Working in grad school?

Does anyone have any insight into what it is like to work during graduate school? Throughout undergrad, I have worked sometimes up to 35 hours per week while taking full time courses and I have managed. However, I know that grad school is obviously more intense and working 35 hours a week would be insane. My issue is that I have bills (car, phone, insurance) and can't afford not to work. I'm trying to ask around to see if anyone things there is a cap at the amount of hours grad students should work? I feel like this has been touched on lightly but not really. 

Any thoughts? 

I worked full time while completing my undergrad, for the entire masters and am still doing while starting the PhD (all academic work is part time).

I will also state that I am only able to do this because I am a full time employee of the university, and my administrative department is VERY flexible on me taking time out here and there in order to do this. I would not recommend doing it if you had any significant commute between home/work/school, or your employer is not flexible. I would even consider doing both work & school full time, at least not for grad school.

It's not impossible but not easy. Recommendations are usually ten hours weekly. Don't expect school to work around your job. There's not much control for when clients are scheduled which is mostly day time. Plus look into when classes are. Sometimes I had a mix of morning and night. Time management is more than half the battle of grad school and you've got to be able to study, do homework assignments, plus plan weekly sessions which takes awhile when it's new. 

I worked 20-30 hours in undergrad, but I am finding it very difficult just to balance an online TA position (mostly just grading) with course work. In total, I am doing school work and working around 65 hours a week. I was told to spend 10 hours a week grading, but I do it really quickly and spend ~6 hours because I just don't have time. 

HI Chloslp!

My grad program has 7 classes the first semester. Right now I have 2 somewhat flexible jobs that I work 30 hours a week. That time is totally devoted to work so I don't have time to study or do assignments then. And I'm actually doing pretty well in class.

I'd suggest finding something that is not super involved. There's a girl in my program that works 30 hours a week at a development rec center. So she basically has 30 hours to study and do hw. I think that would be the ideal. As mentioned, it's definitely possible!

I work on campus in the office as part of federal work study. I work 14hrs a week and so far its just enough! Keep in mind I also worked during undergrad, except 22-24hrs a week. This keeps me focused and less likely to goof off and time manage what I need to get done. I don't make  much but enough to pay for utilities, groceries and save money for rent. 

My first year I worked about 32 hours a week with no problem. Since I'm in my second year now and have a practicum Monday through Thursday and class on Friday, I only work about 16 hours on the weekends.