Calling All SLP's!

Just to add to the conversation - I'm attempting to decide between UW's MedSLP program and Purdue. UW is giving me $10k (possibly renewable), and Purdue would be essentially free... but I'm interested in hospital work. Does anyone know about Purdue's medical credentials v. UW's?

Purdue is ranked #2 compared to UW, which is #5. The med program @ UW is about 45K, granted you were awarded 10K to help the cost and possibly another 10K the following year. Did you get a full ride to Purdue? or is it instate for you? To be honest, you're going to have an amazing opportunity at Purdue in the hospital setting as well. I think it's really important to have a really well rounded program so that you're able to have the experience and knowledge in all areas. You will have opportunities at Purdue to work in the hospital setting and great opportunities to do your internship and possible CFY somewhere different where you could learn even more. UW is a great school, but if I were you and I could go to Purdue for basically nothing, that would be my number 1 choice. You're going to come out of Purdue with an amazing education and become a very well rounded professional by going there. Even though at UW you would be in the MED program, you’re still going to be taking classes that aren’t just medical related. Obviously you’re going to have more of a emphasis on swallowing and all of your internships will be in the hospital, but at Purdue you’ll have that opportunity to work in the hospitals a ton and have other opportunities that maybe right now you’re not interested in, but once you start the program maybe you’ll really enjoy other areas of the field not just the medical side.

I have had some friends go to UW and either they love it or hate it. It's very expensive to live in Seattle, the traffic is awful, it takes forever to get anywhere, the UW clinic is pretty old, The campus is gigantic and you're always having to walk in the rain b/c parking there is a pain. Depending on where you live, it can be very difficult to get to the grocery store or even a target. They have a bus system, but I wouldn’t want to ride on the bus for 2 hours a day, when I could be working on grad school stuff. I would like to be somewhere that it's much easier to access all of my necessities. Being in grad school you're not going to have the time to be running around or taking an hour to get to the grocery store. I heard that Purdue is a wonderful community. You're still close to the big city but your way of life seems like it'l just be so much stress free. I have heard of a few people that dropped out of UW's program or were very tempted to over the years because of the faculty and the program it's self. Granted you'll get that probably anywhere.

Another good point that many have brought up to me about this process and the field of Speech Pathology is that it really it doesn’t matter where you go. You’re going to end up graduating with a degree. When it comes to getting a job even the person that graduated from a lower ranked school is going to be just as well educated and will get a job anywhere. Obviously if you’re interested in pursuing a PhD, you’d want to go to a bigger school and the best of the best if possible. Coming out of grad school you’ll be able to get a great job, basically name your price, b/c you’ll be in demand. Do you really want to have a ton of debt? Not only by going to UW you’ll be paying 25K-35K (which would include your awarded funding, but all of your living expenses on top of that, travel to wherever you’re from etc.You could easily be in75-100K in debt by going to UW for two years. If you can go to Purdue for almost nothing you should go. I’m sure you’ll be really happy at Purdue and knowing that you’re going to be able to save money and not have a huge student loans to pay back will be Amazing coming out of grad school. I wish you the best!! I know these decisions are really hard to make, but it’s not only about the program and what hospital experience you’re going to get, you have to happy where you're going to live too. Purdue is not ranked #2 for just focusing on the school setting, that would be a CA State school. It’s ranked up there for obvious reasons and when making your decision, you should really consider the financial piece to it. In the end you’re going to love wherever you are, it’s going to be the toughest 2 years of your life and making sure that everything else in your life is not stressful is important. Purdue is one of the top of the top schools, granted UW is #5 and it's a great school as well. Just be sure to take all aspects into consideration. You may love UW, but you're not going to love the huge student loan you have to pay back, especially when you graduate and you'll want ot buy a house or travel, you'll have to spend it on your student loans.

\

Here is some info on Purdue and the community! This alone makes it a no brainer for me!! I'd be Purdue all the way!!!! :D

Purdue University is proud of its hometown of West Lafayette, Indiana. West Lafayette and the neighboring city of Lafayette, also known as Greater Lafayette, combine big city arts and entertainment with small town charm, convenience, and affordability. Purdue University is located near several major metropolitan cities:

One hour from Indianapolis, the capital of Indiana.

Two hours from Chicago, Illinois.

Three hours from Cincinnati, Ohio.

Four hours from St. Louis, Missouri and Detroit, Michigan.

Lafayette and West Lafayette

Housing

Local Media

Local Schools

Transportation

Child Care

Local Weather

Visit Greater Lafayette

Lafayette and West Lafayette - Two great cities one great university!

Home to four distinct seasons, the climate of Greater Lafayette includes a gorgeous summer, colorful fall, white winter, and vibrant spring. Residents enjoy year-round cultural events as well as many other activities. This combination of big city activity and small-town charm is one of the reasons Greater Lafayette is consistently ranked nationally as a great place to live, work, and raise a family.

The area is filled with beautiful turn of the century architecture. Lafayette's historic downtown is filled with antique, art, and other eclectic shops. During the summer, the Historic Lafayette Farmers Market fills the streets. The dining scene is as varied as a big city's with Arabic, Cajun, French, Greek, Hawaiian, Indian, Irish, Italian, Mexican, and Russian cuisine. The nightlife is fun and inviting with pubs, clubs, and even a local brewery. Whether you are looking for local music, a place to hang out with friends, or a place to dance, the nightlife offers excitement and variety.

Farmers Market visitors browse items for sale from local vendors. Throughout the summer, both West Lafayette and Lafayette host Farmers Markets.

Many Purdue students take advantage of the free CityBus system. ****Seattle, parking and transportation costs a lot!!!****

You can also fill your calendar with a variety of festivals and sporting events. As a member of the Big Ten Conference, Purdue University's numerous athletic teams provide exciting sporting events throughout the year. Purdue also offers a number of plays and shows each year, from Shakespeare to STOMP, for the whole family.

The community provides one of the best bus systems in the country, offering free local transportation to Purdue faculty, staff, and students. For bus schedules and maps, visit the Greater Lafayette CityBus Web site.

The Greater Lafayette area also offers a cost-of-living below the national average, an advantage for graduate students on a limited budget. This means you may purchase more for your money, and enjoy a better standard of living compared to other areas. Visit the cost of living Web page to compare Greater Lafayette's cost-of-living to other university locations in the United States.

****In Seattle, all of this is so expensive!! I think Purdue would be a wonderful opportunity for a wonderful graduate education and it seems like it's really an area welcoming to college students. I really think that you would be happy at Purdue over UW!!!

**** Best of luck! Only you can really decide what school is going to be best suited for you, but i hope this helps in some way to get a bigger picture of your graduate school experience! Keep us updated on what you decide!!! :)

A school just took me from mile high to rock bottom in about 5 minutes. I got an email about financial aid (means I'm in right!?), transferred to admissions, told they don't have my college transcripts and they don't have my GREs. Whaaaaat?! The deadline is like a month past! She was like "You never got a notice that your application was incomplete?" I was like "No. Just the opposite, I emailed and was told they would contact if/when they needed more info". I swore up and down to her that I mailed/requested everything and she felt really bad for me, but told me most likely I had to reapply for Spring admissions since the deadline is so far past. After we hung up I searched through my paperwork and found the receipt from one of my colleges saying they mailed my transcripts on 1/8! I called back with an ingenius idea, don't know why I didn't think of it before I hung up the first time... college/GRE was under my maiden name, I applied under my married name. Hopefully she finds everything and connects the dots. Praying they are still looking at applications in the department, or that they will at least look at mine since it was a clerical error, not really my fault! The application asked for the name that my records would be sent under. Totally bummed at the moment. Not that I reallllly wanted to go there, just that it is a possible "no" because of a mistake not my academics/person. Good thoughts/karma sent my way would be appreciated. :(

Hi everyone! I am trying decide between Purdue and Emerson. Obviously they are both very different, but I was wondering if anyone could give me your prospective of each. I have a double major in CD and psych and am involved in a research grant. I am very interested in Autism and neurogenic communicative disorders. I am also planning on doing a masters thesis. My plan is to eventually pursue a Ph.D or SLP.D after working a few years in a rehab/medical setting. I haven't visited either school, but I plan on going to both next weekend to get a better feel of the programs.

This is weird because I applied to TC, ASU, SDSU and NYU, I got accepted at Columbia and SDSU rejected from ASU and still waiting on NYU although I feel like i didnt get in, based on my sucky interview performance haha wups! Oh well they dont hav a bilingual program anyways, why did I apply again? I am Spanish-Media Arts undergrad, Spanish Masters-grad, and male too. I am about to also have a nervous breakdown because I dont know which to pick!!! SDSU gave me an assistatnship 5hrs a week for about 1200 per semester for the first year, not a lot but ill take it. they also "nominated" me to get instate tution the first year. Columbia hasnt given me nada but I did apply for a fellowship thatd be 10,000 possibly each year for 2 years, you probably also applied to it. I love NYU and the demographic and Columbia is very prestigious but does that even matter when I'm going to be in supermegadebt and TC isn't even listed in the top 20 schools. Plus my family is in Arizona and SDSU is cheaper perhaps better and more practical. No se lo que hacer...

Creo que ya sabes que debes hacer. Jaja. La oportunidad en SDSU a mi me parece muy bien para los bilingues, especialmente los que hablan castellano. Encima de eso, ya te ofrecieron un assistanship que aunque no es mucho, es algo. Suerte con tu decision!

Did anyone hear from Teachers College yet ?

haven't heard yet, but I called yesterday to ask how soon they are planning to send out decisions. I got a call back this morning (just a message since I missed the call) saying that they plan to have all decisions available on April 15th on the application website. I called them back to ask how that's supposed to work when my other schools need me to reply to their offers BY April 15th. Just left a message, and hopefully it didn't sound too annoyed...

Seems like some people have already heard by email or by checking that website, so I plan to check it regularly. SOOO frustrating!

haven't heard yet, but I called yesterday to ask how soon they are planning to send out decisions. I got a call back this morning (just a message since I missed the call) saying that they plan to have all decisions available on April 15th on the application website. I called them back to ask how that's supposed to work when my other schools need me to reply to their offers BY April 15th. Just left a message, and hopefully it didn't sound too annoyed...

Seems like some people have already heard by email or by checking that website, so I plan to check it regularly. SOOO frustrating!

Thanks bananna,

They should send out a an email informing us about the delay. I think it is highly insensitive of these administrators to let us hang like this. It's the least they can do.

I'm also trying to decide whether or not I should attend Northwestern. I don't know much about the program other than what I've read online and I haven't been able to visit the school yet. Does anyone have insight into the program? Has anyone talked to current students or graduates of the program? For those who are considering or have accepted NW, why did you choose this school over others? I visited Emerson, BU, and MGH last year. I'm interested in finding out how people think the programs, facilities, etc. compare.

Does anyone know when NW sends out funding offers? I feel like I can't decide on NW until I hear about funding. Although I want to attend NW, I'm sure I can receive a great education at other schools without breaking the bank. Any advice you can provide to help me make my decision is much appreciated.

I was trying to decide between NW and NYU. I had some good reasons to keep NYU in the running for awhile, but the more I think about it the clearer it becomes. NW is #2 on US news rankings ... which definitely shouldn't be a deciding factor in and of itself... but I've only ever heard great things about the program. And considering I've heard good AND BAD about every other program, that says a lot. It's expensive, sure... and that's definitely a serious thing to think about. As others have pointed out, it doesn't really matter where you go- you'll get a job either way. But in my case, I'm undecided about whether or not I want to continue to get my PhD, so I'd like to keep my options open by going to the best school possible. I also really, truly care about the quality of my education (like for the sake of learning, not just for professional outcomes) and I have a feeling NW is tops. Plus, keep in mind that SLP's have basically 100% job security... loans might take awhile to repay, but you can definitely pay them. Icing on my cake: Chicago is supposed to be an incredible city! I can't think of a single thing besides the cost that would prevent me from going.

Here's an email I received recently regarding NW scholarships:

"Departmental scholarships are offered to approximately ½ of admitted students. All admitted students are automatically considered; it is not necessary to apply for a departmental scholarship. Offers are made in “rounds.” The first round of offers will be made approximately April 1st and acceptances for that round will be due approximately April 15th. Based on the number of declines, we will then be able to make further offers.

The scholarship amount offered to 1st year students is usually the same amount offered for the 2nd year of study. In rare cases, 2nd years receive a somewhat larger amount based on GPA and clinical performance."

Thanks bananna,

They should send out a an email informing us about the delay. I think it is highly insensitive of these administrators to let us hang like this. It's the least they can do.

I agree--they're being ridiculous. They must know the deadline for other schools is April 15th. Yesterday I finally spoke with someone from the department, and she said the admissions committee was working "as fast as possible" and notifying people as soon as they made a decision on an application. I don't understand what we're supposed to do if April 15th rolls around and we still haven't heard though. She didn't have an answer for me either. :/

Here's an email I received recently regarding NW scholarships:

"Departmental scholarships are offered to approximately ½ of admitted students. All admitted students are automatically considered; it is not necessary to apply for a departmental scholarship. Offers are made in “rounds.” The first round of offers will be made approximately April 1st and acceptances for that round will be due approximately April 15th. Based on the number of declines, we will then be able to make further offers.

The scholarship amount offered to 1st year students is usually the same amount offered for the 2nd year of study. In rare cases, 2nd years receive a somewhat larger amount based on GPA and clinical performance."

I've accepted admission to NW for next fall but I didn't get this e-mail about scholarships. :-(

Does anyone know if that means that I'm not in the first "round"? Or if the e-mail will be coming to everyone eventually?

Thanks!

I've accepted admission to NW for next fall but I didn't get this e-mail about scholarships. :-(

Does anyone know if that means that I'm not in the first "round"? Or if the e-mail will be coming to everyone eventually?

Thanks!

Sorry... don't worry! I should have mentioned that email was in response to my own inquiry. I haven't seen an offer yet either. Fingers crossed! :)

Hello. I just wanted to say I accepted an offer to attend UNC Chapel Hill's program. I just declined Teachers College, Emerson, University of Florida, University of Central Florida, East Carolina University (about a week ago), and University of South Carolina-Columbia (about a week and a half ago). I hope declining these offers will open up some spots and help some people on the waitlist!

Congrats remixed! And yeah, Emerson has definitely been notifying people for a month now. I called yesterday and they said they should be finished with decisions "in the next two weeks." I got the feeling they weren't going to be sending anyone anything for at least two weeks though, which doesn't really leave anyone much time. "Luckily" for me it won't matter anyway since I have yet to be actually accepted anywhere.

I heard Emerson had 550 applicants or more to their MS-SLP program- that must be why its taking a long time for decisions!

Sorry... don't worry! I should have mentioned that email was in response to my own inquiry. I haven't seen an offer yet either. Fingers crossed! :)

Oh! Okay thanks! Fingers crossed for both of us! See you in Evanston if you decide on NW! :D

Did anyone receive an accepted students email from NYU without having received their official acceptance yet?

I did, but I interviewed late and was wondering if maybe it was just a glitch?

I'm still waiting on funding...was that info present on the official acceptance?

Is anyone attending the Teachers College admitted students weekend next week? If so, any ideas on what to wear. Also, I'm a little confused on the times of the events because on the website it says starts on April 9th at 8 A.M. and ends on April 10th on 3:30 P.M. Whet time does it end on April 9th and what time does it start on April 10th?

Applied to 3 schools...I was accepted to LIU- Brooklyn and Syracuse University. I have not heard a response as yet from Ithaca College (sort of want to go there). Any input on which I should choose?

Is anyone attending the Teachers College admitted students weekend next week? If so, any ideas on what to wear. Also, I'm a little confused on the times of the events because on the website it says starts on April 9th at 8 A.M. and ends on April 10th on 3:30 P.M. Whet time does it end on April 9th and what time does it start on April 10th?

What? There's an admitted students weekend?? I thought they're still releasing decisions? Should I just assume that since I haven't heard, that I'm rejected? :(

What? There's an admitted students weekend?? I thought they're still releasing decisions? Should I just assume that since I haven't heard, that I'm rejected? :(

Flowergirl and Elle I would not assume you are rejected until you actually hear that you are rejected. TC has its admitted students weekend next weekend and NYU have theirs this coming Tuesday.Many students have not accepted their offers because the deadline does not pass. After people attend these events they are more likely to send in their decisions. I am predicting after these events happen is when you will start to hear your decisions. And, I am quite sure they will have a second round of these admitted students events somewhere down the line. Don't stress!

Edited by ainos123

Flowergirl and Elle I would not assume you are rejected until you actually hear that you are rejected. TC has its admitted students weekend next weekend and NYU have theirs this coming Tuesday.Many students have not accepted their offers because the deadline does not pass. After people attend these events they are more likely to send in their decisions. I am predicting after these events happen is when you will start to hear your decisions. And, I am quite sure they will have a second round of these admitted students events somewhere down the line. Don't stress!

Thanks ainos! I'm pretty sure I'm going to Northwestern, but I really just want closure from Columbia...haha :)