Fall 2018 Application

12 hours ago, Quinoa96 said:

Do you think the $17,000 is a good offer? My biggest concern was not being able to support myself since NY is so expensive. Congrats to you as well!!

$17,000 is the highest offer I've seen here thus far. I saw a lot of $11,000-$12,000 offers. So I was surprised when I saw that in my acceptance letter! 

Hello all! I'm a long time lurker and heard back from all my schools quite early, so hopefully by sharing my journey it'll help some people with the waiting game!

I applied quite early at the end of October and heard back from my last school on January 19th. I mostly applied for MSW programs and here's the list:

UChicago: Accepted with Dean's Distinguished Leadership Award + tuition scholarship (~$36,000/year)
WashU: Accepted with Dean's Scholarship in Social Work ($50,000 for the entire program)
UPenn: Accepted with a scholarship of $15,000 for the entire program.
Cambridge (MPhil in Health, Medicine, and Society): Accepted with no funding. 

My stats are CGPA: 3.01, GRE: 163Q 162V, but only submitted to Cambridge. My GPA took a tank during undergrad because I had to work to support my family, but given that, I had some pretty great work experiences and went to management positions during undergrad, so that definitely helped out with my application. By the time I enter my graduate program this Fall 2018, I'll have 4 years of work experience (3 years during undergraduate and 1 of postgraduate), ranging from university research positions to international development initiatives. 

As of the moment, I'm leaning more towards UChicago, but WashU is much more affordable with lower fees and more funding opportunities throughout the two years. I won't be able to visit before deciding, so if anyone has any inputs on either program I'd definitely appreciate it!

Hi all-for you admitted Uchicago folks, congratulations!!! Would you mind sharing when you applied? I submitted my app on 11/10 (but had a recommender linger and ended up not being complete until 12/4). It's probably my anxiety getting the best of me combined with being super slow at work today, but I am so eager to hear back and wondering if it's just because mine was sort of "late." thanks again! 

1 hour ago, jcm15850 said:

Hi all-for you admitted Uchicago folks, congratulations!!! Would you mind sharing when you applied? I submitted my app on 11/10 (but had a recommender linger and ended up not being complete until 12/4). It's probably my anxiety getting the best of me combined with being super slow at work today, but I am so eager to hear back and wondering if it's just because mine was sort of "late." thanks again! 

Hello! I submitted my app on 12/1 and my last LOR was in on 12/8. I was emailed by the admissions department informing me that they extended the date for early application to 12/8. They said that generally they send out early decisions by the second week of Feb. so you still have plenty of time to hear back!!

14 hours ago, BackNSchool83 said:

Kat hello and welcome to our anxious group... I applied to UCLA so I'll be active on here with info as I hear it on and I hope to hear what happens with your other Cali schools. Is Cal your top choice or what's your first pick given you got in all of them? The thread for UCLA last year had the first person hearing back mid February. Also any stats you care to share? I'm graduating with my BA in psych from a local UC, 4.0 when I applied for my upper division units (not cumulative), internships and work experience in addiction treatment. Anyway that's my story, welcome to the group. OH also, did you have any problems with your UCLA application?! They lost all my stuff and I had to resubmit everything.

Hello backnschool!! Thanks for your response! I’m a CA native so I’m looking to branch out. CA universities are great though so I had to apply. I would like to move to New York! So staying here is not my first choice but I’ll have a hard time picking forsure. I’m glad your crossing over to the SW turf!!! I’m a BSW right now. 3.6 cumulative, I have experience with Policy, international, and education too. My population is kids. I love kids. But I’m trying to move to adolescents/young adults. My app for UCLA was fine. I’m so sorry to hear about your experience. That’s terrible :( but it’s fine because you’ll receive that acceptance soon!!!!

1 hour ago, breannmarie said:

To all of you who heard back from NYU and got the roughly 17,000 in scholarships, did you use parents income on FAFSA?

I actually received that amount without completing my FAFSA. I need to finish it and turn that in lol. 

13 hours ago, gksrnrdbgkrtod said:

Hi! Has anyone had an interview with Upenn??

I am having an interview in two weeks and don't know how I should prepare. What do they ask usually? 

It would be happy to get some tips from those who had an interview before. I am an international student so it's hard for me to get some information :(

Hi!

I had my interview with Upenn mid-December and got accepted within the week! I was super nervous about it, but the interviewer (Mary Mazzola) was really relaxed and friendly. She asked me to elaborate on some things I had written in my personal statement, so make sure you review that before hand! She asked about my strengths and weaknesses and about contributing diversity to the Penn community (if I remember correctly). She talked about the program a lot and left time for questions from me.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great!

On 1/4/2018 at 10:04 AM, kath18 said:

Hello!  I figured I’d jump in and be helpful. 

https://cmsweb.cms.csulb.edu/psc/HLBPRDA/EMPLOYEE/SA/c/LB_HR_CUSTOM.LB_GLC.GBL?Page=LB_GLC_START&Action=U&TargetFrameName=None

Did they give you any other information whether they’ve gotten to reviewing your app? I’m still waiting too. 

Hi Kath18,

When I called to talk to the office at the School of Social Work, they said it was currently being reviewed by the department...but other than that I haven't received any email correspondence (but like I said above, over the phone they told me an email had been sent) so I'm not sure. Hopefully we hear back soon! Best of luck to you! 

12 hours ago, mkern2 said:

Hi!

I had my interview with Upenn mid-December and got accepted within the week! I was super nervous about it, but the interviewer (Mary Mazzola) was really relaxed and friendly. She asked me to elaborate on some things I had written in my personal statement, so make sure you review that before hand! She asked about my strengths and weaknesses and about contributing diversity to the Penn community (if I remember correctly). She talked about the program a lot and left time for questions from me.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great!

Thank you very much for your information!! ?

On 1/25/2018 at 10:01 AM, JMonster said:

Yes, I am! Really hoping they release word soon!

On 1/25/2018 at 8:02 AM, HannahRae said:

Is anyone else checking the University of Denver portal obsessively or just me? 

I just really really want to know! 

I am also waiting!!! :)) When did you two apply??

On 1/27/2018 at 7:34 PM, JMonster said:

Hang in there, gal! :-) My application was complete and sub'd on 1/5. How about you?

Thank you!! You too, haha. I didn't get it in until the day of the deadline. :/ 1/15.

On 30/1/2018 at 1:06 PM, lost686girl said:

I was notified via email this morning that i accepted to Washington University in St. Louis, with a $20,000 scholarship. I am so new to financial aid, i need to education myself, but i'm pleased i received any money at all!

I have just been accepted to Washington University in St. Louis, but I still have to understand if the scholarship they offered me will be the total amount or the amount each year... it is very expensive!