How to explain bad GPA for unrelated BA?

EvelynD

Hey guys, I'm worried the results from a BA degree I obtained in the past will hurt my changes of being admitted to a PhD program. Before I obtained my current BA and MA degrees, I obtained a BA from a professional college. In my country, a professional college is not the same as a university degree. University means academic or research, and professional means literally that; middle management, human resources, marketing, etc. You get it, it is a completely different level of education. 

When I was doing my professional degree I was not in the right place and did not fit in well. I didn't care about good results as I did not have any academic ambitions. As a result, I have a 2.5 GPA.
The thing is, this degree does not matter for my academic career. A professional BA does not make you eligable for a MA or PhD, and it could just as well have been a diploma in hair dressing. I had to otbain a whole new BA at a research university to pursue a carreer in anthro.

BUT, the adcom won't know this and might look down on me for it. How do I make clear to them that the GPA does not matter for my academic / research career? Maybe mention it in my SoP? (my PoI thought this was a good idea). If so, what do I say?

Keep it quick, I would think.  "While I began training for [some stupid job], I soon realized that my best work would be done in anthropology [where you did brilliantly-- right?]..." 

Some members here have been on adcoms and might have more to say about the best format.

Thank you for your reply! My GPA went up from a 2.6 (professional college) to a 3.4 (master at research university). But if you don't understand the educational system this still doesn't really makes sense.

I think I;m just going to contact the graduate schools and program advisors to ask for their advice, and see where that leads me!

On 10/22/2017 at 12:25 PM, Concordia said:

Keep it quick, I would think.  "While I began training for [some stupid job], I soon realized that my best work would be done in anthropology [where you did brilliantly-- right?]..." 

I would not recommend thinking, much less writing of any previous work or educational experience as "completely different" or "stupid" when applying for any  competitive position: especially one you want--but especially for graduate school. (All the more if you don't know with absolute certainty where the anthropologists reading your SOP have done their fieldwork.)

Work is work, learning is learning, and learning advanced knowledge is very hard work. Eventually, a graduate student is going to have to study something or do a job that she doesn't like, or thinks pointless, or finds soul crushing, or considers stupid. Do professors want students who are going to focus on the tasks at hand and embrace the suck, or do they want students who are going to be realizing that there best work may be done "brilliantly" somewhere else? 

Instead, I recommend that less than optimal past experiences serve as (fleeting) reference points in a narrative of personal growth and developing/evolving intellectual interests. IMO, the narrative should convey one's increasing maturity and sense of responsibility. "From X to Y while at Institution A, I was an indifferent student; I deserved the marks I earned. After Z event, I began to find my footing. From that point forward..."

• 4 weeks later...
On 27-10-2017 at 9:02 PM, Sigaba said:

Instead, I recommend that less than optimal past experiences serve as (fleeting) reference points in a narrative of personal growth and developing/evolving intellectual interests. IMO, the narrative should convey one's increasing maturity and sense of responsibility. "From X to Y while at Institution A, I was an indifferent student; I deserved the marks I earned. After Z event, I began to find my footing. From that point forward..."

I gave it a positive twist by highlighting the positives that came out of it, and what I learned from it that pushed me into the direction I am going in now. Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

I had a similar predicament. I earned my first BA in Liberal Studies a decade ago with a pitiful 2.3 GPA. Later I went back and earned a second degree--BA in History--with a 3.7 GPA, and am now applying to graduate programs in history. Of the dozens of history departments and admissions officials I have spoken to about this, they have all said that the first Bachelor's degree will not hurt my chances much in light of the good GPA on the second (relevant) Bachelor's degree. They usually just say to briefly give an explanation of my personal growth in the Statement of Purpose that I submit. Even the graduate programs that say they require a 3.0 cumulative undergraduate GPA (my first undergrad degree + my second undergrad degree average out to less than 3.0 GPA because I took so many more classes in my first degree) have told me that they will waive that requirement for me in light of having a good GPA in a more relevant degree. I would not fret about your situation at all.

In my Statements of Purpose, I briefly addressed the bad GPA on my first BA by saying: "As you will see in my transcripts, I earned a low GPA in my first Bachelor’s degree—I had not yet found my career passion and reached my academic potential. My personal growth over the years and my cultivation of a genuine zeal for history are evidenced by the 3.7 GPA in my current history program, earned while working 60 hours per week."

Just make sure to focus on the strong points of your application when you are writing your Statements of Purpose. Open with an engaging and personal story about yourself. Highlight your good GRE scores, your volunteer work (relevant to your field of study if possible), the skills you cultivated in your paid work experience, examples that show personal character traits, and show that you have done your research on the department and its faculty (so that they will be confident you are a good fit for their program). 

Edited by TheHessianHistorian
grammar

Hi guys, I have a similar story to tell. 

During my last year in college I applied for a Phd in the US (completely unprepared) and got rejected. After that I was extremely pissed off with academia (thought I didn't deserve to be rejected, etcs) and kind of stoped caring for a semester. My grades went from a solid 8,0/10 to a 2,2/10. Then I got myself together, started a master's degree and worked hard enough to get a great GPA at graduate school, a 3.6 ish. And also have a few publications, one first author, to try to hide this fact.

This year I am applying again to graduate school in the US, and I have no idea on how to explain my mental breakdown (figuratively speaking here) and horrible semester. What should I do? 

I'd leave it a little vague.  Distractions, reduced motivations, whatever.  If they're kind, they might assume you were hospitalized or had a death in the family.  Someone else may have a specific line that worked, so don't stop reading here.

Either way, you got past that little bump and pulled yourself together after you realized what you most wanted to do.  If they want someone who walks on water every day, you're screwed.  But if they need someone who can do the work and is motivated to succeed, you have the start of a good story.

Edited by Concordia

12 hours ago, Concordia said:

I'd leave it a little vague.  Distractions, reduced motivations, whatever.  If they're kind, they might assume you were hospitalized or had a death in the family.  Someone else may have a specific line that worked, so don't stop reading here.

Either way, you got past that little bump and pulled yourself together after you realized what you most wanted to do.  If they want someone who walks on water every day, you're screwed.  But if they need someone who can do the work and is motivated to succeed, you have the start of a good story.

Oh gosh, so hard... Thank you for the advice though :)