History of Art MA/PhD 2008

lxs

Will you accept an offer from them if you get one? I, too, am a little nervous about a huge public university and about living in Ann Arbor!

I'm not sure. Academically Umich is a better fit, but my heart is already set to BMC. Logistically, it would be much easier for me to move to Philly from NYC.

You should still contact the dept. director or whomever contacted you in the first place and tell them you're still waiting to hear from other schools but still interested. Otherwise, they'd assume you're going elsewhere.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

charis,

I'd be moving from NYC to philly as well if I go to BMC (which is seeming very very likely at this point). We should definitely talk! Also, please let me know if you decide on BMC, as I'd love to get there already sorta knowing someone.

lxs,

I really hope that it's your posting on the results page about an acceptance to CUNY...You certainly deserve it and are more than qualified for graduate study. I hope your bad run of luck has ended (or will soon)!

it was me! wooo! after I got my rejection from Penn yesterday and heard of other CUNY acceptances, I just gave up and called. I am totally thrilled and the more I read about the program and hear from people who know the person I will be hopefully working with, it sounds like she is the best possible person for my research interests. now I'm just concerned about the funding issue...CUNY's system was really confusing to me even after talking to the DGS. I'm hoping since I applied for consideration with funding that something will come through since there was a separate deadline for admission without funding. honestly, though, I am too excited about having FINALLY gotten into a program that seems like a great fit to worry about it too much just yet! thanks, all of you, for being so supportive. if this were real life, i'd take all of you out for a really stiff cocktail.

lxs,

congratulations on acceptance at CUNY! you really deserve it! i'm so jealous that you get to stay in NYC at least for the next 4-5 years!

the17thscream,

i'm visiting BMC campus next wednesday. i'm planning to visit one of the seminars there as well. i'm super excited about visiting. people i've been emailing with seem very approachable.

my chance of ending up going to BMC is almost 97%...a daughter of my undergraduate professor who wrote me a recommendation letter is doing her PhD in classical archaeology at BMC. hearing from him, she's exceedingly happy not only with the academic rigor of the program but also with the personal attention she receives from staff, quite different atmosphere from large research universities.

it'd be great if we could meet/ talk, indeed!

lxs: I am SO super excited for you :mrgreen: Gosh, what a thoroughly stressful ordeal this has all been.....I have been crossing my fingers for you the last few weeks, and I had a feeling that something would work out, what with your resume! Go celebrate---have some drinks and begin planning the next 5 years of your life! We're about to embark on one of the most amazing journeys of our lives :lol: I just wish we could go TOMORROW!

lxs,

I am so thrilled for you! You absolutely deserve it, and CUNY seems to be a phenomenal fit for you. Since we're in the same field, I hope to meet you at several conferences in the future!

emusinfrance,

I too got an acceptance to BU, though I am ashamed to say that I don't know much about the program. I applied as an afterthought and while there is a professor there that fits my postwar German interests, there isn't really anyone who does anything with 18th and 19th century German aesthetic theory (as opposed to BMC where there is a professor perfectly fitted to each of my main areas of interest). I'm still waiting to hear back on funding from BU, and unless it is greater than the funding BMC offered me (full tuition but no stipends), I'll probably not go there. But any information you find about BU, please pass it on!

charis,

Please let me know how you find BMC! I unfortunately can't visit before April 15 due to financial/time crunches. I'd also love to meet up at some point (I'm up at Columbia). Are you planning on living in Philly or Bryn Mawr? I am leaning towards Philly, since I am very much a city person (I'll miss NYC like crazy), but I've heard that it isn't as near to campus as the BMC website claims...The grad student I talked to a couple of weeks ago said that about half of the grad students live in Philly though, but she doesn't and therefore couldn't offer too much advice in that area. Otherwise she was ridiculously informative and very friendly. She said that just about every day a professor stops by her carrel to show her some article or give her some book just because they found it interesting. As much as I love NYC and my friends/professors at Columbia, it will be ridiculously nice to get away from the big research university atmosphere...

::7 hours of sleep since Sunday and counting...oh, senior thesis, how I love you::

congrats to all the people who received acceptances. I will be applying this fall and am curious if anyone is familiar with the History, Theory and Criticism of Architecture and Art program at MIT. The HTC site does not specifically state if their PhD program is a combined ma/phd program or just admits candidates who already possess an MA . I hear they only let 1 art history track student in a year, but there is a professor there that I would love to study under. Any info would be great. Thanks!

Well I was rejected from Art History programs across the board- granted they were all Ivy and I somewhat decidedly wrote in my SOP that I don't want to be a historian per se, but more of a cultural theorist (Lucy Lippard, Donna Haraway and Baudrillard are but three of my heroes). So in actuality, everything worked out as it should- I got into NYU for Visual Culture and I honestly couldn't be happier. I do have an undergraduate degree in Art History but the more I think about the Visual Culture program, I get more excited then I did when I looked at Yale/Columbia's course catalog.

Here's hoping I get some money!

8)

Good luck to you all.

I'm having hard time deciding which program to attend next fall and I would like your honest opinions.

The options that I'm considering are:

Bryn Mawr College, PhD - full tuition with fellowship stipend

Tufts, Terminal MA - 3/4 tuition

What do you think are pros/cons of going into PhD without MA degree?

I am already in love with Bryn Mawr but the range of courses offered seems rather limited.

I can't quite cross off Tufts from the list because the professor in my field is a perfect match in terms of our research interests. She's been very persistent in her attempt to recruit me over the last few weeks and it's really hard to say no. Do you think it's worth to decline an offer from BMC and go to Tufts just for a professor? I think overall program quality and facilities at BMC are better.

charis - are you 110% certain that academia is what you want to do with your life? if so, I would go with BMC. if you aren't 110% sure, I would do a MA first. that's what I did, and the MA experience really weeded out the people who weren't entirely convinced that they wanted to do academia. many people got burned out and decided to go another route.

on the flip side, BMC is an excellent school (have you visited - gorgeous and a great reputation!) and from what I heard, it sounded like an offer of a fellowship is a true honor as not everyone is provided one. have you visited both programs? is debt an issue (ie do you have loans from undergrad)?

FWIW, I don't think my MA made much of a difference at all when I applied to PhD programs, in all honesty. I am almost definitely going to have to redo it anyway. the terminal MA program was really useful for me in first, making me absolutely SURE that I wanted to start down a career path that requires a longterm commitment, second, helping me really define and pinpoint my research interests/field, and finally, getting work experience/research skills/publications.

congrats to all the people who received acceptances. I will be applying this fall and am curious if anyone is familiar with the History, Theory and Criticism of Architecture and Art program at MIT. The HTC site does not specifically state if their PhD program is a combined ma/phd program or just admits candidates who already possess an MA . I hear they only let 1 art history track student in a year, but there is a professor there that I would love to study under. Any info would be great. Thanks!

I know people that have been admitted to that program without an MA. They admit only one art history track student each year.

charis - are you 110% certain that academia is what you want to do with your life? if so, I would go with BMC. if you aren't 110% sure, I would do a MA first. that's what I did, and the MA experience really weeded out the people who weren't entirely convinced that they wanted to do academia. many people got burned out and decided to go another route.

FWIW, I don't think my MA made much of a difference at all when I applied to PhD programs, in all honesty. I am almost definitely going to have to redo it anyway. the terminal MA program was really useful for me in first, making me absolutely SURE that I wanted to start down a career path that requires a longterm commitment, second, helping me really define and pinpoint my research interests/field, and finally, getting work experience/research skills/publications.

lxs:

Thanks a lot! It really helped although I haven't made up my mind yet. I'm absolutely sure academia is where I want to be.

I visited BMC yesterday and luckily I had a chance to talk to one of the grad students there who happen to have finished her MA at Tufts and worked with the professor I would work with at Tufts. She told me although she loved Tufts, she had to do her coursework all over again and she feels that it slowed her down a bit. I agree that it makes more sense to enter PhD program without taking a detour if I am absolutely certain about my goals. I think I will just follow my gut feeling - I could totally see myself at Bryn Mawr and it just felt right.

the17thscream:

You should definitely visit campus if you can. It's only 2 hours away from NYC by train. I took the Amtrak from Penn Station to Philly which was about 1.2 hour long train ride. From there to Bryn Mawr, it takes only 20 minutes or so by regional train. They funded my travel (reimbursement up to $125). You should definitely contact the department and arrange an appointment. Campus is small but absolutely gorgeous. People in the department - staff members, professors and students - were all very friendly and genuinely nice. I got to sit in their weekly colloquium/symposium where Prof. Saltzman gave a talk about Barnett Newman's Passion paintings followed by lively q&a / discussions. I also had a chance to talk with Prof. Hertel, whom I believe you will be working with. She was very down to earth and approachable. From what I heard, they only admit 4-5 new students every year and each professor seems to advise 5-6 students at BMC. My would-be-advisor assured me I will never have to fight for personal attention. He also explained that he's more interested in helping me become who I want to be rather than making me fit into a mold. Their emphasis on art theories and criticism in their approach is also on point with my viewpoint. I think I'd definitely accept their offer but am still waiting to hear back from Umich. Anyway, I know you're working on your thesis...good luck!!! Maybe we can get together after you're done and share worries and information!

To Renaissance08:

Are you going to Rutgers? I was hoping to work with Prof. McHam, but I had to decline their offer since they made it clear that there will be no chance of me receiving any financial aid in the future. Good luck in your future endeavors and hope to see you around at conferences/talks/other opportunities!

If you aren't already aware of it, there's this art history symposium at the Frick next Friday-Saturday you shouldn't miss. Maybe I'll see you there!

Charis-

I've decided not to go to Rutgers, though it's been a *really* tough decision. I'm trying to write a letter to Prof McHam now, and having some difficulty--she is so wonderful. Have you decided yet? What was your first choice?

I really, really wish I could attend the Frick Symposium!! Some of the lectures look wonderful. I work both Friday and Saturday, no sick or personal days (oh the joys of working in an art gallery--only days off are when the owner decides he wants to close the gallery, which is hardly ever). Maybe next year...?

Any suggestions regarding how to write OUR rejection letters?

well, i found out the only program I was accepted to is not offering me any funding. I am 99% sure I will not go - I only had partial funding for my MA and just can't see taking out any more student loans. is anyone going without funding? I know there were some issues with NYU not giving any. It really seems like it's loans or nothing. ugh.

Renaissance08,

Where are you going instead? Prof. McHam is really amazing. I've been trying to write a letter to Prof. Baskins at Tufts and it's also really difficult for me, cause I admire her works. I feel like I'm committing intellectual prostitution for a fellowship stipend.

Ah, the gallery work...low wage and long work hours, no competent benefits package...when I interned at a gallery two summers ago, these didn't bother me as much as their treatment of art works as mere commodities. I think it's true that many of the galleries are more interested in generating sales commission than in generating exchange of intellectual conversation between artists and their works and the world. Hence my decision to go into academia...

Btw, which area are you interested in - Florentine or Venetian art?

well, i found out the only program I was accepted to is not offering me any funding. I am 99% sure I will not go - I only had partial funding for my MA and just can't see taking out any more student loans. is anyone going without funding? I know there were some issues with NYU not giving any. It really seems like it's loans or nothing. ugh.

lxs,

I'm so sorry about your funding situation. Is there any outside fellowship you can apply to? Hope it works out fine!

Hi there,

I've been lurking on the board for a while...

lxs, you're the person considering CUNY, right? Has someone there confirmed that you won't be offered a fellowship? The department still seems to be making some decisions in this area... Sorry to be cryptic--it's not really my information to tell--but maybe all hope is not lost.

The other thing is... do you know how many transfer credits you'll end up getting from your MA? I've known quite a few people who have worked full-time while carrying two courses per semester in the art history department at CUNY... Maybe this would be an option for you? I may end up doing this myself, although I'm concerned about how long it would take to finish the degree... but then I was thinking, maybe you're way ahead of the game, and you could manage this arrangement and still actually finish within the next decade? :wink: It might be something to consider.

This has been a pretty grim process for me as well, so I know how hard it is, but try to keep your chin up.

My visit to the IFA this week really threw me for a loop. I was so impressed with the program, the students, the faculty. I really grilled my student tour guide and his friends about the competitive atmosphere. While their main complaint was with the departmental hoops that must be jumped through, everyone said that whatever competition there is between the students is mostly of the healthy, hardworking sort. Everyone was really so nice and welcoming. I felt like I could be happy there.

I flew home on Tuesday night ready to throw my offers of full funding out the window....I wanted to go that badly, despite being offered zero funding by the IFA and the expense of New York. I still do. I had met with Priscilla Soucek and my potential advisor Thomas Crow and explained my situation to them (i.e. my far superior Northwestern offer) but said that NYU was absolutely my first choice.

I opened my inbox on Wednesday to an e-mail stating that they had reconsidered my application and had decided to offer me a tuition fellowship!!! It seems dreams really do come true. I am still going to visit Northwestern as planned on Monday, but I have pretty much made up my mind - now I just have to convince my parents. I'm going to have to take out a loan just to be able to live in NYC...

So, Renaissance08, if you're crazy then so am I! :lol:

I have never been a risk-taker but I feel like this is one of those moments where you either follow your dream or you regret it forever.

I am most likely rejecting my CUNY offer (though I was impressed by the program) and am praying that whatever funding they were considering for me goes to lxs....

stylefaxee:

that's awesome! Though I'm very sad to hear that you won't do Northwestern. It really is a good school.. but yes, NYU is a very tempting place, and it's great that you actually got funding! Are you doing IFU for MA or Ph.d?

et pour moi..

I just accepted an offer but my application for Columbia is still holding - they said the "hope" to send the decisions to the grad office on Apr.14. wow, speaking of slow decision making..

Should I let them know that I don't intend to go there in advance? Though I sort of curious to find out if I actually got in.. :P

hey chagrin falls... so are you definitely going to CUNY? I wrote to the chair, who told me that he "could not be optimistic" about funding and that right now they had nothing to offer me. I've analyzed the message TO DEATH and still haven't come to any solid conclusions...does this mean I'm at the bottom of the list for funding, is he just trying not to get my hopes up? I have no idea! even if they would just pay for my TUITION, I would do what it took to live there, but I just can't get over the idea of taking out more loans. ugh. I hadn't thought of working full-time, though...I will definitely consider it before I give up entirely. I am just terrified at the thought of moving to NYC and not being able to find a job and blowing through my savings in a month.

on a side note, are you from chagrin falls in ohio by chance? I went to school nearby, and my ex boyfriends parents live there :)

Hearing all these things about IFA, now I wish I applied there. It didn't even cross my mind while I was researching for programs since I'm not familiar with any of the Renaissance professors except Trachtenberg and architecture is not my thing. But Linda Nochlin's teaching there...!!!

You're definitely not crazy, Renaissance08. Plus, think about all the exhibitions and internship opportunities in the city...!