New NDSEG website not secure?

timedilation

8 minutes ago, gradcatmewsings said:

Showed up in my inbox at 9:41 am PST! I was literally checking this forum for news when it showed up!

Hmm, so it sounds like they did not in fact send out the emails all at once. Well, hopefully that means the rest of us will hear some time today. Congratulations to you!

6 minutes ago, runrabbit said:

Two of my coworkers just got rejection emails that said they were in the top 200 applicants, but due to budget cuts they only selected 69 this year.

Are you serious? That’s horrible news. I’m kicking myself all over again for not having applied last year.

Do you know how recent their emails were?

Edited by KD35

Just got my rejection at 1:09 eastern time.  It was in my spam box.  Kind of depressed because of the long wait and negative outcome, but oh well.  That's life.  

Hello XXX,

Thank you for applying to the 2018 National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowship Program administered by Solutions Through Innovative Technology, Inc. (STI-Tec). We are writing to inform you of your status.

As you know, your application was chosen to move forward to the final step in the process: the DoD Panel Review. We regret to inform you that you were not selected as part of the 2018 class. This year we planned to award roughly 200 fellowships and only 69 were selected due to the budget.

Because you made it to the final step of the process, we will be unable to provide application feedback. Should you have questions or concerns about your application, please reach us at ndsegf@sti-tec.com. Emails will be answered in the ordered they are received. Due to the volume of inquiries, please allow up to two weeks for a response. We appreciate your understanding.

We hope that you will consider applying for the 2019 class, should you be eligible for the program. The application is set to open in September. Additional information can be found on the website, as it becomes available, at: www.ndsegfellowships.org

Thank you for your interest in the NDSEG Fellowship and best of luck to you!

-The NDSEG Fellowship Team

Edited by ttsupra

40 minutes ago, runrabbit said:

Two of my coworkers just got rejection emails that said they were in the top 200 applicants, but due to budget cuts they only selected 69 this year.

Just curious if their emails say they were in the top 200? Just received my rejection 21 minutes ago =/ and it said: "This year we planned to award roughly 200 fellowships and only 69 were selected due to the budget." Curious if your coworkers said this or something else, that they actually made the top 200?

I really wish they had specified the budget cut stuff BEFORE the application was released (or at least before the deadline!) Maybe fewer people would have applied in that case, those who didn’t really need it. I still would have applied though. Assuming I don’t get it, I will likely have to drop out of my program (2nd year PhD, no fellowships, and potential advisor will only take me if I have a fellowship. I may be able to persuade him to take me if I can get a TAship, but I’m not guaranteed to get one, they are a TON of work, and he’s worried that I won’t have enough time for research if I have to TA). This would be very sad, even though it’s ultimately all my own doing. Sigh...

23 minutes ago, Entangled Phantoms said:

STI-TEC's cut is probably a lot larger than ASEE's.

Edit: Never mind! Misinterpreted what you were saying. 

Funding doesn't have to do with STI-TEC or ASEE. These agencies just handle the logistics of managing the fellowship but aren't involved in selecting the fellows or how many fellows are accepted. The funding cut was probably for the relevant subdivision of AFRL, which I believe is the DOD agency that oversees the fellowship (even though ARO, AFRL, and NRL all select fellows). Interestingly, the DOD's research budget did not get a cut in the 2019 budget. Regardless, it's out of the administering agency's hands (just like how the NSF GRFP budget is based on NSF's budget, not ASEE). 

Edited by Argon

24 minutes ago, fredrogers3 said:

Any luck in the past with people getting off the waiting list?  

Appears so, based on the Results section from last year. But given that there are fewer awardees this year, the likelihood of getting off the wait list is lower this year than last.