Michigan Grad Schools

Hi everyone!

I'm in the process of applying to grad schools but haven't been able to visit some of them yet and have only been looking at their information online so any opinions/insight on the location, program or experience with applying would be appreciated!

I'm looking at schools in Michigan as well as some out of state that offer discounted tuition to Michigan residents.

Grand Valley, Western, Central Michigan, Wayne State, Eastern Michigan, Ball State, Toledo, Bowling  Green

Thanks 

I received my bachelors from Bowling Green so that's the school I know the most about! It's a beautiful campus! :) I loved the division one small town vibe. I also had a couple of great professors that were great and knowledgeable in their field. They were in the process of rebuilding the health center that housed the speech clinic when I left so I bet it is beautiful now.        

Grand Valley State I applied to as well! They split their rounds of looking at applicants into two tiers. 1st tier obviously is interviewed and looked at first. I was placed in the 2nd tier and was told I "may" have a chance to be interviewed but they couldn't guarantee it. They were one of the schools that was in the candidate stage. This means that the first five years of their program they are monitored by ASHA because they are a new program to make sure they are doing everything they are supposed to be doing. I wouldn't worry about this as you will still get a good education and degree. 

Hope that helps! I applied to Wayne State as well but don't have much to say about it as I don't have much experience with that school.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey!

I was accepted into Eastern Michigan's SLP program beginning in January (I applied for their winter semester.) I haven't started the program yet, but I've talked to a lot of students in the program and they enjoy it. What I like about the program is that you get two internships (one adult, one child) instead of the typical one internship where you have to choose between the two populations. 

I'm also currently taking classes at Wayne State and I can say that they have a great program. (If you're fine with being in Detroit!) I think the students there get a little more experience before their internships, as far as having a larger number of clients, than EMU. However, they only have one internship before graduation. 

I've also heard Western is great. Don't know anything else besides that though!

Hope this helped a little!

Edited by speechpeach04

MSU has a great program. They do not have an on campus clinic so they may be a deal breaker for you (it's a selling point for me). I visited and their staff seems soooo nice. However, I think it is the most competitive program in Michigan. They do not have a high acceptance according to EdFind and in comparison with other Michigan schools.

I heard (not sure if this is true) that Central is more focused on pediatric SLP and school SLP. 

I've heard Western has an amazing program from an SLP who graduated from there. (Don't have many other details... but I think they're one of the highest ranked).

Wayne State has a strong program however their clinic is in a really old/gross outdated building (in my opinion). Also, you need to be very careful in Detroit. If you move to go to WSU i recommend moving to a nearby suburb and commuting. However all the people in WSU's cohort that I've spoken to have only great things to say.

Thank you for sharing! Also just my opinion but I go to Wayne State currently and I agree the building is a little old but it works hah and Detroit is an awesome place to live despite its old reputation of being dangerous, I've been living in midtown for 4 years and I've never been in a situation where I don't feel safe! There's been a lot of changes around midtown and downtown in the past few years and its a lot of fun to be in the center of all of it:)

• 2 months later...
On 11/7/2017 at 4:06 PM, bruuuun said:

Hi everyone!

I'm in the process of applying to grad schools but haven't been able to visit some of them yet and have only been looking at their information online so any opinions/insight on the location, program or experience with applying would be appreciated!

I'm looking at schools in Michigan as well as some out of state that offer discounted tuition to Michigan residents.

Grand Valley, Western, Central Michigan, Wayne State, Eastern Michigan, Ball State, Toledo, Bowling  Green

Thanks 

Ball State just ended their automatic admittance program for their own undergraduate students, so your chances might be better this year, but they usually only accept people who went their for undergrad.