Waitlisted...What now??

Septimius

Well, I just received an email from the graduate director at UNC-CH to notify me that I am on their wait-list. Now I understand that pretty much all you can do is, well, wait.... But, a few questions regarding this...

1. Typically are most wait-listed apps eventually accepted? Anyone have any ball-park percentages?

2. Should I contact the school directly to find out 'where' on the list I am?

3. Am I waiting behind all History apps that are accepted and pending response, or only for my field (Ancient)?

4. How should one feel about being wait-listed? I mean, you're wanted, but not enough to be their first choice... I feel generally happy, but also a little numb since there's still uncertainty. Speaking of this, if I eventually get accepted, will being a former wait-list in any way effect how I am perceived by the dept? (do schools view you as the second, or even the third best applicant? And therefore are not as excited to meet/work with you?

UNC is by far my first choice, and want to do whatever I can to help my chances in the state that it is in right now. Any advice, recommendations or personal experience is very welcome. Thanks.

Well, I just received an email from the graduate director at UNC-CH to notify me that I am on their wait-list. Now I understand that pretty much all you can do is, well, wait.... But, a few questions regarding this...

1. Typically are most wait-listed apps eventually accepted? Anyone have any ball-park percentages?

3. Am I waiting behind all History apps that are accepted and pending response, or only for my field (Ancient)?

4. How should one feel about being wait-listed? I mean, you're wanted, but not enough to be their first choice... I feel generally happy, but also a little numb since there's still uncertainty. Speaking of this, if I eventually get accepted, will being a former wait-list in any way effect how I am perceived by the dept? (do schools view you as the second, or even the third best applicant? And therefore are not as excited to meet/work with you?

UNC is by far my first choice, and want to do whatever I can to help my chances in the state that it is in right now. Any advice, recommendations or personal experience is very welcome. Thanks.

Congratulations on making it to the waitlist, even if it feels like purgatory!

I think for questions 1-3, only UNCCH can answer your question, or someone else who's been on the UNCCH wait list.

I've read elsewhere that it might help your chances a little, if you told them that they are your top choice, and if you are accepted, you'll definitely go.

Once you are in, however, nobody is going to care about whether you were on the waitlist.

Just to humor you, ask someone to bribe an accepttee to reject their UNC offer with $$$ :)

Don't be afraid to ask UNC these questions! Go ahead and ask.

I've been accepted off of a waitlist, and while I don't know where my spot was, I will tell you that after I received the e-mail, I immediately

1) Responded to the e-mail with an enthusiastic "yes, please keep me on the waitlist, this is my first choice, I will notify you if I receive any better offers"

2) Wrote the same thing to my POC / PA, stressed my enthusiasm for the program/department.

I was admitted from the waitlist, and the department told me it would match all other financial offers. Obviously, I was not there first choice candidate, or perhaps not their priority...but I eventually made the cut and the department returned my patience with a solid financial package. Stay enthusiastic, stay in touch, and best of luck!

I know how you feel, Septimius. I'm waitlisted at Brandeis right now.

As stated above, only the university and those attending can give you a real good idea of the figures.

If the email you received extended an offer to answer any questions about the program, feel free to email to see if you can get an idea of how large the list is; the university should let you know, because they know that such information can play a role in your decision of where to attend- the shorter the list, the more likely you are to weigh your option to continue to wait. Generally, I wouldn't contact to ask what number you are, because they won't tell you. You can gauge their general feel for you based on how personal your email was. Here are some clues:

1. Did they talk about anything related to your application specifically, such as your statement of intent?

2. Is your email cc'd to other faculty members? Are those faculty members potential advisors?

3. Did any other faculty (potential advisors) send you an email after the first email? What did they say?

4. How "personal" is the email? Does it seem really form-like? Are there personal touches, like ellipses and minor typos?

5. Did they offer to talk with you more about their program?

These are usually signs that you're sitting either near the top of a large waitlist, or are in a very small waitlist, because professors are not going to kill their time sending personal emails to more than four applicants.

I'm not absolutely sure about this, but you are probably competing with fellow ancient historians. It has more to do with how many new students each professor can mentor.

Well I just got off the phone with UNC, and this is what I found out:

They received 417 applications for the PhD in History this year. A record number.

They offered acceptances to "far less applicants" than even last year. (Last year which was a horrible year to be a prospective PhD applicant anywhere)

Your position on the wait-list is confidential, and they are not able to let you know where you fall on the list.

The wait-list is a general pool, not sub-divided by field. So whenever anyone that was presented an offer denies it, they make a subsequent offer to the top applicant on the wait-list. If they deny it, then they offer it to the next on the list. And so on...

The wait-list is "fairly small" and the "total amount of both accepted students and wait-listed combined is 30."

This is going to be a long, awful wait.... Hopefully a lot of those that were accepted will go elsewhere, and that those above me on the list will as well.

If it makes you feel any better, I know a guy who got into UNC who will probably be turning his offer down, as he also got into Yale. He does 19th century American, but it looks like that's irrelevant to your position. Good luck!