Calling All SLP's!

Thanks ainos! I'm pretty sure I'm going to Northwestern, but I really just want closure from Columbia...haha :)

No I totally understand where you are coming from. Unfortunately, you may not getclosure any time soon because Columbia has given their students until May 15th to decide. Can I ask how you decided on Northwestern? I am going back n forth between Northwestern and Columbia. I can't make up my mind. I am a career changer so I have no background in speech. Both schools are going to take me equal amounts of time to finish. Also I've lived in NY my whole entire life so that's whats making Columbia more appealing for me. I visited Northwestern and it was located in a great area too. What have you heard about both schools through the grapevine? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

No I totally understand where you are coming from. Unfortunately, you may not getclosure any time soon because Columbia has given their students until May 15th to decide. Can I ask how you decided on Northwestern? I am going back n forth between Northwestern and Columbia. I can't make up my mind. I am a career changer so I have no background in speech. Both schools are going to take me equal amounts of time to finish. Also I've lived in NY my whole entire life so that's whats making Columbia more appealing for me. I visited Northwestern and it was located in a great area too. What have you heard about both schools through the grapevine? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Ainos,

We're on the same boat! I have no background in speech either, so it's going to take me about 3 years to graduate. I decided on Northwestern based on a few factors:

1. Ranking - Northwestern is ranked #2 in the country for SLP. http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-pathology-schools/rankings Columbia is ranked 38.

2. Cost - Northwestern is relatively cheaper than Columbia. I've spoken with a couple of Columbia alums and they said it's really expensive, specially for me, since I have to take prereqs at Columbia too. They suggested taking it at CUNY in Brooklyn to save $. There's a scholarship that we can apply to, but in exchange, we'd have to stay in NYC and work at the public school system for 6 years! I'd love to live in NYC, but not sure if I can do it for 9 years total. I like the Pacific NW... hehe This might work out for you if you already live in NYC.

3. Alums and current students - I've contacted a couple of Columbia alums. They told me that the clinic is not as diverse, BUT, the externships in NYC are invaluable. There's also another post on this thread, I believe, that talked about how poorly run Teacher's college is. Paraphrasing: he/she talked about poorly structured HWs, cost, professors you can't get a hold of etc. Au contraire, I spoke with a current grad student at Northwestern who also did not have a background in speech. She LOVES everything about it. She said that the professors, the program and her classmates are just amazing. She was also really happy about taking the prereqs at NWU because she felt like it made her more prepared for the grad program compared to other students who did not take it there.

4. Location - I REALLY want to live in NYC, but it's just so expensive! I haven't personally visited NWU, but my fiancee had and he said that it's such a great campus. He thinks that Evanston, being a college town, creates a more tight-knit community, than let's say U of Chicago where everyone is scattered around the Chicago area. He also said it's better than U of Washington (where we went for undergrad) and I think that says a lot since we love our campus...hehe

The reasons why I'm still kind of considering Columbia is the location and their international/bilingual programs. I've volunteered internationally and thought it would be nice to do the same thing, but this time, I'd be able to help more as a professional SLP.

Hope that helps! If you decide to go to Northwestern, I'm probably going to see you there!! With both of us not having a bg in speech, we're probably going to be taking all the same classes! How exciting!!

Hi Ainos,

We're on the same boat! I have no background in speech either, so it's going to take me about 3 years to graduate. I decided on Northwestern based on a few factors:

1. Ranking - Northwestern is ranked #2 in the country for SLP. http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-pathology-schools/rankings Columbia is ranked 38.

2. Cost - Northwestern is relatively cheaper than Columbia. I've spoken with a couple of Columbia alums and they said it's really expensive, specially for me, since I have to take prereqs at Columbia too. They suggested taking it at CUNY in Brooklyn to save $. There's a scholarship that we can apply to, but in exchange, we'd have to stay in NYC and work at the public school system for 6 years! I'd love to live in NYC, but not sure if I can do it for 9 years total. I like the Pacific NW... hehe This might work out for you if you already live in NYC.

3. Alums and current students - I've contacted a couple of Columbia alums. They told me that the clinic is not as diverse, BUT, the externships in NYC are invaluable. There's also another post on this thread, I believe, that talked about how poorly run Teacher's college is. Paraphrasing: he/she talked about poorly structured HWs, cost, professors you can't get a hold of etc. Au contraire, I spoke with a current grad student at Northwestern who also did not have a background in speech. She LOVES everything about it. She said that the professors, the program and her classmates are just amazing. She was also really happy about taking the prereqs at NWU because she felt like it made her more prepared for the grad program compared to other students who did not take it there.

4. Location - I REALLY want to live in NYC, but it's just so expensive! I haven't personally visited NWU, but my fiancee had and he said that it's such a great campus. He thinks that Evanston, being a college town, creates a more tight-knit community, than let's say U of Chicago where everyone is scattered around the Chicago area. He also said it's better than U of Washington (where we went for undergrad) and I think that says a lot since we love our campus...hehe

The reasons why I'm still kind of considering Columbia is the location and their international/bilingual programs. I've volunteered internationally and thought it would be nice to do the same thing, but this time, I'd be able to help more as a professional SLP.

Hope that helps! If you decide to go to Northwestern, I'm probably going to see you there!! With both of us not having a bg in speech, we're probably going to be taking all the same classes! How exciting!!

Thank you flower girl your post was very informative. One more question. Who do I need to go to to get some contact info for alumni and current students (specifically in the speech lang prog) at Columbia?

Thank you flower girl your post was very informative. One more question. Who do I need to go to to get some contact info for alumni and current students (specifically in the speech lang prog) at Columbia?

Um...this might sound stalker-ish, but I just searched "Columbia" on Facebook. Randomly contacted some people and they ended up being super nice.

Any California SLPs out there? Which programs are you choosing between? I am deciding between San Francisco State and San Diego State. I visited SDSU two weeks ago and was really disappointed. Surprisingly, the advisers and students were not very kind and informative. The clinic area and the session rooms were not very impressive, as well. San Francisco State had a more appealing atmosphere. The graduate students there also said some great things about the Masters program. I guess SF State is my school! :)

Any thoughts on these schools?

Any California SLPs out there? Which programs are you choosing between? I am deciding between San Francisco State and San Diego State. I visited SDSU two weeks ago and was really disappointed. Surprisingly, the advisers and students were not very kind and informative. The clinic area and the session rooms were not very impressive, as well. San Francisco State had a more appealing atmosphere. The graduate students there also said some great things about the Masters program. I guess SF State is my school! :)

Any thoughts on these schools?

Do tell about SDSU! I want to know all the details of your trip! I won't be able to get the time off to visit before decisions are due, so any opinions/descriptions would be super helpful!! Feel free to PM me but there must be others who are considering SDSU who would benefit from your take on it also.

I know several grads from the SF State program who work in public districts or are in private practice now, and they all loved it.

I'd go with your gut. San Francisco's a much more fun/interesting city than San Diego, in my opinion, but you can't really swim in the water in the Bay unless you're insane, with a thick wetsuit :P

Anyone considering going to CW Post in Long Island or know about the program? I'm down to 2 choices NYU (1st choice) and CW Post and although I would love to go to NYU it's ridiculously expensive. If anyone can shine some light on Post I would really appreciate it! :)

I'm deciding between Northern Arizona U and ASU...any opinions out there?? ASU has an awesome bilingual program option but NAU is a smaller school and in beautiful Flagstaff.

Has anybody heard anything from south alabama???????? I got my waitlist letter today and am trying to figure out what my chances are for getting in............Thanks!

Hi, I've been wait listed at Northern Illinois and really want to go there. The letter got sent to my house, so I don't know what it says. Do you know if it says when the wait list people will know? Or if we can inquire about our ranking?

I'm not sure that my odds are great, but I really do want to go there. It's a good location for me, and I'm hoping to get my masters and start work ASAP, so I think this would be a good school to do so.

So if you aren't going to NIU, please tell them soon! I'm pretty sure they aren't going to tell me until after April 15th anyway, but I'm hoping my odds are decent. I emailed them today to ask if their waitlist is ranked, but I emailed them after 5:00pm central time, so I figure they won't get back to me until at least tomorrow. I hope they can tell me!

I just got accepted off Bloomsburg U. wait list this morning. Yay me! But the email said I have 6 days to accept or decline. 6 DAYS!? That is not even until April 15th! I am still waiting on 2 schools to tell me yay or ney, and 1 school which I am on the wait list for.

"If you would like to accept this offer, I will need to know your response within 1 week (by 4/13/10). Once I get an affirmative response from you, our Graduate Office will send you an official letter of acceptance."----- Does this mean I am paying a deposit or do they just not want to waste paper on me if I am going to say no?

Should I call my other schools and ask when they are in their decesion process? April 15th is sneaking up quick! What about financial aid? When do I learn anything about that? Help please!:blink:

I just got accepted off Bloomsburg U. wait list this morning. Yay me! But the email said I have 6 days to accept or decline. 6 DAYS!? That is not even until April 15th! I am still waiting on 2 schools to tell me yay or ney, and 1 school which I am on the wait list for.

"If you would like to accept this offer, I will need to know your response within 1 week (by 4/13/10). Once I get an affirmative response from you, our Graduate Office will send you an official letter of acceptance."----- Does this mean I am paying a deposit or do they just not want to waste paper on me if I am going to say no?

Should I call my other schools and ask when they are in their decesion process? April 15th is sneaking up quick! What about financial aid? When do I learn anything about that? Help please!blink.gif

Yes, you should call Bloomsburg to ask about financial aid and a possible extension on returning a decision, and also call the other schools and tell them that you need to know by 4/13. You didn't mention if Bloomsburg is your first choice school or one of the others is. I suppose that will carry some weight in making a decision. If you're concerned about whether you will receive more acceptances, you could try accepting Bloomsburg's offer and then decline if you're accepted to another more preferable school.

Edited by lene

Has anybody heard anything from south alabama???????? I got my waitlist letter today and am trying to figure out what my chances are for getting in............Thanks!

I got my acceptance letter in the mail Monday. I haven't heard about anyone else getting waitlisted. I will be turning it down though, so hopefully it will help you!

Anyone waiting to hear about fin. aid from Bloomsburg this is the response I got. Hope this helps.

The budget for the Pennsylvania State System will not be finalized until approx. June. After that point, we will be able to award assistantships based upon academic standing. If we can, we will provide you with an 1/8th time assistantship for the Fall 2010 semester. The current value of the assistantship per semester is:

Eighth-time GA’s:5 work hrs. per week

Per Semester: Receive a stipend of $652; student pays for 6 credits ($2,220) + fees

If we cannot give you funding for the Fall 2010 semester, there is an excellent possibility for the Spring 2011 semester since we will have more assistantship money to use at that time.

I am sorry that I cannot give you a definite answer re: assistantships at this point, but I still hope that you will give us serious consideration.

Applied to 3 schools...I was accepted to LIU- Brooklyn and Syracuse University. I have not heard a response as yet from Ithaca College (sort of want to go there). Any input on which I should choose?

I heard from Ithaca College about 2 weeks ago and I didn't get in. So if you haven't heard its a good thing :). Good luck

I heard from Ithaca College about 2 weeks ago and I didn't get in. So if you haven't heard its a good thing smile.gif. Good luck

Thanks , I was accepted! Now trying to decide between 2... anyone have an opinion on which is the better choice/program- Syracuse U. vs. Ithaca Coll.?

Hi. I just discovered this forum -- wish I had earlier when I was waiting!

Accepted: Worcester State College, UMASS Amherst, The College of Saint Rose

Rejected: MGH

Wait-lsited: Emerson & Northeastern University

I accepted the offer to UMASS Amherst. Anybody else plan on going there?

Has anyone heard anything about the Adelphi, LIU-Brooklyn, Lehman, and teachers college SLP programs? How do you think they rank compared to each other? Maybe opinions from people that go there or just in general. Do people that go to teachers college for the SLP MA program like it? Thanks for any input you can give me!!