Ford PreDissertation Fellowship 2018

Carly Rae Jepsen

Hello everyone, 

I noticed there was no thread for the Ford fellowship for 2018.

Also: does anyone know if the fellowship covers the entirety of a graduate program? I couldn't find any info on this on the website. I was interested in the Daisy Soros fellowship but since it only covers 2 years I preferred not to apply because a school could limit my funding and I could need that funding later.

Ford Predoctoral Fellowships are for three years of study. You'll probably be able to combine this with departmental funding, possibly using the fellowship early on and departmental funding later. You could probably do the same thing with the Soros fellowship or any others you may apply for. What the Ford Foundation says is actually pretty common: 

"Fellowship recipients must begin the first year of tenure on September 1, 2018 and must remain on tenure full-time for the academic year. After the first year of fellowship tenure, fellows may choose to defer funding for up to two years. All three years of support must be used within a five-year period."

Thanks for that info @rising_star. I may apply then since the deadline is far enough for my recommenders to submit letters. The Soros one is too late for me, and probably way more competitive anyway.

An issue is that I told a number of graduate schools that I was not seeking outside financial assistance, because at the time I wasn't. Could this be considered lying in an application? It wasn't intentional, I guess I could clarify to them in the case I obtain outside financial assistance?

• 1 year later...