How LOR are sent?

Mohamad

Hello everyone :)

I am applying to Harvard BSS and I have a question regarding LOR:

How my professors/ mentors should send LOR for me? 

Should they send them to a specific email address or through another submission process? 

Thanks in advance

General answer, since I don't know the program you're applying to: 

- Most often: you enter an email address for each of your LOR writers in the application webpage -- a professional one, not a personal one -- and your LOR writers are then emailed a prompt with a link to where they can upload the letter and answer a few questions. Depending on the application portal and settings, the prompt is sent either as soon as you update the email addresses or only after you submit the application on your end. You'll have to figure that one out as you fill out the application.  

- Sometimes (less and less these days): you mail the letter in a sealed and signed envelope. Sealed+signed meaning that the LOR writer signs across the envelope flap so it's clear that you didn't open it or tamper with it. 

- Rarely: you mail the letter without the added precautions, or your LOR writer mails the letter. 

The instructions for what to do in each specific case should be clearly listed on the application webpage. Read the instructions. 

Though probably not in your case, I thought I would add one more to fuzzylogician's list.

By Email: The program provides an email address to which your writers will submit their letters directly. This is outside the application form. Only one of my programs has this requirement, but thought it was still worth mentioning.

Thanks GreenEyedTrombonist :)

I am planning to apply for PhD program in biological and biomedical sciences in the following Universities:

Harvard, Stanford, Johns Hopkins, Yale. 

Do you now any specific information about LOR in any of these Universities? 

8 minutes ago, Mohamad said:

Thanks GreenEyedTrombonist :)

I am planning to apply for PhD program in biological and biomedical sciences in the following Universities:

Harvard, Stanford, Johns Hopkins, Yale. 

Do you now any specific information about LOR in any of these Universities? 

It's different even within each department at the same university. Check out the webpage for each of the departments you're applying to. They should clarify the LOR format.