Faculty Members supporting application question?

samman1994

Question

Hi Guys,

So I've started to fill out the basics of the applications for PhD programs at various schools, and I've come across a question here that is a little bit confusing. The application asks: "Some programs require applicants to list faculty members of interest or faculty members supporting the application" Now the first portion is faculty members I'm interested in, but the second section is asking faculty members supporting my application. Does this mean faculty members that I've talked to that have already said they're interested in having me? I don't exactly know what this question means. Any help will be appreciated thank you!

6 answers to this question

Do they have two separate sections to fill out for that question?

This could mean professors who you have reached out to who have explicitly said you can mention them in your SoP/when applying. It could also just mean "list the faculty you want to work with"

No it provides three boxes to basically check. Either, you're interested in working with them, faculty support your application, or both. Then it has spaces for you to put the names of the faculty members. But I don't know what they man be "faculty supports your application"

Sounds to me like that question is for students who have more direct connections with the department already, so you would see undergrads and researcher from that program have "professors in support of it."

But I would ask for clarification too.