Portfolio Review Day 2018

peachgray

GO. I went to the one in S.F. And I got lots of feedback on my work. I went to the schools that I was interested and some that I wasn't. The point for me was to get as much feedback as possible to help me better prepare myself for the application process. With many of the reps there, it is easy to get direct feedback as to why some schools would think you are a good fit for their particular program. 

I talked to RISD, SAIC, SFAI, CalArts

RISD rep made a point to say that the faculty would be, "really interested in working with me"

SAIC - an old friend was their who I went to undergrad with and she gave me the rundown and encouraged me to apply 

SFAI - I was swooned by a particular faculty member who I think would be incredible to work with 

CalArts - I had been listening to the conversation with the admissions rep and a mother student ahead of me and he was getting torn apart, don't know if he was aware of it. I feel like he took the feedback personally and from what I was hearing him say about his work he was not ready for grad school there. 

I sat down expecting the same level of criticism, but to my surprise we had a lively conversation and by the end of it the rep was encouraging me to apply. Her words," Well if I wasn't sure at the beginning of this conversation, I am now really encouraging you to apply to CalArts." 

A little bit of background info: 

I have been working on creating a body of work for months now on my own for grad school. Very experimental stuff that I wasn't sure anyone would understand. I was in shock, to say the least, that all the schools I talked to that day were encouraging me to apply. 

If you do go, don't be afraid to ask questions. Why you think you would be a good fit, facilities, diversity, etc. Nothing is off the table. 

Cheers! Hope that helps. 

@peachgray I am still very skeptical. While the conversations went well, that is by no means a guarantee of admission. So I am not getting my hopes up in any way. I am going to apply to them however. Originally I did not plan on speaking to CalArts or SFAI, but after we talked they became very viable possibilities. Again it all depends on what you are looking for in a program. 

CalArts is an MFA in Art so there is a lot of wiggle room there. You can come in being a painter, but also explore sculpture, video, etc. 

SFAI is also interdisciplinary. They want you to find out what medium works best for your concept. 

RISD - I want able to get too much information about their program

SAIC - also interdisciplinary with lots of room to explore and experiment 

LACD: wants to see sketches as well as finished work

PAFA: Don't look to accomplished or they assume you will not be open to experimentation.

Tyler: Wants to know the deep meaning of your work, would like to see more of my 3D work even if I apply for MFA in painting

South Dakota: 3 year program, paid for 

RIT: You apply ones and can cross of more than one MFA discipline and they will accept you in program they feel you fit best.

All of them told me that even if you are applying for one discipline you are welcome to explore other diciplines ones you are accepted in their program.

Realization which mistakes I made applying last year: Looking to accomplished with no room to grow. Not showing work outside the painting MFA such as my 3D sculpture works. Resume feedback, remove experiences which have nothing to do with art and keep it to one page.

Edited by IrisR

I went to the one in NYC and it was amazing. I am a photographer about two and a half years out of undergrad. I have started working a new way rather recently and I have NO idea if I was on the right track. The review totally opened my eyes and many professors had suggestions of contemporary artist to follow. It also helped me cut some schools off my list which was way too long. Overall it was the best thing I have done in this process so far!

@IrisRThanks for sharing, it is really interesting to hear about your experience. Being asked to be less polished to get admitted seems like a pretty big red flag, why wouldn't a program want to encourage students who take their work seriously and present it in a very professional manner? very odd. But at least you now have a better understanding of what the programs want.  

@a_photo That kind of guidance seems super helpful, my list of school is also way too long! 

I was quite surprised working hart on a professional presentation. To assume that one would not be open to experimentation is short sighted. But then there was an article where they showed HR people resumes of very accomplished people without letting them know who's resume they where looking at. All the HR folks said they would not hire any of the people those resume belong too. The resumes where from people like Steve Jobs and others like him. http://www.digitalistmag.com/future-of-work/talent/2015/10/28/couldnt-hired-steve-jobs-03656390

My goal is to loosen up my portfolio without looking unprofessional.