Applying to UPenn with an MA

I just came across a posting on the results page that mentioned UPenn only accepts one applicant with an MA to their PhD program each year. Can anyone confirm this information? If so, as someone with an MA, I'm wondering if there is any point in applying when the program is already extremely competitive--these odds just seem impossible. Are there any other programs that have similar tendencies that I should know about? 

• 1 month later...
On 9/20/2017 at 5:43 PM, clinamen said:

I just came across a posting on the results page that mentioned UPenn only accepts one applicant with an MA to their PhD program each year. Can anyone confirm this information? If so, as someone with an MA, I'm wondering if there is any point in applying when the program is already extremely competitive--these odds just seem impossible. Are there any other programs that have similar tendencies that I should know about? 

Hi, to agree with @darcyt, I believe that is true of Penn State and not UPenn - my "knowledge" is hearsay, but I also have a friend at UPenn who has an MA and, having met her cohort, she is not the only one. 

On 11/2/2017 at 11:25 PM, snickus said:

Wow, I had no idea about that tendency. Does anyone know Penn State's reasoning for this?

I think it is because they prefer candidates with an MA from their institution. I am applying to PSU this cycle, and I had a conversation on the phone with a professor who specifically said something along those lines. I think most programs view a Master's from another institution positively, however, as long as it is from a program that you did well in.   

On 11/2/2017 at 11:25 PM, snickus said:

Wow, I had no idea about that tendency. Does anyone know Penn State's reasoning for this?

From my communications with Penn State: You can apply to Penn State's MA program even if you already have an external MA. This would require additional time to be spent doing coursework. However, most programs won't accept all of your coursework and there are other programs that require you to start from scratch. I think part of the reason Penn State does this is to ensure that everyone that graduates from there has had a near-equal level rigor in terms of classes and have had the same opportunities available to present, teach, and publish with a near equal amount of time. From my understanding, 90 percent of those accepted into the MA program there continue doing their PHD program. The remaining 10 percent decide that they'd like to apply elsewhere (as research interests change) or decide that a PHD program isn't for them.

Thanks, @Dogfish Head and @Warelin

Anyone know if funding is typically the same for students in the MA program as in the PhD program? The web site says: The Department funds all of the MA and PhD students it admits. We expect that students admitted to the MA will go on to the PhD, so students in the MA-PhD program have six years of funding for seminars and dissertation research.  http://english.la.psu.edu/graduate/funding-and-support

Since "funds all" doesn't necessarily mean funds all at the same level, :( I'm a little concerned. It sounds like the funding is the same for both programs, but my financial worry wart self would appreciate if anyone in the know can confirm that.