Hey, I've seen some threads on bibliographies and writing samples. Most of my schools do not specify the inclusion of a bilblio. Literally one mentions it in the form of "20-25 double-spaced pages, including any bibliography or notes."

My question is, for shorter writing samples what's the deal?? I have a school with a 12-15 page limit and my biblio is 5 pages. With the 20 page samples, I feel okay doing my full biblio, but not with this one.

Any suggestions/similar concerns?

This would be a great thing to ask the grad administrator on a case-by-case basis.  My memory tells me that I did not count works cited pages as part of my page count, but obviously if the school specified that it counted I sure would have.  I think it would be a mistake to submit a writing sample without a complete works cited page.

Funny story:  I accidentally submitted a writing sample five pages over length to a school, seven over length if you include the works cited.  It was the school at which I am currently working on my dissertation.  All of which is to say, be careful, but don't be overly concerned that a small procedural mistake will tank your application.

2 hours ago, unicornsarereal said:

Update for others with the same question: I'm getting different answers!

Could you please clarify: are you getting different answers from different individuals in a specific department or different answers from different institutions?

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 11:48 AM, unicornsarereal said:

Hey, I've seen some threads on bibliographies and writing samples. Most of my schools do not specify the inclusion of a bilblio. Literally one mentions it in the form of "20-25 double-spaced pages, including any bibliography or notes."

My question is, for shorter writing samples what's the deal?? I have a school with a 12-15 page limit and my biblio is 5 pages. With the 20 page samples, I feel okay doing my full biblio, but not with this one.

Any suggestions/similar concerns?

Most of the programs I applied to during my season of applications required a WS of 15-20 pages. I did not "count" the Works Cited pages as part of the essay unless it was specified as you show in your post. As I was working on my MA at the time of my applications to PhD programs, most of my seminar papers were in the 15-20 page range, with some professors asking for 20-25 pages. These page counts were essay pages alone. My concerns were the same as yours. I called the departments that simply had a page number for WS and asked. If you email, you may or may not get an answer because it is an especially busy time. You don't want to shirk on your Works Cited for obvious reasons.