Calling All SLP's!

Hi! I am trying to decide between University of Florida and University of Washington MedSLP. I'm having a lot of trouble deciding, I know they are very different schools/places but if anyone has any advice or information that would be great!

Thanks and good luck to everyone!

The reasons I have heard are that it's very expensive but they don't feel like they've actually learned anything other theory so they aren't getting their money's worth. Professors are too busy to actually respond to student's emails or really just acknowledge them at all. The funding is terrible/practically non-existant and there are all sorts of hidden fees. Group discussion and stand-alone lecture is the only type of instruction given. Not structured to handle students with jobs, although they claim to be (few night classes). Assignments tend to just be regurgitation of text, rather than meaningfully dealing with the topic at hand. And they don't particularly like a lot of the people (egotistical) nor the campus, which is very small.

ETA: I can tell you from my girlfriend's experience that I have seen pretty much all of these points to be true, and I specifically did not apply to TC because of this, even though some of my family members had gone to TC (decades ago) and wanted me to.

Wow, that's good to know. Thank you for sharing the information! Hope that it works out in the end for your girlfriend!

I just called Vanderbilt (my top choice by far) asking about my waitlist status and was told to call back Monday once they have a better idea of how many will be accepting their offer. But, the director of admissions also told me that he's sorry to keep putting me off, and it's not that they don't want me. Yes! I think if there's room they're going to accept me (or maybe that's wishful thinking).

Edited by res2135

Hi guys -

Is anyone still waiting to hear back from Emerson? I know they started notifying people the first week of February and I still haven't heard anything. It's the last school I'm waiting for. I was rejected from MGH, waitlited at Boston University, and got into Northeastern. Still waiting on Emerson though - anyone else???

Yes, I still am too. I emailed them on monday and they finally got back to me with this:

We just received a large number of Communication Disorder files back to our office today. Hopefully yours is in the group.

You are one of many applicants who have contacted us asking about their decision and the best I can tell you is that you should hear soon. Whether or not you will hear prior to needing to put in a deposit at another school is not something I can say for certain.

Thank you for your continued patience. The committee read over 600 files for your program and they want to give each applicant the time they deserve.

My results so far:

Bloomsburg: rejected for not having all preqs (undergrad psyc major)

UNC-Chapel Hill: rejected for not having all prereqs

CW Post: had an interview last week, i think around april 1st they start sending out decisions

NYU: assuming I am accepted based on scholarship email, but still waiting for official notice

Columbia TC: have not heard from at all, not even the email about them having a lot of applicants this year

Western Carolina: Accepted

Penn State: Accepted

California U. of PA: no news yet

very anxious to hear from Columbia! I applied to the bilingual track.

- studied abroad in Spain and 2 yrs of Tagalog/Filipino coursework (included this in my app since TC's program seems to favor multiculturalism)

Hey it's so interesting you did some Tagalog coursework. Are you by chance Filipino? If not then it's so great to see people interested in my country's language. Mabuhay ang mga Pilipino!

Btw I also applied to TC and I haven't received a decision or even the email saying they have made a decision. I'm getting so restless waiting!

Here's my situation:

Applied: TC, U Arizona, Howard and SDSU

Accepted: Howard and SDSU

Waiting List: U Arizona

Waiting: TC

I did my undergrad at Ohio State and majored in Spanish and Biological Sciences. I did a minor in Speech and Hearing Sciences and I totally love the field. Though it was a hard decision when I applied to grad school because I did consider graduate studies in Spanish Linguistics. So far it seems that I'm going to SDSU but I really want to know about TC. Both schools have great (Spanish) bilingual focus and I really like that grad students have the opportunity to do clinic hours in Bolivia at TC. I'm currently teaching English in Spain so applying and now waiting abroad from schools has been one of the most stressful and nerve racking experiences I've ever encountered in my life. I constantly call my parents and demand updates every day about any mail that came for me. Good thing my students help keep me distracted every day. Hehe

Also, are there any other males out there doing SLP? You women are DOMINATING this field! :P

Hey it's so interesting you did some Tagalog coursework. Are you by chance Filipino? If not then it's so great to see people interested in my country's language. Mabuhay ang mga Pilipino!

Btw I also applied to TC and I haven't received a decision or even the email saying they have made a decision. I'm getting so restless waiting!

Pilipino at lalaki ako din! :D Teaching English in Spain was actually my plan if I didn't get a job after undergrad (and if I didn't get into any grad schools this time around). So I think it's even crazier that you're *also* going into SLP. Trippy!

Looks like someone on the Results Search said they called TC and they're sending out the next round of notifications next week. So, good luck to everyone then!

Frankly, I'm getting restless too from waiting on SDSU-UCSD's joint doctoral program in Language and Communicative Disorders. I'm supposed to know before mid-next week. Ahhh!

By the way, is there anyone else in here interested in SLP research and thinking about or pursuing a PhD? Just wondering!

Hi Friends. Just heard from TC at 6:13 P.M. today and it was good news :) Good luck to the rest of you that are waiting. I've been glued to my blackberry for the past week so I know how painful it is just waiting. Phew. What a relief.

Pilipino at lalaki ako din! :D Teaching English in Spain was actually my plan if I didn't get a job after undergrad (and if I didn't get into any grad schools this time around). So I think it's even crazier that you're *also* going into SLP. Trippy!

Looks like someone on the Results Search said they called TC and they're sending out the next round of notifications next week. So, good luck to everyone then!

Frankly, I'm getting restless too from waiting on SDSU-UCSD's joint doctoral program in Language and Communicative Disorders. I'm supposed to know before mid-next week. Ahhh!

By the way, is there anyone else in here interested in SLP research and thinking about or pursuing a PhD? Just wondering!

Yay! Pilipino din ako, pero babae :)

I just found out that I got accepted to Northwestern. I'm so excited! woohoo! Though, I'm still waiting on TC.

So far:

Accepted: Boston U, Emerson, Northwestern

Rejected: MGH

Waiting: Columbia TC

Good luck everyone!

I'm also trying to decide whether or not I should attend Northwestern. I don't know much about the program other than what I've read online and I haven't been able to visit the school yet. Does anyone have insight into the program? Has anyone talked to current students or graduates of the program? For those who are considering or have accepted NW, why did you choose this school over others? I visited Emerson, BU, and MGH last year. I'm interested in finding out how people think the programs, facilities, etc. compare.

Does anyone know when NW sends out funding offers? I feel like I can't decide on NW until I hear about funding. Although I want to attend NW, I'm sure I can receive a great education at other schools without breaking the bank. Any advice you can provide to help me make my decision is much appreciated.

Just to add to the conversation - I'm attempting to decide between UW's MedSLP program and Purdue. UW is giving me $10k (possibly renewable), and Purdue would be essentially free... but I'm interested in hospital work. Does anyone know about Purdue's medical credentials v. UW's?

Just to add to the conversation - I'm attempting to decide between UW's MedSLP program and Purdue. UW is giving me $10k (possibly renewable), and Purdue would be essentially free... but I'm interested in hospital work. Does anyone know about Purdue's medical credentials v. UW's?

Holy moly! That's awesome. Sorry, I don't know anything about Purdue, but I've only heard terrific things about the MedSLP at UW from current students in the program. Again, I know nothing about Purdue, but UW does have a hospital and an excellent medical school -- that was a big draw for me.

I'm also trying to decide between UW MedSLP and other places. But the money is certainly a factor. Did UW offer you money in the same letter as your decision, or was it something that came later? I'm planning on talking to the department about funding when they're back from spring break this week and am deciding on the best way to go about it...

Hello, I was just wondering if anyone knew the chances of getting accepted after being wait listed. I was recently notified that I was wait listed at my #1 school. I have heard that some schools don't even look at their wait lists since they accept almost double the amount they actually have room for. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this or know anything about my chances after being put on a wait list?

Here's my situation:

Applied: TC, U Arizona, Howard and SDSU

Accepted: Howard and SDSU

Waiting List: U Arizona

Waiting: TC

I did my undergrad at Ohio State and majored in Spanish and Biological Sciences. I did a minor in Speech and Hearing Sciences and I totally love the field. Though it was a hard decision when I applied to grad school because I did consider graduate studies in Spanish Linguistics. So far it seems that I'm going to SDSU but I really want to know about TC. Both schools have great (Spanish) bilingual focus and I really like that grad students have the opportunity to do clinic hours in Bolivia at TC. I'm currently teaching English in Spain so applying and now waiting abroad from schools has been one of the most stressful and nerve racking experiences I've ever encountered in my life. I constantly call my parents and demand updates every day about any mail that came for me. Good thing my students help keep me distracted every day. Hehe

Also, are there any other males out there doing SLP? You women are DOMINATING this field! :P

This is weird because I applied to TC, ASU, SDSU and NYU, I got accepted at Columbia and SDSU rejected from ASU and still waiting on NYU although I feel like i didnt get in, based on my sucky interview performance haha wups! Oh well they dont hav a bilingual program anyways, why did I apply again? I am Spanish-Media Arts undergrad, Spanish Masters-grad, and male too. I am about to also have a nervous breakdown because I dont know which to pick!!! SDSU gave me an assistatnship 5hrs a week for about 1200 per semester for the first year, not a lot but ill take it. they also "nominated" me to get instate tution the first year. Columbia hasnt given me nada but I did apply for a fellowship thatd be 10,000 possibly each year for 2 years, you probably also applied to it. I love NYU and the demographic and Columbia is very prestigious but does that even matter when I'm going to be in supermegadebt and TC isn't even listed in the top 20 schools. Plus my family is in Arizona and SDSU is cheaper perhaps better and more practical. No se lo que hacer...

Hello, I was just wondering if anyone knew the chances of getting accepted after being wait listed. I was recently notified that I was wait listed at my #1 school. I have heard that some schools don't even look at their wait lists since they accept almost double the amount they actually have room for. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this or know anything about my chances after being put on a wait list?

I was wondering the same thing. I was waitl listed at one school and the letter said "You are in our top-tier of wait list students". The other school I got wait listed from I had to reply if I wanted to be kept on the list or be crossed off since it wasn't an immediate acceptance. I want to call and ask how their systems work (are students weighted? can I find out what number I am from the top? etc) but I don't want to be the annoying millionth call that day about silly things like that. Why don't they just post this stuff online!? Jeeze people. You have people freaking out, give them something! :P

I just got into Gallaudet today. Does anyone know anything about Gallaudet SLP? I am tri-lingual and want to do research in deaf studies and american sign language, but I was wondering if anyone knew anything else.

I just got into Gallaudet today. Does anyone know anything about Gallaudet SLP? I am tri-lingual and want to do research in deaf studies and american sign language, but I was wondering if anyone knew anything else.

I've heard amazing, AMAZING things about Gallaudet. A friend of mine is going there for grad school (in another area) and has been coaching women's basketball. She's now fluent in ASL after going in knowing nothing, and if you really want to focus on deaf culture, ASL, etc. but still do the speech component, I would say that program is one of your best bets. Congrats! I would take that school in a heartbeat if I had applied and been accepted :)

Edited by basquegirlie

I'm from Canada and have applied to a total of 5 schools from Canada and the States.

1. University of Toronto - waiting

2. Ithaca College (NY) - waiting

3. Bowling Green State University (OH) - Waitlisted

4. University of Alberta - waiting

5. Dalhousie University (NS) - waiting

Does anyone know the general rule (if there is one) for the length of a waitlist? In other words, are waitlists closely based on the school's previous number of waitlist acceptances, or do they usually have a considerable cushion (i.e. Program size is 28, are there 28 or more people on the waitlist, or would there be maybe only 10 people if the school typically only offers admission to 5 people on the waitlist)? Thanks, and good luck!

That's a good question. I know that The University of Alabama accepted 26 students, and 10 are on the waiting list. It is a very competitive program with over 200 applicants.

I'm from Canada and have applied to a total of 5 schools from Canada and the States.

1. University of Toronto - waiting

2. Ithaca College (NY) - waiting

3. Bowling Green State University (OH) - Waitlisted

4. University of Alberta - waiting

5. Dalhousie University (NS) - waiting

Does anyone know the general rule (if there is one) for the length of a waitlist? In other words, are waitlists closely based on the school's previous number of waitlist acceptances, or do they usually have a considerable cushion (i.e. Program size is 28, are there 28 or more people on the waitlist, or would there be maybe only 10 people if the school typically only offers admission to 5 people on the waitlist)? Thanks, and good luck!

I think schools differ in the length of their waitlists and how they process them. Probably the best way to determine how a certain school deals with their waitlist is to contact the school directly.

This is what I read on Northwestern's site FAQ. It seems from the numbers stated below that NW accepts a large number of applicants expecting many to turn them down, and only after the number of attendees has dropped below the ideal class size would they go to the waitlist. The chances of getting off the waitlist are probably slim. But again, probably talking directly to the school you're interested in would be best.

How many students apply and are accepted each year?

The average number of applications for the Master's program in speech-language pathology for the past several years has been approximately 200-225. About 45-50% of those who apply are admitted. The average number of students matriculating in each of the past several years has been approximately 40-45.

I think schools differ in the length of their waitlists and how they process them. Probably the best way to determine how a certain school deals with their waitlist is to contact the school directly.

This is what I read on Northwestern's site FAQ. It seems from the numbers stated below that NW accepts a large number of applicants expecting many to turn them down, and only after the number of attendees has dropped below the ideal class size would they go to the waitlist. The chances of getting off the waitlist are probably slim. But again, probably talking directly to the school you're interested in would be best.

How many students apply and are accepted each year?

The average number of applications for the Master's program in speech-language pathology for the past several years has been approximately 200-225. About 45-50% of those who apply are admitted. The average number of students matriculating in each of the past several years has been approximately 40-45.

Thank you both, that's good feedback. It's nice to see the reasoning (with examples!) of a small waitlist and a large one. My hope is for the small one! My e-mail from BGSU stated that once the current accepted applicants have made their decisions by April 15, then beginning April 17 they will be able to offer spots to the waitlist and to tell us where we are on the waitlist. So, this would tell me that it's ranked, and probably that they did not do a mass acceptance and stuck with their number of 28 available positions.