Diversity Statement - Clinical Science

Does anyone have experience with writing a diversity statement for a successful application for clinical science? I do not mention adversity in my academic personal statement, but a program I might apply to specifically asks for diversity/adversity history.  Is it okay to bare all if the program asks and you use that information to explain why you are a better candidate for it? Or will certain information work against you and seem divulge-y?

15 minutes ago, kristincas said:

Does anyone have experience with writing a diversity statement for a successful application for clinical science? I do not mention adversity in my academic personal statement, but a program I might apply to specifically asks for diversity/adversity history.  Is it okay to bare all if the program asks and you use that information to explain why you are a better candidate for it? Or will certain information work against you and seem divulge-y?

It is okay to divulge. That's what they want. But make it about what and how you've overcome those obstacles. That will show skills and character development you SOP does not.

Although not in the same area, I've had to write diversity statements for a few of my apps. What I tried to do was tell a story that shows how my unique background as (insert all the reasons I'm a diverse candidate here) makes me want to pursue (insert research interest here). In some cases, I did not dwell on the diversity aspect (I offhandedly refer to myself as a woman at one point, rather than dedicating a paragraph to my gender and preferred pronouns), but I tried to weave all of the things that they might find of interest in a diverse candidate (that are actually part of who I am) into one coherent story that explains part of the passion I have for the work I plan to do.