Personal Statement

I did an introduction about me and background education wise. Then I talked about why I wanted to become an SLP and discussed what I liked about the school I was applying to and in the future what I wanted to accomplish. Make sure to tailor each letter to the school to make it feel more personalized. 

I started with why I decided on this field, then went into more detail about my experiences (volunteering, research, and observing) and how those will help make me a good clinician, and then I talked about why I want to go to that specific school!

I've read a lot of accepted students personal statements, and they were all so different! I don't think it really matters how you organize it as long as it flows!

I started with a short insight into my life growing up in another country with autistic brothers, then went straight into how desperate the field is for bilingual therapists and that my clinical pursuit can easen the necessity for Spanish-speaking therapists. Then I explained how double vulnerable autistic immigrants are, and how I would like to give them autonomy. Then I wanted to return to my alma mater, then I mentioned a professor I wanted to worked with and mentioned his research, and how it intersected with my interests. Then I listed my experience as an SLPA and how I wanted to develop my clinical experience.

I'd be happy to send you mine for reference

7 hours ago, Emily V. said:

Thank you everyone for the helpful information. Would anyone be willing to send me a copy of their personal statement as a reference? 

I got you dude

On 11/14/2017 at 5:29 PM, NatRose said:

I started with a short insight into my life growing up in another country with autistic brothers, then went straight into how desperate the field is for bilingual therapists and that my clinical pursuit can easen the necessity for Spanish-speaking therapists. Then I explained how double vulnerable autistic immigrants are, and how I would like to give them autonomy. Then I wanted to return to my alma mater, then I mentioned a professor I wanted to worked with and mentioned his research, and how it intersected with my interests. Then I listed my experience as an SLPA and how I wanted to develop my clinical experience.

I'd be happy to send you mine for reference

That would be awesome, thank you!

On November 18, 2017 at 10:26 PM, NatRose said:

I got you dude

Hello, I noticed that you mentioned writing about being bilingual in your essay. I would also like to highlight my second language skill, would you perhaps send me your's so I can get an idea on if I did it correctly? I would very much appreciate it! Thank you!