New NDSEG website not secure?

timedilation

Hi, I am in the same boat as a few people it seems - I still have not received an update email and have checked all my spam folders etc. I also did not receive the January email so I am concerned that something went wrong with my application. I have emailed STI multiple times and have yet to hear back. When I called about a week and a half ago they said they were still making decisions and would be sending out the remaining emails in the next couple of days...so who knows what's going on. It sounds like they are adjusting to the new system. We'll see! Best of luck to everyone. 

13 hours ago, psychphd2017 said:

Hi, I am in the same boat as a few people it seems - I still have not received an update email and have checked all my spam folders etc. I also did not receive the January email so I am concerned that something went wrong with my application. I have emailed STI multiple times and have yet to hear back. When I called about a week and a half ago they said they were still making decisions and would be sending out the remaining emails in the next couple of days...so who knows what's going on. It sounds like they are adjusting to the new system. We'll see! Best of luck to everyone. 

I'm in the exact same situation! I emailed twice, heard nothing back either time, and when I called the woman who answered sounded very annoyed and simply told me that the decisions were still being made. Still don't understand why I wouldn't have gotten the updated graduate education information email though, so I don't think I'm still being considered at this point :/

15 minutes ago, citrullination said:

I'm in the exact same situation! I emailed twice, heard nothing back either time, and when I called the woman who answered sounded very annoyed and simply told me that the decisions were still being made. Still don't understand why I wouldn't have gotten the updated graduate education information email though, so I don't think I'm still being considered at this point :/

I wouldn't fret. From looking at the discusson from last year, its an absolute mess. They even accepted people directly from the rejected list! So point being, until you get an explicit email, don't worry. All we can do until then is just pester them every once and a while. Probably they will release it all next week. 

20 minutes ago, imwa said:

People who have called them, did it sound like they were going to tell us this week or next? I think I am starting to go a little crazy waiting here.

Same

1 hour ago, imwa said:

People who have called them, did it sound like they were going to tell us this week or next? I think I am starting to go a little crazy waiting here.

Just got off of the phone with my buddy Barbara at Sti-Tec, who said that they plan to make final announcements by the 13th. Apparently they're still reviewing applications.

2 hours ago, cephnerd said:

Just got off of the phone with my buddy Barbara at Sti-Tec, who said that they plan to make final announcements by the 13th. Apparently they're still reviewing applications.

I thought DOD does the selection? Hahah I dont get it. NSF likes to brag about number of women, minorities, etc and thats a big part of their selection process... but NDSEG doesnt seem to care as much, and so it seems like itd be faster.

Also, I'm pretty sure that's just when they announced last year. Who knows, they may announce much sooner.

Edited by GoldenDog

2 hours ago, cephnerd said:

Poor Barbara. She definitely hates all of us by now. But, agreed, waiting is getting tough. I just keep checking this page because I have a feeling that when final decisions are released, I won’t get THAT a email either so I’m relying on you all to raise the alarm :D

Hi everyone,

I just received this as an answer to my inquiry about the March 16 notification:

Thanks for reaching out! Our apologies for any confusion. We anticipate making notifications to those selected and those not selected by the end of next week. Please follow up with us the following Monday should you not receive an email. We appreciate your patience and understanding in this matter.

Of course, I think I have figured out why I never received the notification. I never received a link to forward to my references and, therefore, never had any letters submitted. Back when I submitted my application (which was fairly early), I had no idea that they would not be sent directly to our letter writers. Oh well.

34 minutes ago, EliosHarg said:

Hi everyone,

I just received this as an answer to my inquiry about the March 16 notification:

Thanks for reaching out! Our apologies for any confusion. We anticipate making notifications to those selected and those not selected by the end of next week. Please follow up with us the following Monday should you not receive an email. We appreciate your patience and understanding in this matter.

Of course, I think I have figured out why I never received the notification. I never received a link to forward to my references and, therefore, never had any letters submitted. Back when I submitted my application (which was fairly early), I had no idea that they would not be sent directly to our letter writers. Oh well.

Let them know this. This process is frankly very stupid, because you never get a confirmation email when your actual application is truly complete. I had to email them to confirm this was the case near the deadline. 

I sent them an email describing my experience. It seems highly unlikely that it will impact my application this year (my guess is that it has already been thrown out). However, I hope that it will improve their process for next year.

8 hours ago, GoldenDog said:

Let them know this. This process is frankly very stupid, because you never get a confirmation email when your actual application is truly complete. I had to email them to confirm this was the case near the deadline. 

I agree. I very luckily emailed them to confirm I had all three letters received because of this issue.  Good thing I did this because I only had 2/3 received despite my third letter writer swearing they had submitted it. The lack of receiving any final confirmation is very unsettling.

On 4/4/2018 at 5:11 PM, runrabbit said:

Poor Barbara. She definitely hates all of us by now. But, agreed, waiting is getting tough. I just keep checking this page because I have a feeling that when final decisions are released, I won’t get THAT a email either so I’m relying on you all to raise the alarm :D

Anyone wana be the sacrificial lamb and call today? Ha ha ha

15 minutes ago, GoldenDog said:

Anyone wana be the sacrificial lamb and call today? Ha ha ha

I working under the notion that they won’t release until Friday. But will that stop me from constantly refreshing my email...nope! 

26 minutes ago, kwisco said:

I working under the notion that they won’t release until Friday. But will that stop me from constantly refreshing my email...nope! 

I mean they said the same thing last year, by the 14th (Friday then). But they actually released on Tuesday the 11th. Also, the 15th is the deadline for many offers, so it'd be cruel sort of cruel to just release Friday afternoon and not really allow students time to work out some items. I think they'll release sooner, but maybe not!

1 hour ago, GoldenDog said:

I mean they said the same thing last year, by the 14th (Friday then). But they actually released on Tuesday the 11th. Also, the 15th is the deadline for many offers, so it'd be cruel sort of cruel to just release Friday afternoon and not really allow students time to work out some items. I think they'll release sooner, but maybe not!

Those are some good points! So by the sounds of your last comment, it seems you were able to apply for a second time. Do you know the eligibility rules for reapplying? Is it once as undergrad/once as graduate student like NSF? Also did you receive feedback from reviewers on your application? I wasn’t able to find this information on the website. 

1 hour ago, kwisco said:

Those are some good points! So by the sounds of your last comment, it seems you were able to apply for a second time. Do you know the eligibility rules for reapplying? Is it once as undergrad/once as graduate student like NSF? Also did you receive feedback from reviewers on your application? I wasn’t able to find this information on the website. 

Nah I applied this year as undergrad for the first time. However, from what I know, the reviewers havent provided feedback in the past. But the application was also different before (Up to third year PhD?). It seems like you as long as you meet their eligibility criteria (1st or second year grad student? I dont remember), there isnt a stipulation about number of apps...

Edited by GoldenDog

I applied last year as an UG, and got rejected. You don’t receive any feedback. I’m applying this year as a 1st year PhD and from my understanding can re-apply next year too as a 2nd year. Pretty sure it only goes up to 2nd year though? Can someone confirm?

2 hours ago, GoldenDog said:

Nah I applied this year as undergrad for the first time. However, from what I know, the reviewers havent provided feedback in the past. But the application was also different before (Up to third year PhD?). It seems like you as long as you meet their eligibility criteria (1st or second year grad student? I dont remember), there isnt a stipulation about number of apps...

55 minutes ago, runrabbit said:

I applied last year as an UG, and got rejected. You don’t receive any feedback. I’m applying this year as a 1st year PhD and from my understanding can re-apply next year too as a 2nd year. Pretty sure it only goes up to 2nd year though? Can someone confirm?

Okay thanks for the info! I don’t have high hopes for this year so just want to start thinking ahead.

The old NDSEG application did, in fact, allow third-years to apply although this was only made clear in an FAQ video they posted to their Facebook page (which is no longer available). They stated that you could apply as a third-year because you completed no greater than two years. You can see from the new application's eligibility page that they now explicitly state that third-years can apply.

1 hour ago, Argon said:

The old NDSEG application did, in fact, allow third-years to apply although this was only made clear in an FAQ video they posted to their Facebook page (which is no longer available). They stated that you could apply as a third-year because you completed no greater than two years. You can see from the new application's eligibility page that they now explicitly state that third-years can apply.

So, there are two things that seem a little conflicting:

"Graduate Students (1st year, 2nd year, 3rd year)"

"Pre-Doctoral Students (1st year, 2nd year)"

So, does this mean PhD students who have completed their 2nd year and have not received a masters are still eligible (3rd year Graduate Student)? But wouldn't that put them as a 3rd year pre-doctoral student and make them ineligible? A bit confused here.

2 hours ago, doctorjuice said:

So, there are two things that seem a little conflicting:

"Graduate Students (1st year, 2nd year, 3rd year)"

"Pre-Doctoral Students (1st year, 2nd year)"

So, does this mean PhD students who have completed their 2nd year and have not received a masters are still eligible (3rd year Graduate Student)? But wouldn't that put them as a 3rd year pre-doctoral student and make them ineligible? A bit confused here.

Woah, I have zero clue what that means to be honest. The more I interact with STI-TEC, the more I'm convinced they have no idea what being a graduate student actually is...

Edited by Argon