History of Art MA/PhD 2008

lxs

yeah, I'm still waiting on 4! I have no idea what is going on. I don't know if I should just assume all four (well, except for CUNY, I guess) are rejections and get on with my life, or whether I should hold on to some hope? the band aid analogy is a good one.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got my letter from UNC...I'm on the waiting list. Eh....

I called the department to see how long the list was and they said the person who deals with admissions is out of town until tomorrow.

The letter was dated March 5th and I'm in Chicago. I'd imagine the rest of you will be hearing from them soon.

The band-aid is slowly coming loose... :|

So I fell down the stairs and hit my head on the railing as I was leaving my house this morning. Talk about starting off on the wrong foot. And I knew that I was probably going to hear from a couple of schools today, so just my luck. Well, I got rejected from Nortwestern (web) and accepted to Bard GC (by mail, dec. arts master's) all within ten minutes. The BGC director called half an hour later to let me know that I'm slated for full tuition (not usual for a humanities master's, I hear?) and that I was one of their top candidates. I pretty much squealed over the phone.

Hello, New York!

I'm still waiting on Columbia...not very hopeful since I didn't get a phone call BUT hear me out since the Grad Coordinator said that the class entering in 08 was still being decided and we will hear by Mid-March...my conspiracy theory is that say they had about 25 chosen applicants- called them, and due to the early decisions of other top grad programs (Yale, Harvard, Berkeley, Brown, Northwestern, Chicago, Cornell etc.) some people may have already given notice to their top choice and Columbia now has to review the strong apps to fill in the gaps...Anybody? :twisted: Oh well. Just give me the damn rejection letter so I can stop waiting for it Columbia!

congratulations, emusinfrance!! Bard is a fantastic program. Squeal away :D

hardkore, I didn't apply to Columbia, so I have no advice, but I have a similar theory about NYU - it seems like a bunch of people heard from them by phone in the past week or so - perhaps all of their top choices have already been notified. So I've been steeling myself for a rejection in the mail. Sad, sad, sad. Does anybody have any information about that?

Best of luck everyone ... in a week or so the waiting will probably be all over for most, for better or worse.

is anyone thinking about going to penn and/or can anyone offer anecdotes and/or give me a sense of where it "ranks"?

i don't really buy into the prestige factor, but one generally has to assume that potential employers do, and i'm very curious. i've always thought of cornell, and to a lesser extent, penn, as the poorer, less rigorous cousins to the ivies--but this is also based on my undergrad perceptions. grad school is very different. my own degree is somewhat outside the art history machine, so i'm very curious to know what others think.

no; i don't believe they have one. but i ended up withdrawing my application shortly after i heard from them, once i found out i'd been accepted to another program. the professor had told me she was nominating me for a particular fellowship, and (since i knew i wouldn't choose berkeley over this other school) i didn't want the department to lose the money... kind of a long story.

where else are you looking?

Hey Boojum:

I received my hard copy of the acceptance letter yesterday, but no funding info yet. I received a call from the DGS about a week ago though, and she explained some of the funding options available. She said they'd been very lucky this year and were able to fund everyone. Did you receive the emailed version?

Has anyone heard from UPenn?

i don't know if the person who posted on the results page asking about penn reads this thread, but i read that we're not supposed to post long comments there so i thought i should do it here. i really wish i had realized this thread existed sooner--i never scrolled down past the main forums under humanities! (amazed that i was allowed into any grad programs at all....)

anyway i received notice from the prof i would work with that i was on the short list in mid-Feb (i think the 18th) and about a week later got a call from the director of grad studies. he said the dean of gsas would send out letters in the next couple of weeks. i know the official letters still haven't gone out yet b/c they haven't been released to the dean to sign or something, as of today (i called gsas).

i think i happen to have an exceptionally proactive prospective advisor so i think if you haven't heard it doesn't necessarily mean that you won't be admitted. penn is very slow...

also, i posted yesterday but being obsessed with all this am very sad there have been no responses yet: do any of you art history folks have opinions or general knowledge about penn that you would like to share? i'm absolutely thrilled to have been nominated for admission (let's hope that doesn't fall through) but like the program for reasons related mainly to a few key faculty and an overall personal impression, not anything based on "what people say" about penn's AH program. any advice or thoughts at all would be tremendously welcome!

hi gradschool - congrats on the penn acceptance. would you mind saying what your field is/who you applied to work with? i applied there too, but haven't heard anything. i think that penn has a strong reputation and good faculty. i would have been pretty happy to go there, for what it's worth.

hi lxs, thanks--and i think that's worth a lot! i'm a little leery of posting all my info here but i will say that i'm not doing western art, which i suspect is what most of you are going into/working in now--that's what it seems like from previous posts, at least. so i wasn't competing for any of those slots. if you want to know more i'd be happy to send you a message off-forum.

Per UPenn - my friend is a professor of Art History at Johns Hopkins (my boyfriend's advisor, in fact) and he is close friends with Michael Cole. So that's how I found out.

I (would like to) work on 20th Century Italy with Chris Poggi, but I guess I don't see that happening...

Halifax: yeah, I got the email from the department, which was really nice. I'm just impatient to find out if I can really go or not. Do you think "everyone" means all the PhD students or the Master's as well?

Got my letter from UNC this morning, I'm in. :D

Does anyone have any thoughts about the PhD program at Rutgers? I know it's great for my field (Italian Renaissance) but not sure about overall...

Two of my undergrad professors had their degrees from Rutgers...neither were Ren scholars but both seemed pretty happy with the program. I have a lot of respect for both of them ... particularly one who is a feminist art historian. One of my favorite teachers. They're both tenured, I believe. Sorry, I don't know if that helped at all!