Fall 2018 Application

I figured I would go ahead and start a thread for those that are currently in the application process for Fall 2018! I applied to University of Pitts, University of Wash, UCLA, NYU, Columbia, Rutgers, and my safety school Indiana University (where I currently attend for my BSW). Feel free to join in the discussion! 

Hi! I submitted my application to VCU yesterday. I know it's silly to expect an immediate answer, but I can't help but repeatedly check my email!

The email I got after submitting said, "Depending upon the particular program and its deadline, decisions are typically rendered within 4 weeks. Decision times vary for programs with rolling admissions. Feel free to contact the Graduate Admissions Office or the academic department to which you applied after four weeks."

That got me hopeful that I could possibly hear something way before the April 11th date on the website.

Does anyone know if VCU does rolling admissions? I applied to the full-time, distance program (2 years.)

Joining this thread :)

I just submitted my final application for Fall 2018 MSW programs! (and now the waiting game begins)... I applied to CSULB, CSUF, and USC's online program.

Hi! I'm in the process of applying now, just finishing up my personal statements!

I'm applying to OSU (my current undergrad), UMich, Pitt, Upenn, UW-Madison, and Case!

Good luck to everyone (:

Hey everyone!

I am applying to Columbia and NYU for Advanced Standing Fall 2018. Congrats on your NYU acceptance! What a fast response! Makes me want to hurry up and get my application in. I've been spending the bulk of my time on my Columbia application. Would you mind sharing your stats? 

2 hours ago, JonoDuncan said:

Hey everyone!

I am applying to Columbia and NYU for Advanced Standing Fall 2018. Congrats on your NYU acceptance! What a fast response! Makes me want to hurry up and get my application in. I've been spending the bulk of my time on my Columbia application. Would you mind sharing your stats? 

Once you finish your Columbia app, NYU will be a breeze. They ask pretty much the same questions. The longest part for me was writing my case example. I gave everyone a deadline to have my letters in. Worked perfectly. Also, do not be afraid to ask for a fee waiver, you may have to provide a reason why. I have not had to submit a application fee yet for any of my apps (I am very resourceful). 

GPA: I transferred twice so my cumulative is around 3.20 for all three schools but at my current schools it is a 3.4, my major GPA is a 3.85.  

GRE: Did not take

SOP: Pretty Strong

LOR: the two standard of advanced standing (From advisor and field instructor), then my professor who has a PHd and my community service coordinator.  

Experience: Internships at a Residential facility, over 2000 hours of community service.

I am not sure what else to put. lol 

11 hours ago, TooExcited&Nervous said:

Once you finish your Columbia app, NYU will be a breeze. They ask pretty much the same questions. The longest part for me was writing my case example. I gave everyone a deadline to have my letters in. Worked perfectly. Also, do not be afraid to ask for a fee waiver, you may have to provide a reason why. I have not had to submit a application fee yet for any of my apps (I am very resourceful). 

GPA: I transferred twice so my cumulative is around 3.20 for all three schools but at my current schools it is a 3.4, my major GPA is a 3.85.  

GRE: Did not take

SOP: Pretty Strong

LOR: the two standard of advanced standing (From advisor and field instructor), then my professor who has a PHd and my community service coordinator.  

Experience: Internships at a Residential facility, over 2000 hours of community service.

I am not sure what else to put. lol 

Sounds like a pretty strong application! That is good to know about the fee waiver. I wouldn't have thought to do that. 

I have one of my letters in and am still waiting on two. I believe I gave them a deadline a few days prior to the December 1st Columbia deadline just to play it safe. As far as the NYU application goes, I think 3b on the Columbia admissions essay and the case example required by NYU are pretty similar. It'll probably take me some time to rework the essay I wrote for Columbia to cater to the NYU questions. It's nice that the questions are mostly the same. I just need to cut and add a little content. 

As far as my stats go: 

I have 3.75 cumulative GPA. Not exactly sure what my major GPA is but I think its about the same. I spent a lot of time on my SOP and have had it revised multiple times. Feeling good about that. Letters of Reference are coming from my field advisor, field instructor, and my current boss (Clinical inpatient behavioral health manager). I graduated in 2016 but was fortunate to get some experience dating back to 2014. I have 2.5 years experience as an outreach worker and case manager at a nonprofit servicing individuals experiencing homelessness and severe mental illness. I currently work as a behavioral health tech on the inpatient adult psychiatric unit at the regional hospital in my town. I have a few committees and community projects I worked on as well during my nonprofit days. 

What is your school of choice? 

19 minutes ago, JonoDuncan said:

Sounds like a pretty strong application! That is good to know about the fee waiver. I wouldn't have thought to do that. 

I have one of my letters in and am still waiting on two. I believe I gave them a deadline a few days prior to the December 1st Columbia deadline just to play it safe. As far as the NYU application goes, I think 3b on the Columbia admissions essay and the case example required by NYU are pretty similar. It'll probably take me some time to rework the essay I wrote for Columbia to cater to the NYU questions. It's nice that the questions are mostly the same. I just need to cut and add a little content. 

As far as my stats go: 

I have 3.75 cumulative GPA. Not exactly sure what my major GPA is but I think its about the same. I spent a lot of time on my SOP and have had it revised multiple times. Feeling good about that. Letters of Reference are coming from my field advisor, field instructor, and my current boss (Clinical inpatient behavioral health manager). I graduated in 2016 but was fortunate to get some experience dating back to 2014. I have 2.5 years experience as an outreach worker and case manager at a nonprofit servicing individuals experiencing homelessness and severe mental illness. I currently work as a behavioral health tech on the inpatient adult psychiatric unit at the regional hospital in my town. I have a few committees and community projects I worked on as well during my nonprofit days. 

You sound like a strong applicant! I figured if I finished my applications early enough I could get a response early. lol My top choice is Pitt, they said I should be hearing within the next week. However, I am keeping my options open to whoever may give me the most money. Some of them go by GPA, which mine isn't the highest but I have a lot of experience. And as far as applications, most of them I just swapped out the school name and tweaked a few things. However, I started working on those in the summer time because I figured I would have a super busy semester. 

I hate waiting, I thought waiting for my transfer application was bad...

Stats: GPA 4.0 last 90 units, 3.65 cumulative Psychology BA in progress

Experience: several internships in SW field and volunteer work, currently working as a certified addiction counselor. Total is like 1.5 years worth of experience.

LORs 2 supervisors from internships, one dept chair/prof from AOD program

When is the earliest we might know anything?

5 hours ago, TooExcited&Nervous said:

You sound like a strong applicant! I figured if I finished my applications early enough I could get a response early. lol My top choice is Pitt, they said I should be hearing within the next week. However, I am keeping my options open to whoever may give me the most money. Some of them go by GPA, which mine isn't the highest but I have a lot of experience. And as far as applications, most of them I just swapped out the school name and tweaked a few things. However, I started working on those in the summer time because I figured I would have a super busy semester. 

I am really hoping to go to Columbia. I have an interest in macro/policy/community development work and Columbia really caters to that. I love the way you can customize your experience there. I was born and raised in Arizona and am hoping to move to NYC so I'm really only applying to Columbia and NYU at the moment. I feel pretty good about my changes getting into at least one of those. If that falls through, I'll apply to Fordham and Hunter College in the Spring as they have later deadlines. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, ariannabatts said:

Hi Folks! 

I graduated with my BSW in 2016, and ive been working in the field for just over a year now. I'm applying for A.S to Columbia, Penn, Hunter College, Smith, and BU. Anyone else??? Columbia is due a week from today, and I'm über behind lol 

Columbia is my #1! I’m only applying to NYC schools though. Still waiting on my last letter of rec to submit and I’m getting anxious cause the deadline is coming up!

Hello!! I am in the process of applying to grad schools for an MSW. I am applying to:

• University at Michigan-Ann Arbor (Early Application)
  • New York University
  • Fordham University (Lincoln Center)
  • CUNY Hunter
  • University at Buffalo
  • University at Albany
  • Syracuse University.

I have sent in Michigan and NYU already due to receiving fee waivers.

I am still waiting on one reference to send in her references (the other two sent theirs on the same day I asked for them, over a month ago).

I have a 3.0ish GPA but have two semesters left to increase that (hopefully).

My major was not Social Work, due to my college not having it. I had received a full scholarship to RIT and decided not to switch major but to create a degree in an individualized program school.

My degree is a Bachelor of Science, in Applied Arts and Sciences, with concentrations in Social Work and Medical Science. I have a minor in Psychology and one in Communication. I also have done a paid internship at a child care center. 

I am from New York state, but my top choice is University at Michigan.

1 hour ago, breannmarie said:

Hello!! I am in the process of applying to grad schools for an MSW. I am applying to:

• University at Michigan-Ann Arbor (Early Application)
  • New York University
  • Fordham University (Lincoln Center)
  • CUNY Hunter
  • University at Buffalo
  • University at Albany
  • Syracuse University.

I have sent in Michigan and NYU already due to receiving fee waivers.

I am still waiting on one reference to send in her references (the other two sent theirs on the same day I asked for them, over a month ago).

I have a 3.0ish GPA but have two semesters left to increase that (hopefully).

My major was not Social Work, due to my college not having it. I had received a full scholarship to RIT and decided not to switch major but to create a degree in an individualized program school.

My degree is a Bachelor of Science, in Applied Arts and Sciences, with concentrations in Social Work and Medical Science. I have a minor in Psychology and one in Communication. I also have done a paid internship at a child care center. 

I am from New York state, but my top choice is University at Michigan.

You seem like a good fit for University of Michigan. My GPA for the last two semesters of college were horrible. I wrote an additional statement explaining the reasons I received low GPAs during that time. Earned admission and a generous scholarship to UMich. 

Good luck!

5 hours ago, green_dots21 said:

You seem like a good fit for University of Michigan. My GPA for the last two semesters of college were horrible. I wrote an additional statement explaining the reasons I received low GPAs during that time. Earned admission and a generous scholarship to UMich. 

Good luck!

Thank you so much!

On 11/9/2017 at 3:47 PM, TooExcited&Nervous said:

I just got my acceptance letter to NYU Advanced Standing! With a $15,000 scholarship!

Did you get an email from NYU when your application was complete or under review? I submitted my app on 11/21 and my last reference letter was added to my application on 11/27. I haven't heard anything yet about my application being complete. 

50 minutes ago, JonoDuncan said:

Did you get an email from NYU when your application was complete or under review? I submitted my app on 11/21 and my last reference letter was added to my application on 11/27. I haven't heard anything yet about my application being complete. 

I want to say I got an email the same day or the next day saying my application is complete. I would email them to double check! I had a few issues with my portal, so I was in communication with them about that. 

18 hours ago, TooExcited&Nervous said:

I want to say I got an email the same day or the next day saying my application is complete. I would email them to double check! I had a few issues with my portal, so I was in communication with them about that. 

Great, thanks for the feedback. I hope it all gets processed soon and I hear something! 

Did you officially accept your offer to Pitt? 

11 hours ago, JonoDuncan said:

Great, thanks for the feedback. I hope it all gets processed soon and I hear something! 

Did you officially accept your offer to Pitt? 

I have until March to accept the offer. I am going to wait until I see what they give me for funding. Plus I applied to other schools, so I want to see if I get in and what they will offer as well.