MS or PhD?

RNadine21

So I applied to this school last month and they seem to really want me. They offered me a three-year fellowship if I switch my application from a MS to a PhD. The thing is, I'm not sure that I'm ready for a PhD. I would've rather started a MS program and decide then that I could handle that amount of work. However, the program is having a hard time finding an alternative way to fund me if I remain a MS candidate.

I really like this school, but I don't want to accept a PhD offer and then cop out. That wouldn't be the way that I want to earn a MS (the director outright told me that if I was tired after a couple of years I could write a thesis and leave with a master's - although he said that would be disappointing, and I agree)

I have no idea what to do....this is my second-choice school. The money is very appealing but I don't want to be in over my head. Also, I have another offer that I have to decide on by Mar. 15, and if I remain a MS candidate it could take until mid/late-April to hear from this school.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH#$#TRETT (/screaming)

Tough decision and I know how you feel. I'm doing the MS to PhD route too because I'm not sure if I really want to pursue that PhD. Although if I were offered that at my first choice or second choice school, I'd probably take it in a heart beat.

If you decide you don't want to do the PhD, and they give you an option to leave with an MS, then nobody is going to care if you actually do that except for the school you are leaving (and they're really setting themselves up for it, honestly). And if you're leaving with an MS, you're not staying in academia, so dropping out of a PhD program won't be a problem for you. In the sciences, the first two years of a PhD program are very similar to a thesis MS program, really. And if you decide to do a PhD, you're already in and two years ahead!

I'd say this is a no-brainer, with one caveat:

If you can see yourself doing a PhD in the future at a DIFFERENT school -- as in, you can imagine that this would no longer be your second-choice program and you would like to have different options for a PhD -- then this wouldn't be a great idea. You obviously won't be able to drop out with a masters and get a PhD elsewhere. It's also not a good idea if you're thinking of getting a masters, working, then getting a PhD, but that's a silly thing to do in a life science field, IMO, unless you have a serious aversion to having money :P

Tough decision and I know how you feel. I'm doing the MS to PhD route too because I'm not sure if I really want to pursue that PhD. Although if I were offered that at my first choice or second choice school, I'd probably take it in a heart beat.

Yea, it's starting to look a lot more appealing. To add to the appeal, the director pointed out that the program as far as course time, etc. is exactly the same either way, the only difference is the length of time I'd be spending on research.

If you decide you don't want to do the PhD, and they give you an option to leave with an MS, then nobody is going to care if you actually do that except for the school you are leaving (and they're really setting themselves up for it, honestly). And if you're leaving with an MS, you're not staying in academia, so dropping out of a PhD program won't be a problem for you. In the sciences, the first two years of a PhD program are very similar to a thesis MS program, really. And if you decide to do a PhD, you're already in and two years ahead!

If you can see yourself doing a PhD in the future at a DIFFERENT school -- as in, you can imagine that this would no longer be your second-choice program and you would like to have different options for a PhD -- then this wouldn't be a great idea. You obviously won't be able to drop out with a masters and get a PhD elsewhere. It's also not a good idea if you're thinking of getting a masters, working, then getting a PhD, but that's a silly thing to do in a life science field, IMO, unless you have a serious aversion to having money :P

Hahaha, good point. Basically the main things that are keeping me from outright applying for PhD programs are:

1. I have no desire to spend my career in academia (while I have all the respect in the world for teachers and professors, I have little patience and I can see myself turning into one of those crappy bitchy professors that students are scared of lol)

2. While I love to learn, I'm starting to feel that I'm at the end of my rope. I seriously feel like I can knock out 2-3 more years of school so that I can work in the field or lab for more money - I'm just getting more and more ready to work.

3. Judge if you must, but personally it's becoming very important for me to eventually have a family, and I don't care about a PhD enough to put it off/give it up altogether.

Although if it turns out I do want a PhD, I would love to get it at this school.

*Sigh* I'd just feel like I'm cheating them out of money if I take the fellowship knowing full well I only want a MS lol.

Hahaha, good point. Basically the main things that are keeping me from outright applying for PhD programs are:

1. I have no desire to spend my career in academia (while I have all the respect in the world for teachers and professors, I have little patience and I can see myself turning into one of those crappy bitchy professors that students are scared of lol)

Good for you for knowing that about yourself. It's those who don't figure that out that we should worry about.

2. While I love to learn, I'm starting to feel that I'm at the end of my rope. I seriously feel like I can knock out 2-3 more years of school so that I can work in the field or lab for more money - I'm just getting more and more ready to work.

Again, good for knowing thyself!

3. Judge if you must, but personally it's becoming very important for me to eventually have a family, and I don't care about a PhD enough to put it off/give it up altogether.

Who's to judge?! Those of us who cannot procreate until the day we die must consider these things. :) Having a family is a very noble thing.

Although if it turns out I do want a PhD, I would love to get it at this school.

*Sigh* I'd just feel like I'm cheating them out of money if I take the fellowship knowing full well I only want a MS lol.

Here's the thing. You did not lie to them. If you knew all of this and had not articulated it that would be "cheating them out of money." At this point they are GIVING you their money. Like that infamous gift horse I always hear of but never seems to come bearing ME any gifts, but I digress. A free MS is a GIFT! And you should not feel in any way guilty for taking someone up on a bet with poor odds (I am finding it hard to imagine the circumstances where a program telling you to take their money and leave if you must is ever a good deal for them, but, hey, that's not your job). The odds in life will be stacked against you enough. Take the breaks where you can get them.

Maybe this varies from one school to the next but this wouldn't be a problem in my discipline, primarily because you have to have a MA to get into a PhD program and because lots of people do their MA at one school and their PhD at another. Furthermore, when I applied to MA programs, one school admitted me to the PhD program because it was the only way they could give me funding. In a phone conversation, they explained the funding thing and said I was more than welcome to leave after getting the MA if that's what I wanted, or I could stay for the PhD. In hindsight, I sort of wish I'd taken that offer as it would've been 5-6 years total, as opposed to the 7 years I'm currently spending.

Well....I emailed the director last night to tell him that I would accept the fellowship.

He just emailed me saying that the two professors committed to other students in the month we've all been playing email tag, so nothing unless I find another potential adviser.

I feel like I've just been punched in the stomach.

Oh no he didn't!! That is the crapiest thing I have ever heard. How could they do that to you? Hold your head high, that only means that that wasn't the path you are meant to take...which could be a very good thing!

Well....I emailed the director last night to tell him that I would accept the fellowship.

He just emailed me saying that the two professors committed to other students in the month we've all been playing email tag, so nothing unless I find another potential adviser.

I feel like I've just been punched in the stomach.

If you wanted to stick around for a PhD, you had no problems doing it at this school. The school also told you that you were free to leave after the MA. I don't understand why you didn't grab the chance when you had the option to. Hope something works out soon..when it does, don't deliberate on it due to pricks of conscience because this is sometimes a rat race.. you just have to be ahead or you'll get punched in the stomach as you have been now.

If you wanted to stick around for a PhD, you had no problems doing it at this school. The school also told you that you were free to leave after the MA. I don't understand why you didn't grab the chance when you had the option to. Hope something works out soon..when it does, don't deliberate on it due to pricks of conscience because this is sometimes a rat race.. you just have to be ahead or you'll get punched in the stomach as you have been now.

Yea, it seems like when I said no they gave up on me. Honestly I just didn't feel ready for a PhD (and I know myself - I would've felt like I failed if I left with a MS. I'm one of those people who hates to "give up." I didn't want to grab whatever was thrown my way without really thinking about it.

Honestly, after my crying (oh yes, there were tears) I remembered that this school has been stressing me out for over a month now. The reason I never went up to visit/interview was because all three people were telling me different things/times to visit/etc., it seems like no one was talking to each other, so we never got around to settling on one date before this went down.

I do have another offer, so this isn't the worst thing in the world, but it still blows/hit my ego a bit.