PhD in Neuroscience/ Masters in general Psych... hope to reduce some time in Clinical Program?

camino

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

I will have a master's and a PhD in Neuroscience and a masters in general psychology from UK universities when I apply for clinical psych PhDs in the US. I am American but have been living abroad for some time. In order to pursue the mixed clinical/ research career I'd like in the US, a Clinical PhD seems my best option now.

My questions are (1) can programs waive requirements such as a Master's thesis (or perhaps more!) when a student enters with an acceptable non-counseling degree?, and (2) would this be an appropriate thing to contact admissions departments about? I don't want to appear overconfident about getting in whatsoever by already asking to bypass some of their typical degree requirements, but given that I've already spent so many years in higher education, I'd really like to avoid doing unnecessary, redundant work. I'd rather spend time doing research for publication rather than going through the motions with specific thesis requirements. The APA website also says "some doctoral programs will accept students for respecialization as a part of their regular doctoral training group" which made me hopeful that perhaps some programs might be accommodating. Any suggestions of specific programs? 

I know there are APA-accredited respecialization programs but I do not believe I am eligible for these given that my PhD is in neuroscience rather than psychology (per one admission advisor, and even though my field is neuropsychology specifically). The cost of those programs is not something I'm in a position to take on either.

Thanks again for any insights!!

I would definitely call the admissions office about how much, if anything, can be waived or transferred over. Several PhD programs allow a transfer of credits. But even that process is not universal. Those that do could take only 2-3 classes worth of credits, others will take more. You will have to ask each school to know their policies.

The thesis will be a completely different process. I foresee far fewer schools interested in taking a thesis from a previous school. Most schools want you to complete your thesis as part of their schooling process. It helps develop the resources and skills within their academic lab. You can check, but I wouldn't lead with that in a discussion!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in Canada, so this may not be completely relevant, but a colleague of mine went through a similar process of you in respecialization. She completed her PhD in Neuroscience, and currently doing her second PhD in Clinical Neuropsychology. I agree with @_kita in that you should consult with the schools on their process. In my colleague's case, she did not have to do another Masters thesis, and is in a specialized track to complete the relevant Masters courses while simultaneously doing her PhD course work and doing the required clinical components. It may take a bit longer given that there are specific clinical psych courses to complete, but it is plausible! 

Good luck!