should I use an employer recommendation letter apply for Ph.D. programs

Hi,

I actually have a question about should I use an employer recommendation letter apply for Ph.D. programs?

I worked with two professors and I will get their recommendations. However, I don't have a third professor who can write me a very strong recommendation letter. I have worked in a full-time statistics position and my employer can give me a very strong recommendation.  Is it ok to use an employer recommendation applying for Ph.D.?  I know most Ph.D programs are focused on research and academia. But which one will you choose from a very strong employer recommendation vs a mid professor recommendation?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you very much!

I would say absolutely! If they can speak to your work ethic and it is related to your field then it is just as good as a professor. If you were asking about something in retail or food service I would say no way. It is better to get a great recommendation from someone you work closely with than from a professor who can't speak to your credentials. 

Absolutely you can use a related employment supervisor as a recommender. They can speak to your ability to apply the academic knowledge which only strengthens your application in general.