Fall 2018 French

frenchlover

@Monsieur Vénus Thanks! Boston is VERY high on my list of schools. But that's the tough thing. 4/5 of my top 5 picks have accepted me. My fifth, Maryland, hasn't responded yet. I have no idea how I'm going to choose. What about you? Is Boston a top pick? Congrats again, and I hope to see you at the open house!

@HomewardBound Boston is definitely very high up there for me too. Dorothy Kelly's research interests map very closely onto my own. I think finding out how much funding they would give me is going to be a pretty big decider for them, though, because Boston is such an expensive city to live in, and salaries for my partner's field out there are pretty low

Y'all have any recommendations for phone calls with professors at potential schools? One of the professors at BU emailed me earlier today to let me know he would be calling me this afternoon for a conversation about the school. It's not an interview, because they've already admitted me, but I'm still so nervous about talking on the phone with him!

@Monsieur Vénus Well, that's terrifying news! I haven't heard about the call yet, but eek. Phone calls can be terrifying, but I've found that most of the calls with schools are lowkey. They've accepted you, which usually means that they'll mainly be trying to answer your additional questions, court you a bit, and that kind of thing. Let me know if your experience is different!

Edited by HomewardBound

@HomewardBound you were exactly right. The professor basically went on a bit of a spiel explaining that he read some of my writing sample and that he thought some of his research would mesh well with mine. Tried to sell me on the university and the city, told me a million different books I should read, and then asked if I had any questions. Not nearly as scary as I had expected.

I had two wonderful calls with professors. One of them even told me that regardless of where I went I could let him know and always network because we have the same interest in Algeria. He was very kind. 

I had a third call that went okay--my phone signal was awful. I much prefer Skype now because I live in a rural place where phones hate me :unsure: