Fall 2018 Application

11 hours ago, Aiunt said:

Thank You! 

Did you apply for the two-year full time? It took about two months for them to get back to me so hopefully, you'll find out by Feb. 

I applied for the 16-month program. I'm wondering if there is a surge in applications, given the current political/social climate, i.e., if the renewed activism on those fronts will also lead to more applications for MSW programs. I hope that I hear within two months :)

On 11/6/2017 at 11:08 PM, RK1 said:

Joining this thread :)

I just submitted my final application for Fall 2018 MSW programs! (and now the waiting game begins)... I applied to CSULB, CSUF, and USC's online program.

If you don't mind me asking, what we're your stats that you applied with ?

On 12/10/2017 at 12:45 AM, BackNSchool83 said:

Another issue I'm having and I'm hoping another UCLA applicant can chime in is with their application. I applied on the 2nd of October and all my LORs had been sent by the like 10th of October, then in mid November UCLA grad admissions says they are switching to a new application system.... Yeah mid application season. I log on to the new application just to see if my files are there and it's giving me the opportunity to request LORs! I have no idea what is gong on but I doubt my recommenders kept the LORs they wrote, and if UCLA lost them it would really be awful. I hope to hear from them Monday I also emailed the department but I swear each time in the past I've called over some problem with the app, the grad division says call the department of SW, and the department of SW says to call the grad division. I just don't have room stress wise to deal with the idea my app could be missing stuff because of their incompetence... if that's what's up. Rant done.

This is exactly what I was feeling almost two weeks ago! I'm sorry that happened to you... 

I'm applying for UCLA Luskin School as well. I started my application sometime in October with all my basic information in place, thats it. All I lost during the switch the basic information and recommender contacts I could easily input over again. I was, however, given the option to import my letter of recommendations from my professors after we received that email that the new system was in place. I already had my rant, but I'm hoping that hasn't affected you meeting the Dec. 15th deadline.   

UCLA is my first choice school! Excited to hear from them, not as thrilled for the waiting aspect of the application process.

Hi everyone! Congrats to everyone who's already heard back!! I'm hoping to hear from Michigan soon, since decisions seem to be coming out!

I got into OSU (My current undergrad) and I just interviewed with UPenn!

Best of luck everyone!

On 12/15/2017 at 7:51 AM, Lalaa said:

If you don't mind me asking, what we're your stats that you applied with ?

Sure! I applied with a 3.95 GPA and experience in 5 social work-related internships

On December 12, 2017 at 5:46 PM, TooExcited&Nervous said:

That's really odd! I submitted my application before they switch everything over, so they just gave me the new log-in but they have all of my documents. I am sorry that happened to you!

On December 16, 2017 at 12:42 AM, AliciaG said:

This is exactly what I was feeling almost two weeks ago! I'm sorry that happened to you... 

I'm applying for UCLA Luskin School as well. I started my application sometime in October with all my basic information in place, thats it. All I lost during the switch the basic information and recommender contacts I could easily input over again. I was, however, given the option to import my letter of recommendations from my professors after we received that email that the new system was in place. I already had my rant, but I'm hoping that hasn't affected you meeting the Dec. 15th deadline.   

UCLA is my first choice school! Excited to hear from them, not as thrilled for the waiting aspect of the application process.

Yeah, I got it done, recommenders resubmitted etc Dec 12th. That's how close it was, they lost ALL my data and Oct 2nd was my original submission date. Highly uncool, but hopefully it works out for the both of us!

I saw someone asking about stats, so first, to be clear they say most people over a 3.5 get into CSU programs, I mean the entry level gpa is often low like 2.75, many successful applicants have lower gpas. I know a UCLA guy who applied with a 2.8.

i had a 4.0 at the time, degree in progress, we'll see how my final exams went. 

Mostly what makes a difference is experience, in my case about a year of working in addiction treatment with internships related to social work.

i believe a 3.0 to 3.5 with a year of experience or some solid internships and good LORs plus good sops would work for most schools.

im happy about long beach, I may go there in the end, tough call.

Hi! 

I’ve applied to UIC, UChicago, Hunter, NYU, Columbia, UWashington, UPenn, UVM & Simmons.

So far I’ve heard from NYU & UPenn. I have to get back to both of them by mid January but I’m still waiting on all those other ones. Does anyone know about release dates for any of these other schools? I submitted all of my applications the last week of November. 

7 hours ago, meanbean said:

Hi! 

I’ve applied to UIC, UChicago, Hunter, NYU, Columbia, UWashington, UPenn, UVM & Simmons.

So far I’ve heard from NYU & UPenn. I have to get back to both of them by mid January but I’m still waiting on all those other ones. Does anyone know about release dates for any of these other schools? I submitted all of my applications the last week of November. 

UIC is kind of notoriously slow with their response and I've heard that they can get back to you as late as the end of April. UChicago sent me an email indicating that they would send out decisions the first week of February for people who submitted their apps early.  

Does anyone know how long to hear back from Columbia if we hit their priority deadline 12/1? They are my top choice and I'm trying to coordinate (save money lol) on application fees for applying to other schools if need be.

I've applied to their online program so I'm hoping that helps too! Does anyone know the chances there as of 2017?

15 hours ago, lanabeni said:

Does anyone know how long to hear back from Columbia if we hit their priority deadline 12/1? They are my top choice and I'm trying to coordinate (save money lol) on application fees for applying to other schools if need be.

I've applied to their online program so I'm hoping that helps too! Does anyone know the chances there as of 2017?

The admissions office says they will start sending out decisions around February 1st. Last year they came early - beginning around mid-January! 

Hey everyone. I've been lurking on this site since I found out that I could graduate in August of 2018 and start graduate school in September. I'm applying for my MSW with a concentration in Children, Youth, and Families and a subfocus in Child Welfare. I'm also applying for the Title IV-E program at both schools that I'm applying to.

I'm applying locally (I'm from Wisconsin) to UW-Madison and UW-Milwaukee. UW-Madison is my first choice and I'm extremely nervous. Can anyone comment and tell me what you think of my stats?

Major - Social Work

CUM GPA: 3.691 - Major GPA - 4.0 
Experience: Intern at United Way for two summers, Vice President of Phi Alpha Social Work Honor Society, Leader at a first-year transition program for underrepresented students on my campus, former Resident Assistant (for two years), shadowing a Family Case Manager at our children's hospital in WI
Volunteer Experience: TONS of volunteer experience (with United Way and on-campus)

I have strong writing and verbal skills and I am really hoping to get into the Title IV-E program. Anyone have any advice or feedback?

Thanks and I'm really looking forward to hearing everyone's results!!

Edited by WIGilly

6 hours ago, JonoDuncan said:

Oh bummer! Have you heard back on any of your other applications?

I haven't! I have only officially applied to one other school, CUNY Hunter, but they have not sent anything. One of my recommenders is slacking quite a bit (two months for a couple recommendations??).

17 hours ago, breannmarie said:

I haven't! I have only officially applied to one other school, CUNY Hunter, but they have not sent anything. One of my recommenders is slacking quite a bit (two months for a couple recommendations??).

Nice. I've heard Hunter does things pretty late - like interviews in April/May. It actually deterred me from applying as my top choice is Columbia. I anticipate hearing back from them in February and figure I have a better shot with them anyway! Good luck with the rest of your applications! I definitely had to hound my recommenders to get the materials in. NYU responded very quickly to my application. I was accepted the same week that I got an email confirming all my materials were in. 

Jax you are rad on a very high level, thank you so much for this helpful reply. Actually I checked my status for CSULB today and it said I was offered provisional admission, but I never got an email and efforts to log in and verify the admission all failed to work... So I have no idea if it's a glitch or real.

another issue I'm having and I'm hoping another UCLA applicant can chime in is with their application. I applied on the 2nd of October and all my LORs had been sent by the like 10th of October, then in mid November UCLA grad admissions says they are switching to a new application system.... Yeah mid application season. I log on to the new application just to see if my files are there and it's giving me the opportunity to request LORs! I have no idea what is gong on but I doubt my recommenders kept the LORs they wrote, and if UCLA lost them it would really be awful. I hope to hear from them Monday I also emailed the department but I swear each time in the past I've called over some problem with the app, the grad division says call the department of SW, and the department of SW says to call the grad division. I just don't have room stress wise to deal with the idea my app could be missing stuff because of their incompetence... if that's what's up. Rant done.

Congrats on that update from CSULB! May I ask when you submitted your application? I also applied for Fall 2018

10 hours ago, JonoDuncan said:

Nice. I've heard Hunter does things pretty late - like interviews in April/May. It actually deterred me from applying as my top choice is Columbia. I anticipate hearing back from them in February and figure I have a better shot with them anyway! Good luck with the rest of your applications! I definitely had to hound my recommenders to get the materials in. NYU responded very quickly to my application. I was accepted the same week that I got an email confirming all my materials were in. 

I didn't decide to apply to Columbia due to my GPA/grades and how much I heard they cost. My last recommender is slacking and has not sent in the NYU recommendation which is the last material I need. I am hoping they respond shortly after. I did not like NYU's Social Work building from what I have heard and seen online of it, but that's just a +/- factor. I had also heard they are pretty pricey, even though I got a fee waiver for the application, almost immediately. What was the financial aid package like that you got from NYU? I heard CUNY Hunter takes quite a while to respond, but some people said they didn't take long at all, so that's a factor.

You guys will understand. I told my grandparents (they raised me like their own child) that I was waitlisted for my top choice, and they said congratulations and others also said similar. I felt like I got shot when I was waitlisted. I won't get scholarships due to being the last pick, and won't know possibly for months. Do you guys think I am overreacting? I feel defeated. 

6 hours ago, breannmarie said:

You guys will understand. I told my grandparents (they raised me like their own child) that I was waitlisted for my top choice, and they said congratulations and others also said similar. I felt like I got shot when I was waitlisted. I won't get scholarships due to being the last pick, and won't know possibly for months. Do you guys think I am overreacting? I feel defeated. 

There is still a chance that you will be accepted later on! If you're still in school then this last semester work your butt off and maybe get involved in some new volunteer work too? Your feelings are your own and I think I would feel similar if I was in your situation so I personally don't think you're overreacting. 

On 12/29/2017 at 10:02 PM, Aiunt said:

There is still a chance that you will be accepted later on! If you're still in school then this last semester work your butt off and maybe get involved in some new volunteer work too? Your feelings are your own and I think I would feel similar if I was in your situation so I personally don't think you're overreacting. 

Thank you so much. I've been thinking about it, and I think being waitlisted for the top Social Work program in the US is a pretty good start.

"Actually I checked my status for CSULB today and it said I was offered provisional admission, but I never got an email and efforts to log in and verify the admission all failed to work... So I have no idea if it's a glitch or real."

Hi BackNSchool83,

First off, congrats on your acceptance to CSULB! I also applied to CSULB's MSW program and was wondering where you went to check your admission status? Is there a link you might be able to provide? I actually called the School of Social Work office today because I never received an email confirming that they received my application (which I submitted in November). They confirmed they do have my application and said they sent me an email Nov 9th, but I never received it (checked spam and everything). It would be helpful to have a site to check into in case their emails aren't reaching me!

Thanks in advance