Monisha

Does anyone know the quality of faculty and programme in Alliant University for a Clinical Psychology PhD? I am from India and i havent heard of the university before but it is one of the few colleges i have seen with a department that focusses on LGBTQ mental health which i am interested in. I was looking for a back up option as i am applying to Teachers College Columbia and UCLA as well! :)

Alliant is not reputable. Do not waste an application there and do NOT waste your money going there. In fact, it's advisable to avoid professional schools altogether. You do not need to attend a program that focuses entirely on LGBTQ mental health to study/practice in that area. Look for universities with a faculty member who does research in that area, and apply to those faculty members' labs. There are TONS of programs with faculty that specialize in LGBTQ mental health.

Edited by metalpsychperson

For-profit universities (such as Alliant) generally don't have the best reputation. I would suggest seeking out specific faculty in PhD programs that conduct research with LGBTQ populations, as they have their own hands-on experience and expertise with the populations they work with. Also, if you're open to Counseling Psychology, there are numerous faculty that work with LGBTQ populations given the social justice focus that is common in many counseling psych programs.