Spring 2018 Applicants

NatRose

It's only been four days since the Oct 1 application, and the wait is already unbearable.  It's my first time applying to graduate school, and I'm applying to the only Spring school in Florida: UCF. Should that fail, I'll apply to the rest of the FL schools for Fall.  Sigh.  

(My stats: applying for Speech-Language Pathology, am bilingual SLP-A   cGPA: 3.48  CSD/Last 60: 3.7    GRE:  154Q / 159V/ 4.0w)

How do you keep yourself distracted while waiting for decisions? What are you applying for? How do you mentally prepare yourself for the uncertainty of the decision?

It's such a struggle! Half of mine closed on October 1st, but the other half closed on September 15th. I found those out last week! So I think on the others we have to just keep checking and wait. I distracted myself (as best I could) but staying very busy... studying for a Korean test, beginning to learn Japanese, etc. I wish you the best of luck!! 

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting.. I applied to just one school (Columbia U) as well on Oct 1st... but my LORs came a little later (they said a week or two is acceptable) so actually it's just been a couple days for me after I got everything settled. Their application was not open till beginning of September tho.. so they only gave us a month's window which is fairly short compared to fall. 

I was trying to find the timeline for Spring admission in previous years but did not find anything... So now I am wondering if there were very few people applying in the Spring semester (this is a fairly large program). Anyway, no news is good news! I guess we just have to be patient. I am actually doing a graduate program already at Columbia U so this is just an 'transfer' but they do not allow transfers between programs. 

Hope for the best!

I applied to Michigan State. My application has been in for several months, but they told me I probably wouldn't hear back until the last week of October or early November. (I did undergrad there, so I know the people making the decision.) Of course I've been checking all along, just in case; but I'm getting more frantic as it gets to be that time. I wish they could have let me know sooner, as I was deciding between two schools and the other one wanted a decision in July. I told them no, as this is a better program. But I feel like, since they know me, they probably already know what they plan to do, and would it really kill them to just let me know?

I am distracting myself with TV and with taking extra hours at my job.

• 2 weeks later...

And now it is early November. I am becoming crazed, checking for updates every ten minutes, and nothing is distracting me. Anybody have tips on how to deal with this? I am resisting the urge to email the decision maker; I feel like that would be a bad idea. I just want this to be over!