History of Art MA/PhD 2008

lxs

stylefaxee:

that's awesome! Though I'm very sad to hear that you won't do Northwestern. It really is a good school.. but yes, NYU is a very tempting place, and it's great that you actually got funding! Are you doing IFU for MA or Ph.d?

et pour moi..

I just accepted an offer but my application for Columbia is still holding - they said the "hope" to send the decisions to the grad office on Apr.14. wow, speaking of slow decision making..

Should I let them know that I don't intend to go there in advance? Though I sort of curious to find out if I actually got in.. :P

Smellie,

It really hurts to turn down the Northwestern offer...I am still mulling it over. Maybe I'm a fool to consider the IFA since the funding isn't even guaranteed throughout the degree. I'm going for the M.A. but I'd like to continue through the Ph.D. I just feel like now that I've been given this chance, if I turn it down, I won't forgive myself. But maybe I'll feel that way about Northwestern next year when I'm starving in some garret in the far reaches of Brooklyn...

This process has been such a learning experience for me. I never realized I was such a fatalist!

Congrats on accepting your offer! If I know the program you're referring to, it's a really great one and your advisor will be wonderful. Best of luck with Columbia, however...if I were you I would wait to see if I got in. Even if it were just for bragging rights. :D

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stylefaxee:

I know, when you have the offer from your dream school, it's really hard to let go. so why not give it a chance, when we're still young? :)

I always wondered..

How important is it to be involved in museum/gallery scene?

As much as I love going to museums, going to galleries and working there (esp.contemporary ones) never flickered my interest much. As an art historian of 19C, should I feel bad that I have no real enthusiasm for these opportunities?

It makes me feel guilty sometimes that my knowledge of trendy artists or art venue is near zero :(

But Linda Nochlin's teaching there...!!!

I know ---- I MET her when I visited!!! I almost went into cardiac arrest, and she surely must have considered me the most inarticulate person she has ever met because I was so tongue tied. It was still amazing.

stylefaxee:

I know, when you have the offer from your dream school, it's really hard to let go. so why not give it a chance, when we're still young? :)

I always wondered..

How important is it to be involved in museum/gallery scene?

As much as I love going to museums, going to galleries and working there (esp.contemporary ones) never flickered my interest much. As an art historian of 19C, should I feel bad that I have no real enthusiasm for these opportunities?

It makes me feel guilty sometimes that my knowledge of trendy artists or art venue is near zero :(

thanks smellie! :)

as for museum work...I think it's a good thing for an applicant insofar as it shows your dedication to the field. But it's definitely not a necessity. There are plenty of programs (ahem, Berkeley) where the object is only an afterthought and theory reigns supreme. Also...you won't know if you like something (or hate it) until you test it out. Sometimes it's just a good way to pay the bills while doing something related to your field.

I was an intern at my university's museum for three years as an undergrad and I'm now working in a little American art gallery. When I started out as an art history major I really thought I wanted to be a curator in a museum but when I began working at one, I realized that I was much more interested in the research and pedagogy aspects, which led me to academia. And working at this gallery has shown me that I am definitely NOT interested in doing commercial work. So to answer your question somewhat long windedly, only consider museum/gallery work if it's something that really interests you. Don't feel bad if it doesn't.

stylefaxee--

That's such amazingly wonderful news! I'm so happy for you! And I'll probably be seeing you in the fall!

I remember you're from Chicago, right? Are you coming straight from undergrad?

Congratulations again :-)

Thank you Renaissance08! :D It's great to know that I already kind of sort of know a nice person who will be at IFA with me. Yes, I'm from Chicago (will be sad to move, even if it's to fabulous NYC) and graduated in last summer...I took this year off to work on my apps and my German, etc.

stylefaxee- where'd you work on your German? classes are so expensive. i took one at the Goethe Institut last fall but didn't continue there...I wasn't that into their teaching style.

I was an intern at my university's museum for three years as an undergrad and I'm now working in a little American art gallery. When I started out as an art history major I really thought I wanted to be a curator in a museum but when I began working at one, I realized that I was much more interested in the research and pedagogy aspects, which led me to academia. And working at this gallery has shown me that I am definitely NOT interested in doing commercial work. So to answer your question somewhat long windedly, only consider museum/gallery work if it's something that really interests you. Don't feel bad if it doesn't.

I agree.. I actually worked as an intern at galleries, arts councils etc. Of all things I learned from the experience was that I do NOT want to be a curator, nor arts administrator. I just feel guilty when I have no idea who these new, cool contemporary artists that my friends in NYC are talking about. Having a boyfriend who expects me to know everything there is about art/art history because I am an "art historian," makes it awkward when I'm just not that enthusiastic about new gallery openings or vernisages. Then again, if you think about it, it's a pretty silly idea - I can hardly say that I know everything about my own area :S

stylefaxee--

My current job has also convinced me that I am not interested in commercial work. Can't wait to be done...

How's your German coming along? Do you have any other languages yet?

Yes, I think one of the many reasons I am gunning for NYU is because if I stayed in Chicago I would probably have to stay in my current gallery job on a part time basis. Can't stand the thought!

The German is coming along veery slowly, I'm still quite a beginner learning how to order my coffee. I should be ready to take the French language exam in the fall though, I speak and read it pretty well.

lxs, I'm sending you a PM

I agree.. I actually worked as an intern at galleries, arts councils etc. Of all things I learned from the experience was that I do NOT want to be a curator, nor arts administrator. I just feel guilty when I have no idea who these new, cool contemporary artists that my friends in NYC are talking about. Having a boyfriend who expects me to know everything there is about art/art history because I am an "art historian," makes it awkward when I'm just not that enthusiastic about new gallery openings or vernisages. Then again, if you think about it, it's a pretty silly idea - I can hardly say that I know everything about my own area :S

hey, don't feel bad. I have really been trying to become more knowledgable about contemporary art but I've always been immersed in the past. A time warp, if you will ... Just reading the NYT arts section religiously has really helped me, though.

As you say, we can't know everything!

stylefaxee,

haha, I would've done the same or even worse if I had met her in person. I probably would've squeaked and giggled like a 10 year old. She's LEGENDARY.

on contemporary art-

I feel the same. I feel so useless and stupid whenever I go to the shows with my friends and they expect me to utter something revelative or anything intelligent because I'm an art history major. I can only name a few contemporary women artists but I try to diversify my interests.

lxs--

I'm going to CUNY next year for sure, and my funding situation is also still up in the air... but I have things a bit easier, because I already live in Manhattan and have a job here... and I qualify for in-state tuition, so that makes paying out of pocket a more manageable prospect. You should totally do whatever feels most comfortable, but these are some other things to consider (um, if you haven't already)...

If you could get a teaching job within the CUNY system (which you would be eligible to have after year one, I think) then your tuition would automatically be waived (and you would still get paid on the side!) The CUNY system is also (slooowwwly, I hear, so it may not help either of us) discussing the possibility of giving health insurance benefits to adjuncts. Also along these lines, if you can find work at the Met (and probably other large museums, but I only know for sure about the Met) they will pay a huge chunk of your tuition...

... and speaking of jobs in general, I had a really useful meeting with a current CUNY student who went to the same undergrad institution as I did... He told me that professors are excellent about setting their students up with good, flexible jobs in arts organizations around the city. He was very honest about the potential downsides of CUNY, so I tend to believe him about the positives. Maybe you could contact an advisor in advance and ask for suggestions?

I'm sorry the department hasn't been more forthcoming with financial aid news--it seems incredibly frustrating, especially for someone coming from outside the city. If you do wind up at CUNY, though, it will be nice to meet you!

P.S. Ha, it's a long story that isn't funny to anyone apart from the two of us, but a friend and I use "being from Chagrin Falls" as a metaphor for being generally anxious and gloomy... and if there is anything to make me feel as though I'm from Chagrin Falls, it's the grad school application process.

I sat in on a class at the IFA, Linda Nochlin's Women Artists class actually. I unfortunately was not blown away. She's very hands off now- she's earned her worth- and she's nearly 80 years old. She mostly let the students lead the discussion and would interrupt occasionally. Seeing the IFA first hand and getting to know the students was great for me because I knew I couldn't ever be happy there.

Gallery crawls in the Chelsea neighborhood of NYC is a great way to get up on the current works, even though many of the exhibitions may be crap, its fun to find the few good gems.

I crossed CUNY off my list after speaking to a current grad student, hearing his complaints and learning that their agreement with the Whitney ISP has evaporated.

So, I've only had one acceptance so far and have yet to hear about funding. I'm on the waiting list at Rutgers, but don't anticipate hearing back before April 15. And I have to tell UNC before April 15 that I want to go there. I really want to go, but am nervous accepting if I don't know about funding. They told me I would hear in 2 to 3 weeks and that was 3 weeks ago. I've talked with a former advisor who says that if it is between going without funding for a year but getting funding after then the loans might be worth it. Any thoughts? Anyone else thinking UNC? So frustrating!

So, I've only had one acceptance so far and have yet to hear about funding. I'm on the waiting list at Rutgers, but don't anticipate hearing back before April 15. And I have to tell UNC before April 15 that I want to go there. I really want to go, but am nervous accepting if I don't know about funding. They told me I would hear in 2 to 3 weeks and that was 3 weeks ago. I've talked with a former advisor who says that if it is between going without funding for a year but getting funding after then the loans might be worth it. Any thoughts? Anyone else thinking UNC? So frustrating!

I sent my rejection letter to Rutgers earlier this week. So there's hoping they act on it soon. And good luck with UNC funding!

I actually accepted my offer few days ago, and my advisor sent me all the funding information via e-mail, which should also follow in hard copy. They might have it figured out but expecting you to receive the news in mail, so try contacting your advisor or Dr.Gosh(the director). They were surprisingly generous with my funding, so good luck to you, too!

I actually accepted my offer few days ago, and my advisor sent me all the funding information via e-mail, which should also follow in hard copy. They might have it figured out but expecting you to receive the news in mail, so try contacting your advisor or Dr.Gosh(the director). They were surprisingly generous with my funding, so good luck to you, too!

Thanks! This is frustrating. I feel like I was supposed to contact Professor Sheriff, but I was hesitant to do so since I am unsure if she would be my advisor with the new Modernist they have hired. I really want to accept, but I'm afraid they won't fund me. And since I've yet to hear anything from anyone I'm really nervous.

Thanks! This is frustrating. I feel like I was supposed to contact Professor Sheriff, but I was hesitant to do so since I am unsure if she would be my advisor with the new Modernist they have hired. I really want to accept, but I'm afraid they won't fund me. And since I've yet to hear anything from anyone I'm really nervous.

Still talk to them! When I was talking to her on the phone, she said they give preference to students who have compatible points with multiple professors. So if you'd like to work with Dr.Sheriff, but could benefit from working with other professors in the department through classes, it could actually work for you. In fact, she was telling me how my interest in nationalism or identity could work well with other professors with interests in postcolonialism etc. I suggest talking to her, and mention that you'd like to work with her?

Still talk to them! When I was talking to her on the phone, she said they give preference to students who have compatible points with multiple professors. So if you'd like to work with Dr.Sheriff, but could benefit from working with other professors in the department through classes, it could actually work for you. In fact, she was telling me how my interest in nationalism or identity could work well with other professors with interests in postcolonialism etc. I suggest talking to her, and mention that you'd like to work with her?

Thanks! I emailed her and told her that I wasn't sure if I should email her about it, but since I thought I'd most likely work with her I would. I just asked her if there had been any decisions and that I was excited to attend, but wanted to have some more information. I feel like I've gone about this all wrong. When I did my MA, they contacted me about funding and not the other way around. It seems like it's getting too late to even bother trying to contact them since I have to tell them in a week if I want to attend. One would think they'd have told me one way or the other by now. Frustrating!

Thanks! I emailed her and told her that I wasn't sure if I should email her about it, but since I thought I'd most likely work with her I would. I just asked her if there had been any decisions and that I was excited to attend, but wanted to have some more information. I feel like I've gone about this all wrong. When I did my MA, they contacted me about funding and not the other way around. It seems like it's getting too late to even bother trying to contact them since I have to tell them in a week if I want to attend. One would think they'd have told me one way or the other by now. Frustrating!

I know.. But from what I had so far, they seem very quick in responding ppl's e-mails. I hope you heard some good news!

Even now I suspect that they told me about funding because I said yes. The staff and faculty is very kind, but their administration doesn't seem to be too organized. Then, I spent hours today trying to figure out their e-mail, ID, Immunization form, parking permit (so expensive!) etc. using their crappy web system. And I thought my undergrad school was bad :(

what exactly is your field by the way?

I'm having something of a decision-making crisis and am wondering if any of you who know of my ongoing grad school saga would be willing to offer opinions. I have an acceptance at one of my top choices (CUNY) which is a great fit for my interests. they are not offering me funding, but the more I have read, their funding package sounds pretty terrible anyway (just tuition remission and paid adjuncting). I wrote to the prof. I would be working with there, and told her my concerns about funding and asked if she had any ideas. she suggested I contact a few of her students, and one of them wrote back right away, and told me that there are other options and that she, for example, TAs a class and gets tuition remission and a hourly rate for it - sort of like their funding package except without the experience of adjuncting. I could also work a part-time job at a museum or something (I'm most interested in museum work, have lots of experience) to pay my rent.

half the people I talk to say I should go for it and the other half say that I should hold out and apply again next year in hopes of getting full funding plus stipend somewhere. many also say that I am going to go insane if I have to work part-time while going to grad school. I did work almost full-time during my MA, but my program was not very strenuous. what would you do??? I took out loans for my MA so taking out more isn't an option. my parents are also not willing to help me out financially. I want to go to grad school so badly and this school is such a great fit. I have invested so much in this process both financially and emotionally that I can't imagine doing it again, but if there is something better down the road, maybe I should? AHH!!!! if anyone could offer an opinion, advice, etc, I would be incredibly appreciative.

Hey All,

So my thesis is finally DONE (92 pages of perfection written in 14 days with 30 hours of sleep!), and I feel like I've just given birth...to Hans Sedlmayr. The day after I turned in the thing, I received notice of BMC upping my funding package to include a considerable fellowship, and I cannot be happier! I am, however, planning on visiting both BMC and NYU this weekend, just to have a basis of comparison...

stylefaxee,

I know you (successfully) discussed funding with NYU--how did you bring it up, and with whom did you meet? I'm planning on sitting in on Prof. Westermann's methods of art history class, and I've also requested to meet with Prof. Lubar and ask how the hell I can do what I want to do within their program. (I'm way too intimidated to request a sitdown with Thomas Crow entirely so that I can drool over myself and blather nonsense) I'm pretty nervous considering NYU's competitive/cold reputation...

charis,

So glad to hear that it's likely we'll be at BMC next year! I will hopefully be visiting this weekend/early next week myself, and I kind of terrified since I have so much invested into the program right now (especially since they just offered me a lot more money), and I still have that undergrad intimidation of professors. We should definitely meet up though. PM me and we'll arrange something!

lxs,

I am so sorry to hear about your funding situation. One of my deans told me that you should never be paying for grad school (that is, the tuition--living expenses can sometimes be doable on a part-time job). It is important to talk to other grad students in a similar financial situation as you and to look at postdoc placement rates. Are there opportunities for funding following the first year? What are the rates for getting that funding? etc. ::sending big surprise funding vibes your way::

Question to all:

What constitutes a "full funding" in art history?

And can someone share their experiences of securing fellowships while in MA?

I was admitted on TAship (tuition remission+stipend), but I'm wondering if I could get my hands on some fellowships.

It seemed like many of the external fellowships are for Ph.D candidates..

the17thscream:

congratulations on finishing your thesis! you should go out and celebrate! the last months of my senior year was the most amazing time in college. and i'm so happy that BMC is offering you more money! that's so awesome. i'm holding out my decision since i'm yet to hear from Umich. even though i can't really see myself living in the midwest, the whole ranking thing and job placement worries me. hope you enjoy your visit to both NYU and BMC and that will help you make an informed decision! do let me know where you decide to go.

charis,

according to the random rankings I found online (http://graduate-school.phds.org/rankings/art-history) BMC actually has a decently high (75%) placement rate and is #9 among "small prestigious schools" (#12 overall), all of which probably means absolutely nothing...

I'm actually going to be meeting with my advisor very soon to discuss (among other things) the whole prestige issue. I'll let you know what she says.

hi lxs,

me again...i didn't want to mention this before, because even though the decisions are so RANDOM, they can still be kind of hurtful--but i actually ended up with one of the fellowships... and you're right, it's not such a fabulous package. i still plan to work full-time next year and am pretty worried about managing all of the obligations. after that, i will probably have to take loans to supplement the adjunct pay. so--i guess the thing is, if you really want to be at CUNY, the money situation is probably going to be somewhat wretched no matter what. if you think you might be happy somewhere else, it really might be worth waiting. i am so desperate to get back to school that i am going to at least try to swing it--but i admit that the financial side really, really worries me as well.

i guess the other thing is... if you were to wait and reapply next year, would you be able to add some kind of significant experience to your CV before then? or would you possibly consider applying to a different set of schools? before i'd heard back from CUNY, i was all set to just rewrite my personal statement, fix up my writing sample, and give the applications another go during the next cycle--but my advisor seemed to think that more polished materials wouldn't necessarily make enough of a difference to get me in... i don't know where you live, but maybe you could use the money you would have spent at CUNY to take a few courses somewhere else... and then maybe you could try to get one of those profs to help you out with an additional recommendation? ...or maybe you could try to strengthen your german/french/whatever language might be useful to you or you could develop some other concrete skill?

i'm sorry if i'm stating the obvious--i've been mulling over my options for the past couple of weeks, and nothing seems to be a perfect solution. i really wish i could help you, though.