SoP Advice for Cultural Anth

anthlady

I'm a senior in undergrad applying for sociocultural phd programs. I'm wondering how specific to make my SoP. I know the general area I want to study in, and I'm writing my senior honors thesis on the topic, but how in-depth should my SoP be? Do I need to clearly outline a specific problem/theory or I can I generally say: I'm interested in the intersection of racial white privilege and poverty and the ways in which these individuals utilize resources to construct meaning and identity in relation to notions of health, beauty and education. My work will draw on a framework of political economy, practice theory, and critical whiteness studies. 

I elaborate a bit on a lack of previous ethnographic research in this field, but I'm not too sure how specific I should get. I think I prefer to dedicate more space to how my work will fit into a certain program?

I'm applying to UCLA, U of T-Austin, Johns Hopkins, and CUNY if that matters

I appreciate your thoughts!

3 hours ago, anthlady said:

I'm interested in the intersection of racial white privilege and poverty and the ways in which these individuals utilize resources to construct meaning and identity in relation to notions of health, beauty and education. My work will draw on a framework of political economy, practice theory, and critical whiteness studies. 

This is a great starting point for your SoP.  I think writing about your intention to study these issues in whatever region you want to work in should be more than enough, and mentioning some of the theoretical frameworks you're interested in (as you've already done) is plenty.  I don't think adcomms will expect you to have a fully formed project just quite yet, especially coming straight out of undergrad.  

I wouldn't spend any time writing about your lack of ethnographic research - instead, write about what you have done.  What you're working on in your thesis, how you see your current research contributing to future work (if at all), etc.  You should also spend at least a paragraph writing about your fit within the department and which professors you want to work with. 

Feel free to PM me if you want someone to look over your SoP.  I'm also happy to share what I wrote for last year's application cycle - this goes for everyone applying this Fall!