Turned in my applications- now how do I deal with anxiety?

amyjw

Hi all, I'm a little neurotic/anxious so I just submitted all of my applications (after working on them since they opened in August, again, anxiety). I'm wondering if any of you have advice on how to deal with the wait? February/March seems so far away and I know I should just relax and focus on finishing this semester strong, but I have this constant nagging feeling that "oh, you should be working on your apps" or "oh, you're not gonna get in anywhere".

This isn't helped by the fact that the personal statement I submitted to Indiana refers to the school as "the Indiana University", which it is not, and I should know better, since that's currently where I'm studying.

I guess I'm just looking for a little reassurance or some strategies to deal with the wait. I applied to 11 schools (is that crazy? I don't know) and as long as I get in somewhere I'll be happy. IU is my top choice but I honestly have no clue if that's gonna happen (3.7 GPA, 321 combined GRE, undergrad research experience).

Also it'd be nice to know if any of y'all applied to the same places I did, so here's my list:

Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, St. Xavier, Rush, Purdue, Nebraska, Texas-Dallas, Wisconsin-Madison, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Iowa

Sorry for the rambling post I'm new here!

Not crazy! I applied to a few of those a few years back (I'm graduated now). I remember the wait when I got them all done and it's not fun. Don't reread anything at this point. It's too late - I noticed a typo my first go around too which drove me nuts. Now just focus on other things. Distract yourself and do not check the results page all the time. If at all. It won't help to compare scores or anything. Focus on work/school and any hobbies or friends. Anything but the applications or email. 

15 hours ago, jpiccolo said:

Not crazy! I applied to a few of those a few years back (I'm graduated now). I remember the wait when I got them all done and it's not fun. Don't reread anything at this point. It's too late - I noticed a typo my first go around too which drove me nuts. Now just focus on other things. Distract yourself and do not check the results page all the time. If at all. It won't help to compare scores or anything. Focus on work/school and any hobbies or friends. Anything but the applications or email. 

Easier said than done! Hahaha I am in the same boat as amyjw and all I feel is panic 24/7! It doesn't help that I've only applied to three schools. March cannot come soon enough! 

Just know you're not alone!! I felt like this last year, and am feeling it now too even though I'm already in a program, because now I'm waiting to see if I got a grant that I applied to. AND I won't know until APRIL!!

You really do have great scores though, so I definitely believe you'll get into several schools. I had very similar stats to yours (actually your GRE may be a little higher) and I got into 4 or 5/6 of the schools I applied to. We didn't apply to any of the same ones though, so I don't know if that helps!

7 hours ago, SLPin2020 said:

Easier said than done! Hahaha I am in the same boat as amyjw and all I feel is panic 24/7! It doesn't help that I've only applied to three schools. March cannot come soon enough! 

Totally get it! What a long time to wait. I had applications due later so my wait was shorter. My only other suggestions is to get off grad-cafe haha. I had two application cycles and it sure helped the second time to not check the site. But I get it easier said than done! Good luck!

I also suffer from anxiety and just recently got accepted into a program --- I just about went insane from the agonizing wait, and I only had to wait a month!  I can't even imagine waiting until Spring! Only advice I can give is to pick up a hobby or take up exercising or a new tv show to binge (I picked up Grey's Anatomy lol).  Best of luck!

• 2 months later...