisor. He used to teach at Yale, too. Insofar as a faculty match, Chicago is much better. Wu Hung and Ping Foong are really excellent, and have told me that their department is pursuing a tack very similar to that of my proposal. At the same time, lxs, you said it - it does feel like a distinct honor to have been accepted to Yale...

Any thoughts about NYU? I just found out that I got in (with a Panofsky fellowship.) I'm really curious about what you folks in the US think of these schools, as all of my art history training has been here in Taipei!

hi chickendan,

wow congrats on the nyu fellowship :-)

from my impression i think yale and chicago are probably better than nyu for chinese art. (but since this is not really my area i'm not positive either). having said that nyu's art history program definitely has an excellent reputation across the board.

To the person who posted about Brown on the Results page: I applied there as well and have heard not a peep! No "your app is complete/incomplete/here" even! So take heart :)

Chicken Dan: Have you come to any conclusions yet about where to study? You have one of those "good problems" people on this board are always talking about. :mrgreen: I firmly believe in going with your instinct, no matter what.

Before you got any of your acceptances, were you leaning in one direction? Did you have a "wash" about any one place? You know, a single powerful moment where you could completely visualize yourself happily studying and living, taking the train/bus to school, attending events etc? Maybe I'm a bit superstitious... Good luck!

Hi everyone,

First, congrats to everyone who has been admitted! I'd also like to thank everyone for the information that they have posted so far. It's been extremely helpful to me as I plan for this process, and I'm sure has been appreciated by other future applicants. :D

Now that admission results are rolling in do any of the numerous successful applicants (especially top programs) have any advice for those of us who would ideally like to pursue a PhD in Art History? I have been following this year's conversation and would love to know what steps you took after your BA, since many of the programs my friends applied to have confessed that over 60%+ of their admitted applicants already hold MA degrees. How much contact did you have with your potential advisor or department prior to being admitted, what type of program was your MA, etc. would be great to know. Even GRE scores would be helpful to future applicants. I'm starting to suspect that admission to the top programs is something that requires way more than great coursework at a prestigious undergraduate institution, high GRE scores, great letters of recommendation, and a strong writing sample. I've also noticed that many of you have applied several times to the same program -- what do you think changed over the years to bump you into admission?

Any advice for us novices would be welcome, and congrats, again!

Anyone have any updates on Columbia? I saw mid-March on the board, but that seems so late that I have a hard time believing it! Dan, I'm looking at you here...I'll rest a lot easier if you haven't heard anything yet either :)

If this is of any help, I had contacted the GSAS via email because my transcripts were never updated as having been received and I was concerned that they had been lost. The reply email from GSAS said that it was a clerical error and that my application doesnt have any flags (they flag incomplete applications when they are forwarded to the ARH department). I then replied back to thank her for her speedy reply and slipped in a question about how will we be notified? Via admissions tracking website/the online app? Renee Schwarz-associate director of GSAS admissions replied that "We will probably be doing notifications by email"