History of Art MA/PhD 2008

lxs

Help! I want to give NYU my acceptance, but haven't yet heard about a major foreign scholarship which would be the only thing enabling me to go. Do they give extensions for this kind of thing? I know very little about the system.

Also, can someone PLEASE tell me what kind of funding (if any) I would be competing for in the second year? As a foreigner, am I allowed to work? I know it's late, and I should have done this research already, but I am going out of my mind.

Another thing--will anyone else be joining the faculty for modern? Is NYU known for being anti-theory? What happens if your potential advisor has no interest in supervising you later on?

Thank you in advance.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

charis:

CONGRATULATIONS!! that is freaking amazing. awww ... :)

yeah, I'd definitely pay them a visit. yeepee!

Also, can someone PLEASE tell me what kind of funding (if any) I would be competing for in the second year? As a foreigner, am I allowed to work? I know it's late, and I should have done this research already, but I am going out of my mind.

If you're not an American citizen, there's virtually no way of working off-campus legally. You'd have to apply for work-study, which I think you need a departmetn approval.. not sure about it.

Help! I want to give NYU my acceptance, but haven't yet heard about a major foreign scholarship which would be the only thing enabling me to go. Do they give extensions for this kind of thing? I know very little about the system.

I would contact the program director or whomever you have been maintaining contact and be upfront about it.

As a foreigner, am I allowed to work?

As a student on F-1 visa, you are allowed to work ON CAMPUS, part-time (up to either 15 or 20 hours, I forget which one is correct) during the semester and full-time while the school is on break. You are not authorized to work off-campus unless you've proven severe financial hardship and are given the permission to do so. The international student advisor at NYU should be able to help you with any questions. Hope this helps!

Hi Ana,

When I visited NYU, they did mention that they are hiring another modern prof for next year though they haven't decided yet. Thomas Crow did just move there, and he's absolutely amazing. I think the other major modern person is Professor Lubar, who struck me as very intelligent but also very candid to the point of being tactless. When I spoke with him he went on a whole anti-theory/anti-Columbia rant that was a little disconcerting. As for funding, according to the people I spoke with there, there is funding for a little over 50% of students in the second year and 80% of students in the dissertation stage. Apparently they determine the people receiving the award and then match money to that (the IFA is independently funded), and financial aid is based upon a combination of merit and need. Hope this helps!

Dear the17thscream,

That's terrible news! I adore Rosalind Krauss and would have applied to Columbia had I thought there was a chance of working with her! I assumed that she would be retiring.

Congrats on UMich, charis!

You should definitely try and visit if you can, since you also visited BMC. After that, just write a list, literally, of the things you like and don't like about each and compare. It sounds stupid, but it really helps to see everything written down. Or, flip a coin. If you are unhappy with the result you get, go to the other place...in other words, go with your gut.

BTW, luckily I kind of hated the advisor I would have at NYU even though I loved the rest of the program. He just spent the entire time badmouthing Columbia, and even though I agree with some things he says, if he can't say nice things about someone as respected as Krauss, then I fear what he would be like when advising my dissertation. Also our interests really didn't match up at all. But I do still prefer the program overall, so if I feel at least equally about BMC I will go there

Thanks! I really liked the idea of flipping coin! :lol: I've decided to take the UMich offer. I absolutely loved BMC when I visited and I'm sure I'd be happy there but UMich seems a better fit for me. I'm thrilled to have a chance to work with Prof. Thomas Willette and Prof. Patricia Simons. Although the financial package they offered doesn't quite match up to Bryn Mawr's offer, the rent in Michigan seems to be a couple of hundred dollars cheaper and I can't say that the whole ranking/prestige thing didn't play a huge role (U Michigan is better known in my country).

As for NYU professor badmouthing other programs, I understand their urge to differentiate their program from others. I think the anti-theory/object-centered approach vs. theory-focused approach is kind of a huge deal to at least some people in the field. A BMC professor did mention that they emphasize theory and intellectual history rather than connoisseurship and fighting about provenance and date and he didn't seem to have favorable opinions about NYU and Columbia although he studied at Columbia. Also noticed that people in the academia kinda look down on what museum folks do. Also, when I talked to the UMich professor on the phone, I had an impression that she tried to sell an idea that although Umich is characterized by their object-centered approach, they balance it with interdisciplinary perspectives, etc. Interestingly enough, she asked me if I'm interested in their Museum Studies program.

But yeah, things like that plus a less attractive funding package can be a real deal breaker.

I don't know what kind of fellowship BMC offered you but when I decline their offer, mine (Arete fellowship - I think it's pretty generous) may go to you!

In the meantime, I have to think hard how to word my decline letter to BMC...it's a lot harder than I thought.

Anyway, I went to the 2nd day of the Frick symposium and it was really great. One thing for sure, the name of the school doesn't necessarily tell you the quality of the work presented. Hence the saying, never judge a book by its cover. There was also a talk by a BMC in the program and she was wonderful. BMC was the one of the schools invited for the first symposium back in 1940 (other schools include Columbia, Yale, Princeton, Harvard and of course NYU). So, no worries about the prestige!

I finally accepted the offer from UMich. I'm (almost) convinced that I made the best decision...it's been an exciting journey and thank you all for kind words and well wishes.

Good luck to those who haven't made their decision and the best of luck for all of us in our future endeavor to become great art historians!!!

NYU says in its letter: "We would appreciate knowing by April 15th whether you intend to accept admission." If they're not offering me money, and I don't yet know about my other funding, why would they require a definite answer? I am going to try to postpone giving them one. Has anyone done this?

Ana, April 15 is the standard decision deadline in the US. If you accept someplace without funding and then hear about funding from elsewhere, I have a feeling that most schools will be willing to release you from your initial acceptance, since money is always an issue, and no school wants pissy mutinous grad students. Here is a good article (for everyone, really) that really lays out your options:

http://www.uni.edu/~gotera/gradapp/results.htm

So it looks like I won't be funded at UNC next year. I'm very disappointed, but I've decided to accept anyway because I want to attend graduate school and I don't have any other options. I'm apparently on the alternate list for funding, whatever that means, and the professor I spoke with says that things sometimes come through at the last minute. If I get work study I will have a teaching assistantship. I'm just extremely disappointed that as PhD student with an MA already they can't fund me. It makes me feel inadequate as a graduate student. Very frustrating. Good luck to everyone else in your funding quest.

hey vangogh - I'm dealing with essentially the same thing with cuny, and I have a MA too - I really feel your pain! I think I'm going to do it as well. the tuition is dirt cheap plus enough of my MA credits transfer that I shouldn't have to spend too much time in coursework and can start adjuncting to have my tuition paid. not ideal, and I'm still not 100% sold on doing it, but it's what I'm leaning toward at this point. c'est la vie!

NYU just gave me full tuition...after I've essentially accepted BMC...SHIT.

What the hell am I going to do?

Oh, noes!

Since it's not April 15 yet, I think you can cordially request BMC that you be released...but I recommend you visit BMC first before withdrawing your acceptance.

Plus, there's a good chance that BMC might up their funding as I declined their offer.

NYU just gave me full tuition...after I've essentially accepted BMC...SHIT.

What the hell am I going to do?

are you definitely more interested in NYU? if you haven't OFFICIALLY accepted BMC, and you definitely like NYU better then i say go for it! i'm always worried about being annoying, rude, etc. with grad school stuff, but my boss always says "your future is more important than good manners."

I'm honestly torn between the two. NYU typically does not fund first year students at all, and they seem to really want me. While I prefer the overall program at the IFA, Bryn Mawr has professors that are more appropriate to my specific field. Although the IFA is offering me full tuition, I know how difficult it is financially to live in New York, and Bryn Mawr's offer would ensure that I wouldn't have to work beyond perhaps a workstudy job in the library or something. On the other hand, the IFA is certainly a top rated program, and it is always at least somewhat of an advantage to have a big name behind a resume. Should I place more emphasis on the program or the professors? The funding or the prestige/placement? Should I email Bryn Mawr and ask them for more money? This new development has thrown me for quite a spin...24 hours to decide where to spend the next 7-10 years of my life!

I'm honestly torn between the two. NYU typically does not fund first year students at all, and they seem to really want me. While I prefer the overall program at the IFA, Bryn Mawr has professors that are more appropriate to my specific field. Although the IFA is offering me full tuition, I know how difficult it is financially to live in New York, and Bryn Mawr's offer would ensure that I wouldn't have to work beyond perhaps a workstudy job in the library or something. On the other hand, the IFA is certainly a top rated program, and it is always at least somewhat of an advantage to have a big name behind a resume. Should I place more emphasis on the program or the professors? The funding or the prestige/placement? Should I email Bryn Mawr and ask them for more money? This new development has thrown me for quite a spin...24 hours to decide where to spend the next 7-10 years of my life!

Are you still visiting BMC? You should definitely pay them a visit and have a talk with your future advisor. Tell them what NYU offered and ask if more funding is available.

Follow your gut feeling...! I chose Umich over BMC because they have great professors in my field whose research interests match well with mine (BMC has only one professor in the Renaissance).

Should I email BMC beforehand and tell them about the offer? I feel bad since I sent notice of my intent to accept their offer this morning--perhaps it is something better left to my visit tomorrow, but I also don't want to drop the bombshell when they are fully expecting me to come to BMC and create bad blood. I am postponing my final decision until I visit BMC tomorrow, since I will inevitably be comparing it to my NYU visit the whole time, and have no problem with turning down NYU if I really fall in love with BMC...

so I had a lengthy meeting with one of my profs today about whether or not to accept CUNY's offer without funding and by the time I was done, I had completely resigned myself to taking out more loans. I came home and checked my email, and lo and behold, I FINALLY got full tuition plus a stipend. THANK EFFING GOD. I can't believe that it took up until TWELVE HOURS before april 15th to figure it out, but i am FINALLY going to grad school with funding! thanks again to everyone for being supportive through literally MONTHS of me lamenting my grad school situation!

so I had a lengthy meeting with one of my profs today about whether or not to accept CUNY's offer without funding and by the time I was done, I had completely resigned myself to taking out more loans. I came home and checked my email, and lo and behold, I FINALLY got full tuition plus a stipend. THANK EFFING GOD. I can't believe that it took up until TWELVE HOURS before april 15th to figure it out, but i am FINALLY going to grad school with funding! thanks again to everyone for being supportive through literally MONTHS of me lamenting my grad school situation!

CONGRATULATIONS! I am so thrilled for you! I was really hoping there would be some kind of last-minute reprieve, since it is so obvious that you TOTALLY deserve funding. Have you seen the course listing for September yet? Last I checked, you can find titles (but not descriptions) and RCW-L is teaching two, one of which I would kill to be in...

Let me know if I can do anything to help you get settled in New York... Congratulations again!!!

Congrats! I hope that happens for me. She said she's still looking, but I, too, have resigned myself to more loans for at least another year. Such a crazy game grad school is!