Fall 2018 French

frenchlover

@senorbrightside Oh no! Let's cross fingers and toes that the three pending schools will be great (and funded) news. I know someone else on this forum who was getting bad news, only to get fully funded into an awesome M.A. program. You'll get there! Congrats on McGill, by the way!

7 hours ago, HomewardBound said:

@awhiterussian Congratulations on Columbia. For what it's worth, I'd turn it down in a heartbeat. They may be the "best program" for something, but there are a lot of great schools out there that won't put you into debt for your education. I think you can do (and have done!) better.

If you're really set on Columbia, though, you could let them know that you have funded offers, and that, while you're interested in Columbia, you'd like to explore funding possibilities. I did that with a few universities in terms of moving expenses, and I was shocked at how receptive they were. Might be worth a try!

Thanks for your help!!

Yeah, don't lose hope -- I made the conscious decision to only apply to tippy-top PhD programs in French, and, as anticipated, it did not go very well for many reasons. I did get into my #2 choice MA program w/ funding, and I'm happy with it. I'd much rather go into a PhD program immediately (for transfer graduate coursework reasons -- as much as I like coursework I'd rather do 2 more years than 4), so I'll wait for the four-five schools that have been super quiet w/ me. 

Anyhow, the MA program will give me 2 years to become a better student of literature, && I'll gain some experience in teaching. It would give me time to reflect on whether to actually get a PhD in French as well (given the dismal job market). Some interests surpass the ebb and flow of the academic job market, which is probably why we are all here. But talking to some exceptional graduate students in the 7th year, even at top programs, was truly heartbreaking (both over email and over my one campus visit).

Edited by frenchlover

9 hours ago, frenchlover said:

Yeah, don't lose hope -- I made the conscious decision to only apply to tippy-top PhD programs in French, and, as anticipated, it did not go very well for many reasons. I did get into my #2 choice MA program w/ funding, and I'm happy with it. I'd much rather go into a PhD program immediately (for transfer graduate coursework reasons -- as much as I like coursework I'd rather do 2 more years than 4), so I'll wait for the four-five schools that have been super quiet w/ me. 

Anyhow, the MA program will give me 2 years to become a better student of literature, && I'll gain some experience in teaching. It would give me time to reflect on whether to actually get a PhD in French as well (given the dismal job market). Some interests surpass the ebb and flow of the academic job market, which is probably why we are all here. But talking to some exceptional graduate students in the 7th year, even at top programs, was truly heartbreaking (both over email and over my one campus visit).

Re-analysing application choices and why we didn't apply to so-and-so place vs why we chose to apply to certain places where the chances were next to impossible etc etc are thoughts that plague me (and I'm guessing a lot of us) all the time. But you have some solid reasoning to go ahead with a funded MA program and I wish you all the luck. 

I have been wondering about the dismal job market too. It seems like everyone wants to prepare prospective students about this, professors, current grad students, everyone. Which is a good thing in a way because one needs to be realistic about this. But the funny part is that despite this impending doom of no jobs and the constant pressure of building a successful life in academia, why is it that most of us still choose to get into the PhD? It's like we know what's coming for us but we live with the hope that it'll all work out. 

Apologies for this random post. I've been in a reflective mood the past few weeks I guess. 

On other news, I'm still waiting to hear from NYU. Wondering if I should email someone at the department.

Got rejects from most other places. I'll be visiting IU next week so I'm excited and nervous about that. 

Congrats on UVA, Northwestern, CUNY, Maryland you guys! 

And for the rest who are waiting to hear something, hang in there and best of luck! Fingers crossed for good news!

My visit to WashU was so fantastic. It was wonderful to talk to students (from first year to ones who found jobs teaching) and faculty, and especially, imo, talk to other applicants. I love a lot of things about the program and area.

Now I rest for a couple days until my next visit.

For anyone reading this in the future--visits are great great great. I feel like websites will just never do justice to a program, you just have to go if possible.

On 01/03/2018 at 3:03 PM, HomewardBound said:

@awhiterussian Congratulations on Columbia. For what it's worth, I'd turn it down in a heartbeat. They may be the "best program" for something, but there are a lot of great schools out there that won't put you into debt for your education. I think you can do (and have done!) better.

If you're really set on Columbia, though, you could let them know that you have funded offers, and that, while you're interested in Columbia, you'd like to explore funding possibilities. I did that with a few universities in terms of moving expenses, and I was shocked at how receptive they were. Might be worth a try!

I second this! You have some great options already @awhiterussian

Also while it's true some programs are stronger in an area (like Francophone/colonial studies) than others, I think lots of amazing professors who specialize in that area can be found in schools that are maybe not as well known for that field as other schools. From what I've heard it's one of the most popular subfields of French right now so I think lots of professors will be open to students working on that!

During my visit to WashU a professor mentioned that one of the professors I cited the most for my senior thesis teaches at UNebraska-Lincoln. That's a school that I overlooked, but if I knew about that earlier maybe I would've applied because his work intrigued me (then again--Nebraska). Sometimes it could be about finding the right person. Interests could change too, grad students told me they've seen their interests change as they took classes. 

Hi Y'all!

I have just discovered this forum! So excited not be to alone in the waiting game. 

I have applied to LSU, Univ of Miami, Tulane, and Univ of Texas at Austin for the PhD in French lit or French Studies. I have been accepted at LSU, waitlisted at Tulane and waiting on the other schools. I have contacted them all since I can't stand the wait any longer!

I have read your posts and wonder about the interview process. I have received an acceptance email from LSU with funding, travel expenses fro research and conferences.... They offer to set up a Skype to answer my questions. Is that the interview or not? How could they offer acceptance and then take it away? I am somewhat lost in the process. 

Edited by Frenchlady

49 minutes ago, Frenchlady said:

Hi Y'all!

I have just discovered this forum! So excited not be to alone in the waiting game. 

I have applied to LSU, Univ of Miami, Tulane, and Univ of Texas at Austin for the PhD in French lit or French Studies. I have been accepted at LSU, waitlisted at Tulane and waiting on the other schools. I have contacted them all since I can't stand the wait any longer!

I have read your posts and wonder about the interview process. I have received an acceptance email from LSU with funding, travel expenses fro research and conferences.... They offer to set up a Skype to answer my questions. Is that the interview or not? How could they offer acceptance and then take it away? I am somewhat lost in the process. 

Congrats!  LSU doesn’t interview, so you’re in!

I haven’t heard anything from Tulane yet!  Lucky!

@Madamoiselle

I had the chance to be on campus mid-February. I accompanied my sister who was giving a paper at a conference there. I took the opportunity to meet with Dr Wettlaufer to discuss the program... I have not heard from them so I am guessing I am waitlisted. I visited campus, the Harris Ransom Center (OMG this is amazing...) LSU and Austin are my top choices. crossing fingers I get Austin. 

On 3/1/2018 at 3:03 PM, HomewardBound said:

I did that with a few universities in terms of moving expenses, and I was shocked at how receptive they were.

Could you explain how you broached a conversation about moving expenses with programs some? This has been something I've been wondering about because the cost of moving to any of my programs is going to be so daunting, but I had absolutely no idea whether asking for help with moving was allowed and was just about to decide to give up the thought entirely!

@Green.Mango I completely get where you're coming from about prospective job opportunities. All of the professors that I consider to be my mentors here at my undergrad have had conversations with me about the dismal nature of the current academic job market, but I just know that there's nothing I want to be doing more than teaching AND doing research. On a slightly more depressing note, I've also just noticed that growing up poor has given me an outlook on my future career (that is probably not healthy) where I just sort of say to myself, "As long as I'm not as poor as I was growing up, I'm happy!" So really for me it's all about the fact that I've loved being in academia thus far, so if I can find any way at all to stay in it, that's the direction I want to go.

Back to a lighter note: Enjoy your visit to IU! The weather here has taken a turn for the better, although it's started to get chilly again. If you have any down time and need recommendations on places to check out or eat at, let me know and I can share some of my favorites. :D

@Monsieur Vénus I just mentioned that one of my fears was the cost of moving to a new place. That was it. Then they surprised me by emailing me offers for moving expenses. So...just mentioning the difficulty seems to have helped a lot. Three of my options are offering very generous moving/settling in stipends now. It never hurts to mention, I guess!

On 04/03/2018 at 5:27 PM, madamoiselle said:

@Frenchlady welcome, welcome! Keep me updated on UT Austin. Who are you planning to work with there? That's where I did my undergraduate and I had a great experience! 

And I have an interview with UT at Austin on Thursday. How do I prepare in such a short time? My first and I guess only PhD interview! 

I had no idea some schools help to settle in. That's fantastic.

@Monsieur Vénus that's my outlook on grad school too! I've seen my father raise a family of 6 with 30k a year so when I see a stipend of 20k or above I'm already happy. And I'm doing academia as you said more out of affinity for it than for money, though from my conversation with graduates the situation is indeed bleak. Oh well, that's something to worry about later for sure.

@Frenchlady I'm also having an interview soon so I'm perhaps not much help but I've heard just looking up professors' research areas could help. I'm sure they just want to know your interests to see if you're a fit for their program. Good luck!

6 hours ago, Frenchlady said:

And I have an interview with UT at Austin on Thursday. How do I prepare in such a short time? My first and I guess only PhD interview! 

I wouldn't stress too much! I had a campus visit/interview at UVA, and I was really anxious because it was my first in-person interview. But the professors don't make any of the discussions feel like an interview at all; they won't grill you. They really just want to see if you'll be a good fit for the school/if the school will be a good fit for you!

@Frenchlady Congrats! I agree with @Saltshaker. There's no need to worry!

@Carly Rae Jepsen Oof. While what @frenchlover said is true, it's a lousy situation to be in. "You can follow your dreams for the low, low price of $47,000...per year!"